Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Richhamdo

Fitness test

SCEoghan, just read that Cleveland's chief didn't make the 5.4, but still think it was very gutsy of her to give it a go and show willing, even if she didn't have to.

I thought it might have been a good idea to have a go unofficially first though, I certainly intend to have a practice next year, so I have about six months to get ready for it. Do you think I could make it by just going for long walks or should I try " jogging" a bit as well. Rich.

If your fitness is low start off with long walks and then start building up your cardio with jogging. Take your time to build up your fitness, everyone has to start somewhere :) As for that CC I assume she will have to do it at some point but I guess her age and desk bound role will have an effect!

I agree with the previous post. Age needs to be taken into account in this instance as people often do become more sedentary as they get older. I just completed my 5.4 refresher and didn't find it over easy even though i run twice a week and are aged 47. I believe according to the press article i read, the Cleveland chief is 52.

I agree with the previous post. Age needs to be taken into account in this instance as people often do become more sedentary as they get older. I just completed my 5.4 refresher and didn't find it over easy even though i run twice a week and are aged 47. I believe according to the press article i read, the Cleveland chief is 52.

Gazza_TT, I have been a bit concerned about this fitness test,in fact very concerned that I would fail it, it doesn't sound at this moment in time that it will get any easier for those of more mature years, I am quite a bit older than fifty two, I could add another ten years on to that, (and the rest) however as I may have said in another place, I have a cunning plan. Last week I joined the local gym, told the lady that I have to pass this test of 5.4 by next April, preferably by a good margin i.e. 6.0and so she put together an action plan for me, which was very kind of her, (I had to tell her I was a special) so it didn't lay me up from duty,so Tuesday morning and Thursday morning when it is nice and quiet I go and have a go on the cycle machine and treadmill for a bit, have to try for a mile,then there are about six or seven other things which I have to pull/push,for twenty times each,so hopefully that should do the trick.

Fortunately for me I have plenty of time to do it,But it's no too bad, last time I was in and out of the place in just less than an hour.Rich.

• Like 1

^^ and this is the problem with the fitness test.

You are required to pass it yet at your own expense; if this were the armed services (for the sake of comparison) you would have access to a free gym during work hours. The reality is you can choose to pay to use a poorly equipped gym hopefully in a police station somewhere near where you work or pay through the nose to rub shoulders with your local nominals in David Lloyd/Virgin at £50/month.

If Winsor wants you fit then he needs to invest in it.

^^ and this is the problem with the fitness test.

You are required to pass it yet at your own expense; if this were the armed services (for the sake of comparison) you would have access to a free gym during work hours. The reality is you can choose to pay to use a poorly equipped gym hopefully in a police station somewhere near where you work or pay through the nose to rub shoulders with your local nominals in David Lloyd/Virgin at £50/month.

If Winsor wants you fit then he needs to invest in it.

oddbod, I must be very fortunate where I am, they only charged me two hundred and fourty nine pounds for the year, they have a discount of a fiver a month for military and over sixties, (that's me)so not too bad as have use of the sauna/spa and the swimming pool next door chucked in as well, I am not a swimmer so won't be going in there, but might try the sauna now and again.

I was thinking along the lines of gym work counting as duty/training but don't how it could be proved, our police gym under the station was closed down just over twenty years ago when someone dropped dead just after useing it, a real shame as it was not a bad setup.However it looks like it's a fait accompli with all this so will just have to bite the bullet and look happy,just going for a nice long walk now to help the job along a bit,the things we do for the specials eh!.Rich.

Gazza_TT, I have been a bit concerned about this fitness test,in fact very concerned that I would fail it, it doesn't sound at this moment in time that it will get any easier for those of more mature years, I am quite a bit older than fifty two, I could add another ten years on to that, (and the rest) however as I may have said in another place, I have a cunning plan. Last week I joined the local gym, told the lady that I have to pass this test of 5.4 by next April, preferably by a good margin i.e. 6.0and so she put together an action plan for me, which was very kind of her, (I had to tell her I was a special) so it didn't lay me up from duty,so Tuesday morning and Thursday morning when it is nice and quiet I go and have a go on the cycle machine and treadmill for a bit, have to try for a mile,then there are about six or seven other things which I have to pull/push,for twenty times each,so hopefully that should do the trick.

