Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Celtika123

What do you find most challenging about the job?

I'm in the process of applying to be a special with the Met, and one thing i'm curious about is - what do you find most challenging about the job? What personal qualities did you find you had to work on most? Is there any really intimidating aspects of the job that take a lot of getting used to?

One of my big weaknesses (and i'm sure it will affect my success) is that i'm part of the Satnav generation. I usually have very little awareness of precisely where i am and what road i am on, and how to get from A to B without my precious Binatone! Any ideas on how much this is likely to affect me or any techniques for improving my Geography/awareness?

Trying to get to grips with the notion that there isn't a right or wrong answer, and you can't play out what will happen in the car en route to a job.

But just forgetting about it and just turning up and speaking to caller and dealing with what you're presented is a way to overcome that, though depends how your brain works I guess

Other officers. I think it's more challenging than customers, because with the heroin addicted domestic couple and the alcoholic manic depressive, you expect them to be difficult to deal with and it's part of the job. You don't expect your colleagues to ruin your day. Thankfully it's very rare and part and parcel of any job really.

I've never found it easy when young children are involved in incidents, especially the more serious ones. Speaking to the relatives of a deceased person isn't easy, either.

Sometimes other officers can be difficult to work with, but as long as you act as any other reasonable person would do, you should be fine. If they're still difficult to work with, there's a good chance others find them difficult to work with, too.

Slightly more serious answer:

Jobs involving kids. Kids don't listen to reason. Even the most hardened criminal can see logic if you explain it right. Explain to a sober man in the street what will happen if he swears at you, and usually they'll listen to you. Kids don't care. Even worse is cocky kids who have an answer for everything you say.

Same applies to drunks, who are in many ways, just bigger kids.

But one thing I find really difficult still, is the fact that everyone you meet will expect you to solve all their problems for them, and sometimes you have to say no.

• Like 1

I agree with andituk kids and drunks just wont listen.

On the same theme, I would also add 'experts'. People who speak broken legalieeze when you attend, it reminds me of the line in Alpha Pappa when Alan goes to the police station.

Alan: "Assault, battery, kidnap, chronic thuggery, brandishment, actual bodily harm, grievous bodily harm... harm."

SDO Officer:"Just stick to what you saw"

Debates about whether they should be arrested, the law, ethics, policing oath etc are mentally draining. There is no tactical duct-tape or use of force to shut someone up. I had a chap who said (paraphrased) "My son's been sent home from school for being a racist to another boy, but he's not so that makes the school racist. I would like to you to charge them for being racist, I'm a lawyer." He then proceeded to tell me how the Police and Schools are working together to cover things up.

and smelly people/smelly people's houses

*edited 'duct-tap' is not a thing

Edited by Pirate Pete

One of my big weaknesses (and i'm sure it will affect my success) is that i'm part of the Satnav generation. I usually have very little awareness of precisely where i am and what road i am on, and how to get from A to B without my precious Binatone! Any ideas on how much this is likely to affect me or any techniques for improving my Geography/awareness?

Here's my tip for that, when you are driving about in your own car commentate out loud every time you take a turn where you are by looking at road signs. "I am turning off London road onto Oxford road", and do some number plates in phonetics while you are at it. :new_yummy:

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this