Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
BobCat

How often do you do traffic stops?

Traffic Stops  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's your role?

• Special Constable
    • Regular Police Officer - Response / Patrol
    • Regular Police Officer - Neighbourhoods / Community Engagement
    • Regular Police Officer - Roads Policing or related
    • Regular Police Offier - Detective
    • Regular Police Officer - Other
    • I'm not a Cop
  2. 2. How many traffic stops do you do in an average shift?

• None
    • 1-2
    • 3-5
    • 6-10
    • 10+
  3. 3. Why do you do the stops you do?

• Traffic offences - Only if I've seen / identified an offence
    • Rountine traffic stop - looking for potential traffic offences / doing traffic enforcement
    • Sixth sense tells me to stop the vehicle
    • All of the above
    • Other

I was having a conversation earlier and there was a suggestion that there is a lot of cops don't make much use of the power to stop vehicles as much as they used to - for whatever reason.

I think section 163 of the Road Traffic Act is great.... it allows you to stop anybody driving a car and you can do some digging on them, should you feel it warranted. If you watch programmes like Traffic Cops, Police Interceptors, Road Wars, etc these guys get some great results just from pulling cars over and being thorough when doing their stops.

So, my question is, how often do you make use of this power? And if you don't, why don't you? Do you feel that your colleagues are under using 163?

I've made a brief poll but please feel free to comment and discuss below.

Edited by BobCat

I'm not a copper, we don't do traffic stops, we do safety interventions. Normally for insecure loads, vehicle defects etc. We take them to the hard shoulder and allow them to rectify the fault, secure the load before allowing them to continue with their journey.

The "other" I have chosen is when there are specific target vehicles for CKB etc in the area. We stop to check that they are the owners and to advise the owners of the risks.

The "other" I have chosen is when there are specific target vehicles for CKB etc in the area. We stop to check that they are the owners and to advise the owners of the risks.

CKB? I'm guessing car key burglaries?

Always when the opportunities arose because regulars stopped doing them due to workload and traffic are a figment of the imagination most shifts (not their fault - cuts).

Minor original offences have often lead to uncovering more severe offences so it's always worth it.

• Like 1

Rarely, and generally only if it's blatant offences or road safety concerns like having no brake lights or etc. Traffic has never really interested me and I prefer putting the time spent on a traffic stop to patrolling or responding to jobs. Also doesn't help that we don't get compliant stop training in our force so it's harder to pull stuff over to begin with, especially when in an unmarked car.

My normal crew mate is quite pro-active with traffic stops - he absolutely resents people on their mobile phones and so do I, so we can often get a good 5 or 6 in a shift. Having said that, it's normally only 1 or 2 as we're too busy to be picking up every car we see.

My normal crew mate is quite pro-active with traffic stops - he absolutely resents people on their mobile phones and so do I, so we can often get a good 5 or 6 in a shift. Having said that, it's normally only 1 or 2 as we're too busy to be picking up every car we see.

Oh my, I do dislike people using their mobiles whilst driving. It's probably going to get me into trouble one of these days >_>

Oh my, I do dislike people using their mobiles whilst driving. It's probably going to get me into trouble one of these days >_>

Ignore it off duty.... just ticket those you see when you're on duty!

I like traffic and I try to get a few in but because the nature of the job is that you tend to always be en route to either a job or back to the station to complete clerical, I won't stop cars for the sake of it. If it's mobile phone or other blatant traffic offence then, regardless of where I'm going, I will stop the vehicle and deal unless I'm on the way to an emergency call.

Northumbria do not allow SCs compliant stop so all my stops have been getting my partner to jump out (double screwed specials) and ask the car to pull over, or when spotted at junctions pull alongside and request to stop. Pretty much all of them have ended in a compliant VDRS process.

Sign in to follow this