Fortunately for me I have plenty of time to do it,But it's no too bad, last time I was in and out of the place in just less than an hour.Rich.

I think you've done the right thing by getting a plan together at the gym and there is plenty of time until april so I'm sure you will be fine. You could even download the bleep test audio recording from the internet and get some idea of your progress over the next six months until the test.

I think you've done the right thing by getting a plan together at the gym and there is plenty of time until april so I'm sure you will be fine. You could even download the bleep test audio recording from the internet and get some idea of your progress over the next six months until the test.

Hey Richhamdo. How did you get on with the test after all ?

Hey Richhamdo. How did you get on with the test after all ?

Gazza_TT, Re the fitness test,for some reason it was all put on the back burner until the autumn,still going to the gym at least three times a week,and don't go till I have been in an hour,then have half an hour or so in the spa and steam room,the funny thing is that my progress is not as speedy as I first thought,if I really push myself to the absolute limit I can still only jog for four minutes fifty secs at just over five miles an hour on the running machine,but can't get much better,and that's after about eight months,I have no wish to drop dead from a heart attack at the moment as I have just nicely retired and want to get some of my money back from my pension,Ha,having said that I feel a bit better for it but I think I will need to have another practice at HQ to see how I do,if we can get one organised,Rich.

Gazza_TT, Re the fitness test,for some reason it was all put on the back burner until the autumn,still going to the gym at least three times a week,and don't go till I have been in an hour,then have half an hour or so in the spa and steam room,the funny thing is that my progress is not as speedy as I first thought,if I really push myself to the absolute limit I can still only jog for four minutes fifty secs at just over five miles an hour on the running machine,but can't get much better,and that's after about eight months,I have no wish to drop dead from a heart attack at the moment as I have just nicely retired and want to get some of my money back from my pension,Ha,having said that I feel a bit better for it but I think I will need to have another practice at HQ to see how I do,if we can get one organised,Rich.

interesting to see it was put on the back burner. At least it takes the pressure of you for a while now which is a good thing.

Cheers for now.

interesting to see it was put on the back burner. At least it takes the pressure of you for a while now which is a good thing.

Cheers for now.

Gazza_TT, my thoughts entirely, I will need all the time I can get,actually we need to sort out a get together at the HQ gym for a trial run for our specials again just to see where we are with it, I use a set of a hundred and twenty long steps in town which I am using as a gauge to any improvement in my lung capacity,when I started to go to our gym in town last autumn I could not make the last twenty steps without stopping,now I can just get to the top without stopping but still out of breath at the top,so the gain seems to be very very slow,unbelievably so,I always spend at least an hour in the gym three times a week,I often see a few of our regs in there, no doubt getting fit for it as well,I spend ten minutes each on the bike,tread mill,(a bit of walking, a bit of jogging and a bit of walking)and then the cross trainer on number forty,the rest of the time on the various weighty arm and leg things,finishing with fifty pulls on the rowing machine,I am just putting it down to my age and breathing farm dust all my life.i just don't know what else I can do.Rich.

May I sugest NHS Couch to 5K you can get it for your Ipod or smart phone.

Swede1304,I will down load it on to my I pad as I haven't got a smart phone,just my Motorola Razr, thanks,Rich.

Swede1304,I will down load it on to my I pad as I haven't got a smart phone,just my Motorola Razr, thanks,Rich.

The idea is that you run when it says run and walk when it says walk (interval training). That's a bit difficult with an iPad.

The idea is that you run when it says run and walk when it says walk (interval training). That's a bit difficult with an iPad.

Burnsy2023,yes I have just had a look through it to see how it works,as you say it's not going to be very practicable in my case but I get the general drift of it and how it works,I will keep persevering with the gym work,i usually start with a very brisk walk for two minutes anyway on the tread mill, then the jog, then a couple of minutes walk,I can do about five minutes (or just under)on the running machine at about 5.5 mph so I shouldn't complain I suppose,I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact that I'm never going to be another David Bedford, (smiley face with the white teeth here)Rich.

The other option is count lamp posts run two walk two run two walk two and increase it over time. a second hand Ipod not sure how much they are good luck though you will be fine.

Sign in to follow this