Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
LMTS

Carrying warrant card 'off duty'

I have my warrant card on me off-duty except when I go on nights out.

• Like 1

Always keep mine with me. As others have said, you never know when you might need it.

I am however one to leave it at home when i'm going for a night out, like most other officers I work with.

As for using wallets etc, I wasn't issued a warrant card holder so it lives in my normal wallet, somewhere discreet but easily accessible 'just in case'

I always carry it with me. I use my warrant card holder as a wallet (so I do have to try and hide my badge when I get it out) but we also use out cards to open the doors of our Police stations- RDFI chips or something, so I carry it with me just in case I decide to pop into the nick for whatever reason.

Why do people not take it on nights out, worried you might get tipsy and badge out on the bar staff to increase the opening hours?

Why do people not take it on nights out, worried you might get tipsy and badge out on the bar staff to increase the opening hours?

I've certainly heard of both specials and regulars get into trouble for badging out inappropriately when drunk. We all know that perfectly reasonable people can be totally different when in drink - is it worth taking your warrant card out with you on a night out when you risk losing so much (career, pension, liberty)?

I've certainly heard of both specials and regulars get into trouble for badging out inappropriately when drunk. We all know that perfectly reasonable people can be totally different when in drink - is it worth taking your warrant card out with you on a night out when you risk losing so much (career, pension, liberty)?

I've heard of some horror stories too, and so can see the argument that leaving your warrant card at home removes the opportunity to do something silly with it when drunk. I see a counterargument though, which is that leaving your warrant card at home doesn't absolve you of the responsibilty to behave yourself.

I've heard of some horror stories too, and so can see the argument that leaving your warrant card at home removes the opportunity to do something silly with it when drunk. I see a counterargument though, which is that leaving your warrant card at home doesn't absolve you of the responsibilty to behave yourself.

I agree with both you and rosco.

That said, big difference between mouthing off at doormen etc saying you're police and actually getting out a police badge.

The first they will shrug off, the second they cannot ignore.

*That scenario comes from stories I've heard and read on here, not my life!!

Always carry mine with me, one of those things that feels funny if its not in my pocket. And how else am I meant to skip the line at Tiger Tiger anyway? :new_hmmm:

More a case of it being a night out, meaning I will have had a drink, meaning I'm not about to get involved in anything. So no point in having it.

• Like 1

No. I did take mine out on a Christmas night out and ended up having to intervene in an incident. Speaking from my experience, I think the main issue is looking at risk-assessing situations for your own personal safety. If you are on a night out and something goes wrong, you are open to being glassed/bottled or turned on by a large group of drunks and on another note, you have no equipment to defend yourself with.

No. I did take mine out on a Christmas night out and ended up having to intervene in an incident. Speaking from my experience, I think the main issue is looking at risk-assessing situations for your own personal safety. If you are on a night out and something goes wrong, you are open to being glassed/bottled or turned on by a large group of drunks and on another note, you have no equipment to defend yourself with.

I'm not sure I follow your point. If the incident is one where you're going to get glassed then you really should be looking at glassing them first not waving your warrant card about, but that isn't the same as saying that you shouldn't carry it at all. Carrying your warrant card gives you the option to intervene and the ability to identify yourself to the sober on duty officers who turn up... it doesn't mean that you have to intervene.

• Like 1

If you're in drink, why would you intervene? Not only that, but your evidence should anything happen would not be as credible. There's a reason we wait for detainees to sober up before interviewing.

My warrant card stays at home when I'm out on the lash.There's also an increased chance of it being lost. How many have been out drinking to find stuff has fallen from or lost from pockets?

My point was when judge dread asked why people leave theirs at home that's why ill be leaving mine at home in future for all of the reasons mentioned above. I'll be a witness in future.

If you're in drink, why would you intervene? Not only that, but your evidence should anything happen would not be as credible. There's a reason we wait for detainees to sober up before interviewing.

My warrant card stays at home when I'm out on the lash.There's also an increased chance of it being lost. How many have been out drinking to find stuff has fallen from or lost from pockets?

I was not drunk and intervened to protect life and limb - I did a first account statement that night.

My point was when judge dread asked why people leave theirs at home that's why ill be leaving mine at home in future for all of the reasons mentioned above. I'll be a witness in future.

I was not drunk and intervened to protect life and limb - I did a first account statement that night.

You can be drunk and carrying a warrant card and still be a witness though.

I don't understand the issue with carrying it. It's almost always force policy that you do and it'll only be a problem if you're an idiot, and if you're an idiot then you shouldn't have one in the first place.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 5

Quite frankly yes.... Had this discussion on our works last night out.... A group both Regular and Special came to the agreement that quite a few have got involved whilst out drunk off duty when it probably was best not too, hence why most dont take out on nights out

Edited by LMTS
  • Like 2

Quite frankly yes.... Had this discussion on our works last night out.... A group both Regular and Special came to the agreement that quite a few have got involved whilst out drunk off duty when it probably was best not too, hence why most dont take out on nights out

This was drummed into us in training "If you are going out on the lash....don't take your warrant card" it can be more trouble than it is worth!

This was drummed into us in training "If you are going out on the lash....don't take your warrant card" it can be more trouble than it is worth!

Carrying on in this vein; how do you all feel about using your warrant card on the tubes for travel if you've had a few. For arguments sake we'll say.

1. One drink

2. Tipsy

3. Skinful

I'm only saying tubes as I would personally never badge out on a bus at night regardless of alcohol consumption.

My warrant card goes everywhere with me! left front pocket, if it's not there I feel naked! no way I'm leaving it at home.

• Like 2

I carry my warrant card all the time even if I am out for a few beers , I am now 40 and have never got involved when out drinking .

The same as I have never been drunk to the point of not being in control of my actions ,if something needs dealing with when out phone it in unless it is life threatening.

I keep mine on me... But then again I thought we had too...?

Apologies if I'm going off at a tangent... But LMTS mentioned section 14 to detain someone... Could some lovely person just explain that a bit more for me...?

I keep mine on me... But then again I thought we had too...?

Apologies if I'm going off at a tangent... But LMTS mentioned section 14 to detain someone... Could some lovely person just explain that a bit more for me...?

Not entirely sure but I think it has something to do with Scottish power of arrest.

Not entirely sure but I think it has something to do with Scottish power of arrest.

No, section 14 is used to detain someone under scottish law we do not have enough evidence to charge. Once we have sufficiant evidence we arrest or release or report

No, section 14 is used to detain someone under scottish law we do not have enough evidence to charge. Once we have sufficiant evidence we arrest or release or report

Why is scottish law so sensible.

Sign in to follow this