Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
duainep

Worrying about failing eye test! Gloucestershire

Hello all!

As you can all see from the title i'm slightly worrying about my medical because of the eye test - i went to the opticians today and they told me that i have a lazy left eye and that i am also longsighted. Now because of this i think that i will fail the requirements needed :(

Any recommendations as to what to do?

cheers

duaine

All you really can do is don your glasses and hope for the best!

I am partially sighted, I did rubbish at my eye test during my medical also. But here I am, policing the cold hard streets... Nearly blind...

Your particular case will be judged on it's own merits, don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Like 1

If you can read up to 6/6 on the snellen chart, you'll be fine, regardless of your "lazy eye." what level did you achieve if you dont mind me asking?

On my right eye I Could read the 3rd/4th line down whereas my left eye I was struggling to read the 2nd :(

In D&C, if you need glasses then you need to meet a standard for both aided and unaided vision. I think aided Aided is for both eyes and an unaided standard for either eye of 6/36. Check your Force's website for their eye sight requirements, and then go and see the Optician and ask if you meet them.

Be aware that you will almost certainly have to visit the Optician again to have other things checked (colour blindness, peripheral vision etc.). I explained that I was joining the Specials, and my Optician seermed to be very aware that we're volunteers and waived the Medicial visit and form stamping.

On a personal note, I have astigmatism in my right eye. I am approaching forty and I am noticing it a lot more than when I was a wee nipper! I generally wear glasses if i am at a PC or if i am very tired and driving at night.

T'is a shame as my left eye is near perfect but meh, stuff happens.

Hey, another person with a lazy eye here checking in! I'm a tad worried about it too, BUT at the end of the day it's not specifically mentioned as something which'll discount you anywhere I've seen regarding the Specials, and my optician said she regards me as fitting the definition of having binocular vision. Note it down on your pre-medical form go in and give it your best shot, not much more you can do really. Best of luck!

Yeah its a pain because they said my right eye was good whereas my left eye isn't all that good and that's the one what's "lazy"

I'm now thinking about paying £600 per eye for laser eye treatment... isn't easy for being on apprentice wage but I'm willing to pay for it If it means doing what I've always wanted to do! :)

Going to pop back in to opticians this evening to see what my options are :)

Yeah its a pain because they said my right eye was good whereas my left eye isn't all that good and that's the one what's "lazy"

I'm now thinking about paying £600 per eye for laser eye treatment... isn't easy for being on apprentice wage but I'm willing to pay for it If it means doing what I've always wanted to do! :)

Going to pop back in to opticians this evening to see what my options are :)

Laser eye treatment won't fix a lazy eye though, just to warn you. The only options to fix that are botox treatment where they inject botox into the muscles which control the eye to straighten it out, or surgery to de- and then re-attach the muscles around your eye in different positions. But if all you're after is to correct your long-sightedness then you're good to go! Just bear in mind the waiting period most forces have after LASIK/LASEK :)

I mean I do have glasses to wear would that be suitable or will that still not be enough to pass the test if they can see I'm willing to wear them? It's Gloucestershire police I'm applying for if it makes any difference :)

I mean I do have glasses to wear would that be suitable or will that still not be enough to pass the test if they can see I'm willing to wear them? It's Gloucestershire police I'm applying for if it makes any difference :)

As far as I'm aware they'll be fine with it as long as your glasses correct your vision to 6/6 and your unaided vision is at least 36/6, ask your optician what they think when you go :)

Well just went to the opticians to pick up my glasses and the lady I was speaking to said that they have a contract with the police and she said my eyes are fine with glasses and she has seen police officers with worse eyes than me! She was adamant that I'd be fine! So happy now as it really was bugging me! :)

Well just went to the opticians to pick up my glasses and the lady I was speaking to said that they have a contract with the police and she said my eyes are fine with glasses and she has seen police officers with worse eyes than me! She was adamant that I'd be fine! So happy now as it really was bugging me! :)

That's good news! I thought by the sound of things you didn't have a lot to worry about (as you'd only just found out and usually people's eyesight isn't too terrible the first time they get an optician prescription! :) ) but didn't want to say anything in case I was wrong. Good luck with applying!

Thanks a lot mate! Are you currently recruiting are all you already in? :)

Currently recruiting, I've passed my assessment and I'm waiting for an invite to my medical test now, so I'm at the exciting stage now haha

Really hope i get to that stage and further! really worrying about the assessment now reading all stories on the net ha ha!

but hey ho i can only do my best i suppose! i got my assessment on Sunday 19th October!

Edited by Rosemary
Formatting

Sign in to follow this