Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
SEADOG

Transferring

Good Morning folks,

Well when I thought things were going ok I've had another spanner in the works.

So basically I applied for a police staff position last month, I passed the papershift and just had my interview for it......all going well or was it.

I was informed that since last year a change in policy stated that new police staff can't be serving SC's within the same force, this I've never heard of or read till the day of my interview. This policy doesn't effect current staff serving as SCs just new police staff.

Now this is really knocked my sideways as I've put a lot of effort into my specials career to get me to this point, this year I won SC of the year and I work with some brilliant officers we've been though the lows and highs over the past 8 months.

Of coarse I am going to take the position if its offered as I need a job and one with the Police will suit me down to the ground.

I know some of you out there will be thinking "take the paid job there is questions" but being a Special has been a important part of my life over since starting 4 years ago, those of your who know me already understand this. I had to work very hard to get in and I am massively proud of being one.

I have a meeting with my C/Insp next week to see if I can possibly appeal to remain a SC but I'am not holding out much hope with that, So my only other choice is to transfer to another local force.

Questions is have you transferred forces if so did you find it hard to leave your original force?

Did you find it easy to transfer?

Did you find it easy to settle into your new force/team?

Who's know I haven't seen or read this policy yet, it's only been policy for the last year or so from what I can gather.

I'm in the process of transferring to nearby Leicestershire from West Yorkshire Police.

I fully understand why you want to stay in the SC, it's hugely important to me too. I'm awaiting a start date for Prison Officer training, I'm almost certain that it's okay to be both. But there's a little fear at the back of my mind I'll have to give up my warrant card.

It is NOT easy. Naturally some forces are better than others with regards to HR. I've been in the process for about 5 odd months now. Due to my life circumstances I had to leave WYP about 3 months ago, so no duties for 3 months. A break was nice but now it's getting to the point where I'm dying to hit the streets again.

I'm nearly done with the process now, so hopefully I'll do my refresher training soon. But I've had to jump through more hoops to transfer than when I first joined, I kid you not. But as I said, not all forces are the same. My Dad lives in your force area and in his cul-de-sac is a WMP PC and a Warwickshire PC. By the sounds of things Warwickshire might be a good place to transfer to. Obviously depending on whether or not it's within reasonable distance to you. I hear they really look after the SC in that force.

I would suggest considering BTP. That way you may be able to stay where you are, and New Street has a big BTP presence as you are no doubt aware. I'm also considering it too. I'm likely to move about the country a few more times, so BTP is looking really attractive. Also their HR is world class, they're seriously switched on and really helpful. But as far as I'm aware they only take transfers at certain times.

I sound negative, and I am. I think I'm partly a victim of circumstance

The first lady dealing with my transfer was very good, she was also an SC and was friends with one of my best mates, who is also Leicestershire staff and SC, so she was extra speedy on account of that. However she left her post for a better staff role. My transfer was taken over by a lady from Derbyshire Constabulary, she doesn't know Leicestershire's process and through no fault of her own has taken a fairly long time. So ot was an unfortunate time to be looking for a transfer. Also my Sergeant in WYP was less than helpful.

Ask me anything you want and I'll try to help.

I am shocked by your force's policy tbh but paid employment should always take priority.

Have you checked your neighboring police forces and checked when the next recruitment round is ? If there is a 3-6 month wait, you might be able to negotiate with your current force that you wont do any operational duties (except refreshers first aid/ost etc) whilst you wait it out to transfer to another force. As if you do resign, you will have to go through the whole recruitment schedule and full training again.

I know a few officers who transferred into BTP, the HR team is very organised and you would need to do refresher courses (first aid, some OST), our computer systems, bye-laws and track safety. You would be welcome to attend any of the other courses with the new recruits as a refresher.

I've been out of work for almost a year now so I will be taking the job if I am successful of coarse just wish things where just a little more simpler!!! lol

I've been speaking to BTPs SC Chief Officer about my options I'd have about transferring over I have also called Staffs police to.

When I am back in at my nick I will do a bit of digging round on the intranet before my meeting with the C/Insp next week. I personally don't understand the logic behind this new policy and will attempt to take it up with the CC if I can, as any current staff who are serving SCs were allowed to remain so who knows!

Sam call force HR and speak to them this does not sound right WM is a huge force so where would you transfer too? The transfer process could be as easy ass or they might ask you to reapply it depends on the force so do your homework. One of our SC transfered to WY and has to go through ILSC4 again or so I was told

Eggnog has this been your experience?

