Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
thurdles

Would you take your warrant card abroad?

Appreciate your concern but my wife and family are Jamaican, I was with family at the time. I wasn't at risk and if I had have felt I might be I can assure you I wouldn't have shown it - it wasn't 'waved around' apologies if my anecdote came across as bravado this wasn't my intention. I was more annoyed at the time that this police officer was trying to fine my brother-in-law for something he hadn't done and suggesting that rather than paying the $100 fine if he gave the officer $50 it would all be 'dealt with'. Nobody got hurt and the outcome was good.

Something that you really should do though is to 'badge out' in another country. It could lead to very bad repercussions. (Talking from the experience of having to deal with the consequences of such a situation of one of my specials)

Something that you really should do though is to 'badge out' in another country. It could lead to very bad repercussions. (Talking from the experience of having to deal with the consequences of such a situation of one of my specials)

Can you enlighten us please?

Long story short.

Officer badged out on a police officer in another country after not agreeing with being stopped . Cue the officer rather than be given words of advice arrested and a whole world of legality hell unleashed. The 'fake' warrant card was taken away by the countries police and lots of hard conversations had to recover it.

Long story short.

Officer badged out on a police officer in another country after not agreeing with being stopped . Cue the officer rather than be given words of advice arrested and a whole world of legality hell unleashed. The 'fake' warrant card was taken away by the countries police and lots of hard conversations had to recover it.

Which country?

I have only badged out when asked when going to the US. I take Met police patches (from the Museum shop near Olympia) to swap with officers over there.

Was there not a special killed a few months back in a hostage situation in Kenya, the only hostage killed, and he had his warrant card on him? Something to think about.

Was there not a special killed a few months back in a hostage situation in Kenya, the only hostage killed, and he had his warrant card on him? Something to think about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21024341

He was travelling in a moving vehicle and, from the sounds of it, it was quite random and they wouldn't have known he was a SC.

Doesn't matter

Not really sure why it would need to be a big secret, but whatever. :rolleyes:

There are some countries where carrying your warrant card would be a really stupid idea, others where it would never be an issue at all. Clearly, bading out abroad (or in the Uk actually) in protestation at being stopped is the sign of an idiot who shouldn't have a warrant card in the first place.

• Like 1

Just to add that with the benefit of hindsight having now got a bit more experience (I'd attested a couple of months prior to the incident) and despite the fact I was trying to help someone else in what was an obviously unfair situation I'd not do it again as it's just too risky.

It does raise an interesting point though because I'm fairly sure that 'badging out' and learning the possible negative effects occur pretty early on in a policing career. I suspect that most new recruits get away with the odd incident before they realise better and learn when to and when not to, but clearly from ococircusboy's post there are those that get caught out or unlucky. A good cautionary tale.

Sign in to follow this