Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
ian7675

Bit of advice please?

Hi everyone, I'm after a bit of advice on maybe re-joining Gloucestershire Constabulary but I have a bit of a story. I actually joined as a Special about 2 years ago but I only lasted about 12 months due to having a rough time with work. As soon as I passed training I was made redundant which hit me hard and when I did get a job I was sent to various places away from home which meant it was just not possible to carry out any duties so I handed in my notice. I was not in a good place at the time so I feel it was a good decision although I didn't want to leave after the hard work of getting there.

About 4 months later (earlier this year) I approached one of my superiors in the Specials and asked if it was possible to return as I was slowly getting back to a stable life. To my delight I was told it was possible and just needed an interview but I stupidly had a change of heart after listening to some bad advice on how the Police were at an all time low of morale and it was a bad time to be a part of it. To that end I cancelled the interview.

Now I feel confident again about my situation and have a stable life again I am really regretting my past decisions and I am wondering if it would still be possible to return after a year. I'm sure I can contact someone to find out but I actually feel slightly embarrassed about the way I have wasted the forces time including the person who offered me a second chance earlier in the year. I am hoping some of you can give me their opinion if they think I should bother trying or have I burnt my bridges too much. Brutal honesty is appreciated please. Thanks.

HI Ian.

First and foremost don't look back in regret, and do I think you should try and re-join the special constabulary YES I DO.

You already have the experience to contribute to your community so yeah go for it.

Best of luck with your decision.

Hi Ian

By the sound of things your head and heart are both set on joining the force agaib and giving it your all. I am just about to start my initial training but the initial joining is something ive put off for fair few years whilst my work commitments grew and so i passed on applying, and every time i did a few months later when i was back on top of my work load i kicked myself. It was then a case of rinse and repeat for the last 5-6 years... But last august i passed paper sift and i havent looked back.

Dont ever look back and say i shouldnt have done that... Every day is a school day... So when you look back you should say... Next time ill do that a differently.

As im only just starting out, i do feel that i am not only joining a team but im becoming part of an exclusive family (so to speak) and remember that there are always lots of people to talk to in difficult times.

This is only ny view of course but hope it helps you make tge decision thats right for you.

Sign in to follow this