:new_no:

Well wait and see if you get offered the police staff job first. (Good luck and hope you get it)

Do current police staff get time off to do SC duties in your force ? Thats the only reason why I can think around their logic.

Well wait and see if you get offered the police staff job first. (Good luck and hope you get it)

Do current police staff get time off to do SC duties in your force ? Thats the only reason why I can think around their logic.

I suspect this might be the reason too. Was my first thought...

If I am honest I have no idea I know staff who are also SCs but I guess they will be part of the employment support scheme lol

surely if I do transfer to another force I will still be able to join that scheme for extra holiday days etc, I just don't understand the logic behind it and even the inspector who carried out my interview didn't understand it or explain the reasoning behind it.

If that is the case then its sound like a odd bit of policy as no where I've worked in the past have I had or chosen to apply for extra days off for my specials stuff so its never been a consideration.

Edited by SEADOG

Swede; fortunately no. Leicestershire seem quite forward thinking with regards to Specials. I'll have to do some training but I'd be coming up for annual refreshers in WYP soon anyway so it doesn't bother me. However, I can see a lot of it being egg sucking.

seadog, is there any chance you could PM me some contact details for the BTP Special Constabulary Chief? I did a few shifts with them in Leeds and I'm really interested in serving with them, alongside the liklihood that I may move a few more times they're looking like a good choice.

Like sepura said; try to see if WMP will give you a break. If not, if they'll at least keep you on until you transfer is finalised.

• Like 1

You should contact BTP HR to get the authoritative word, but I expect you will get the standard line 'Keep an eye on our website and make an application as a transferee' when recruitment is open on your region'.

Find out from your force on the time scale if you wanted to take a career break. eg: MET offer 1 year.

And it really depends how far up the chain of command you want to go, be careful, get political etc especially if you might end up police staff in your current police force.

BTP should be opening up SPC recruitment Soon Sam. This is for C Division as anyone who passed the process and didn't get onto my intake was going to be put into this one later in the year.

I know I only saw WMP from a volunteer role but so far BTP have proven to be miles ahead of WMP. The only thing which I've heard is that Midland SPCs cannot drive vehicles. I dont know if this is true as its only what the PC has heard. Doesn't bother me as I'm not old enough to get BTP driver training.

I'd put in for BTP to be honest. Work a couple of shifts with us at Coventry if you want to get a feel of BTP, It can be arranged.

BTP should be opening up SPC recruitment Soon Sam. This is for C Division as anyone who passed the process and didn't get onto my intake was going to be put into this one later in the year.

I know I only saw WMP from a volunteer role but so far BTP have proven to be miles ahead of WMP. The only thing which I've heard is that Midland SPCs cannot drive vehicles. I dont know if this is true as its only what the PC has heard. Doesn't bother me as I'm not old enough to get BTP driver training.

I'd put in for BTP to be honest. Work a couple of shifts with us at Coventry if you want to get a feel of BTP, It can be arranged.

erm. That's not true, as you know, i can drive!!

erm. That's not true, as you know, i can drive!!

I did say that to the PC :p I'm not sure it it's just the insp. Who covers us has made that policy but I know it's not forcewide

Have to say I am in a awful mood now, I should be feeling happy about the possibility of getting a full time paid position in my force.

I just wish it didn't come with this black cloud over it!

SEADOG - The Special constabulary will always be there and your day job/career/family and friends should always take priority.

Do you have aspirations to join the regulars ?

I did but I don't any longer.

I've put in a awful lot of work into my SC career and its important to me, I just can't understand that there is no conflict with the role I've applied for and there already staff who are also SCs within the force!!!

Sorry I am just venting.

Seadog - you know my view :))

There will be an intake for B Division soon but we will also be accepting transferees if they are IPS.

A word of caution int he last intake I was involved with there were 20 transferees and only 4 were accepted. BTP standards are high and we do not drop them just because you are a Transferee.

• Like 1

They do offer a career break about 2 years from what I've heard.

I've done some searching on the intranet but can't actually find any policy, I have emailed the HR manager to see if they can point me in the right direction.

As well as a meeting with my C/Insp next week.

Well to forces have got back to me "We do accept transfers but not at this time and don't have a time frame for the next intake"

Sign in to follow this