Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
duainep

Can i police in my hometown?

Hello all!

i'm currently doing the recruitment stage as a special constable for Gloucestershire police, but ive heard a few rumours that I need to police away from my own town.

Is this correct or is that a load of cobblers?

cheers

Duaine

Edited by Rosemary
Formatting

It depends. I started my career policing where I lived and only moved house a few months ago. I was lucky whilst I was living there that it was ok, but by the time I moved it was getting a bit hairy as the 'locals' new me off duty.

And last month, I helped lock up a suspect (a massive cage fighter) for a stabbing. Whilst at custody he threatened to knock me out if he saw me off duty. He lived two doors down from where I used to live...

I currently police my hometown. I've had a couple of close shaves with people going "didn't you go to [school name]?"

However, providing your facebook is secure enough/non-existent, you should get by!

I currently police my hometown. I've had a couple of close shaves with people going "didn't you go to [school name]?"

However, providing your facebook is secure enough/non-existent, you should get by!

I don't police my hometown and I've had numerous people accuse me of going to schools I've never even heard of and that they'll have me when they see me. Either I feel bad for the poor sod that looks like me and is going to get grief lol or they just see I look a similar age and name the local school to try and intimidate me.

Saying that someone ten years older than me said he knew me from when we were in school together.. Does the uniform really make me look that old?!

I don't police my hometown and I've had numerous people accuse me of going to schools I've never even heard of and that they'll have me when they see me. Either I feel bad for the poor sod that looks like me and is going to get grief lol or they just see I look a similar age and name the local school to try and intimidate me.

Saying that someone ten years older than me said he knew me from when we were in school together.. Does the uniform really make me look that old?!

Unfortunately, I DID go to the school :p

It's not a good idea. It can be done, but inevitably you're going to have to deal with someone who knows who you are and where you live. If you can, try and work in a town nearby that you still have good knowledge of, but that's far enough away that you won't be getting recognised.

Hello all!

i'm currently doing the recruitment stage as a special constable for Gloucestershire police, but ive heard a few rumours that I need to police away from my own town.

Is this correct or is that a load of cobblers?

cheers

Duaine

duainep,as I may have said before on this subject,it my personal belief that it should never be a problem to police your home town or area if you are fair with the people that you have to speak/deal with,irrespective of any offence they may or may not have committed,it must be so otherwise how did the village bobby manage for so long,or how did they manage hundreds of years ago in Saxon days when the village blacksmith or miller or other appropriate villagers had to take their turn to keep the peace or deal with domestics or rustlers or what ever the problems were in those days, all we are doing is acting on behalf of the locals.

The same applies even later on when when people couldn't travel twenty miles at the drop of a hat at the dead of night,I have been a special in my home town since I joined and never had the slightest problem with anyone,further more we have very many regs who live in town and work from the local station and again not heard off any problems,and why would there be I should like to know,it cuts down on travelling to do a duty as well and to me generally speaking it's a much more efficient way of going on and believe me that makes a huge difference when you have been working eight or nine hours in your day job if you have one and then coming on duty at nine thirty and not finishing your specials duty until two in the morning or even later if you get involved with something,and by then all you just want is to get to bed ASAP.so to answer your question,I put the case that the suggestion that people should police away from their home town is a "load of cobblers" as you put it.Rich.

Hello there and thank you for replying, I was just wondering as I was unsure and you have all answered my question :) i don't mind either way if I have to travel or not as long as I am helping the community :)

Just change your name on Facebook and lock it down. I've changed my surname since a little Social Media tizz.

I patrol in a different county to where I live. The idea of policing where I live does concern me....however many of our "customers" on a Friday night have travelled in from where I live anyway so the concept of never meeting anyone you know has potentially gone out the window!

I do know of a few colleagues who do live and work the town in which they police without any issues.

How do you decide what is best? Policing your home town which you know very well, but risk meeting people who you may of dealt with or police a town you have very little knowledge of but far way from your home town?

How do you decide what is best? Policing your home town which you know very well, but risk meeting people who you may of dealt with or police a town you have very little knowledge of but far way from your home town?

What sort of area do you live in, what are the sort of people you went to school with like? Are the people that you mutually recognise more likely to be perpetrators or victims?

Edited by DB11
  • Like 1

If you're younger it's going to be much more of an issue than if you were in your 40s for example.

I patrol in a different county to where I live. The idea of policing where I live does concern me....however many of our "customers" on a Friday night have travelled in from where I live anyway so the concept of never meeting anyone you know has potentially gone out the window!

I do know of a few colleagues who do live and work the town in which they police without any issues.

Same goes for me.

Sign in to follow this