Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
marshy

A question for those trained to do "compliant stops"

I am currently in the process of asking my force if we could be able to carry out compliant stops and would like to know how the training is done in those forces that allow it.

I have looked in the "Driving in the Specials" thread and it appears that there are quite a few forces that allow it

Can anyone please answer the following:

Did you receive any training in order to do the stops?

If so, how long was the training for?

What did the training consist of and was there an exam/assessment at the end?

What force are you in?

Were there any conditions you had to meet in order to be eligible?

Finally, do you have a copy of the compliant stop procedure that you could email to me? If it's not confidential and its something you are able to share obviously.

Please feel free to email me the answers if you don't want t post them here.

Many thanks in advance.

We did receive training on how and where to position my vehicle and lights etc.

There was a practice scenario afternoon including an assesment

I am with northants and you had to be IPS when I done it.

I don't have one to hand but if you contact your forces driving school they will provide it for you if they can.

South Yorkshire

1 day course

Morning theory, afternoon practical on live roads in pairs of cars.

Demonstration of a suitable stop during practicals sufficient, no written exam.

IPS Required

Pretty much exactly the same as AnthonyB for Avon & Somerset when I did my course.

Very little to it bar common sense really.

Thanks for the replies. Its such a pain when we're asked to look out for certain vehicles and when we find them, we have to call for a regular officer to do the stop.

I patrol quite a large rural area and being authorised to do this would be so much easier and save so much time.

Thanks for the replies. Its such a pain when we're asked to look out for certain vehicles and when we find them, we have to call for a regular officer to do the stop.

I patrol quite a large rural area and being authorised to do this would be so much easier and save so much time.

It can get worse than that I'm afraid.

You get your compliant stop ticket, and then a person that you're trying to stop, doesn't. You don't half look like a right fool when you've got to let them go because you can't initiate a pursuit.

Whilst I understand the policy, it doesn't help as you're watching the tail lights disappear. :(

I am currently in the process of asking my force if we could be able to carry out compliant stops and would like to know how the training is done in those forces that allow it.

I have looked in the "Driving in the Specials" thread and it appears that there are quite a few forces that allow it

What force are you in?

Finally, do you have a copy of the compliant stop procedure that you could email to me? If it's not confidential and its something you are able to share obviously.

Please feel free to email me the answers if you don't want t post them here.

Many thanks in advance.

I can almost guarantee that others in your force have asked the same question, and you will probably get the same answer as them..

Your senior officers will already be aware of what you can and can't do, and probably have a reason for not letting you do certain things. A lot of it comes down to the cost of training. Is it really worth the force paying for your training so you can stop a few cars each year?

I can almost guarantee that others in your force have asked the same question, and you will probably get the same answer as them..

Your senior officers will already be aware of what you can and can't do, and probably have a reason for not letting you do certain things. A lot of it comes down to the cost of training. Is it really worth the force paying for your training so you can stop a few cars each year?

We have been asked to provide management with idea's and inform them of problems we are having. I thought that this would be a good time to suggest this. I am not aware that anyone has asked this question before, but they probably have. However, no harm in asking right?

I have asked that the training be given to those of us who have achieved independent status and who work regularly.

It is becoming more common for us to be asked to come in and cover response calls due to low resources. Its also becoming increasingly common to have calls about suspicious vehicles out in the rural areas which often turn out to be genuine, and I'm the only unit available to attend.

I could have suggested a response course but that's 3 weeks and would imagine the costs would be quite high. For that reason I have not suggested that. In all honesty, we're not asking for a huge amount of the driver trainers time. It's mostly common sense and as the posts above show, it can be done in a group in one afternoon.

It makes sense to send me to the above situation with the authority to pull over any suspect vehicles than send the only response officer available, especially when its going to take 15-20 minutes to get to the location.

It makes sense (well to me and all of my station anyway). It'll benefit the force as well as those of us able to drive. In my eyes we're doing the force a favour by helping out so why shouldn't they give a little back? Yes I know my opinion and ideas don't count a majority of the time but I'm still entitled to voice it/them.

I do approximately 40 hours a month and am quite proactive so it'll definitely be more than just a few vehicles a year.

I have spoken to a couple of sergeants and they already thought we were be able to do it and also recommended that I ask.

YES

About 10 minutes (max) practical followed by a 20 minute powerpoint update from Driving School on the 'best' way to position a police vehicle post the stop. I received more training and input in doing a good old No 1 stop on foot especially in the light of a number of incidents where officers have been driven at and killed by suspects.

No specific assessment - assessed as part of a Basic Driving Permit check test when driving verified against the Highway Code

What force are you in?

Met

IPS

A documented procedure - not that I am aware off. There is some guidance in the Highway code and from the College of Policing : http://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/road-policing-2/disrupting-criminality/

Stopping a vehicle is part of the assessment for Standard Response but the power to stop vehicles is an any constable power that requires no specific training to exercise that power. Use of police exemptions is becoming dependent upon having had specific training in order to use these exemptions although the legislation is not yet in place.

using a specific police training requirement

You would be surprised what offences you can detect off the back of a simple stop - drugs, no insurance, weapons, OPL, etc, etc - you would be surprised how many don't initiate pursuits and stop, thinking they can blag their way through it.

Fortunately my force isn't as short sighted in it's thinking and understands the benefits of further skills

Someone posted on a thread somewhere that they had to do some training on NCALT. I've looked everywhere on here but can't seem to find it.

For those of you who are trained to do compliant stops, did you do a course on NCALT? If so do you remember what the title of the course was?

Someone posted on a thread somewhere that they had to do some training on NCALT. I've looked everywhere on here but can't seem to find it.

For those of you who are trained to do compliant stops, did you do a course on NCALT? If so do you remember what the title of the course was?

Some NCALT packages are force specific and cannot be viewed unless you are within that force.

Some NCALT packages are force specific and cannot be viewed unless you are within that force.

I have looked but cant find anything.