Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
LMTS

Carrying warrant card 'off duty'

Off Topic but 50% of a 16.99 pizza is still dearer than most takeaways :p

and I would like to point out I don't use mine for that either, stays in the pocket :)

It's also more expensive than a pretty good freshly made pizza in my local Italian Restaurant!

I've only used it once off duty.

I was passing by my local sainsbury's and some of the local children were shouting and swearing at a security guard.

I badged out and told the kid to wind his neck in or i'll be dragging him back to the school to his headteacher to explain his actions. Funny how mouthy kids can turn very apologetic. :)

Only down side to this is now the security in sainsbury's think we're best friends :new_hmmm:

Only down side to this is now the security in sainsbury's think we're best friends :new_hmmm:

Occupational hazard that. I've got a "bezzer" down the local train station now too!

I carry my standard wallet with cash, cards etc, and just have my warrant card hidden in it...1) it makes it harder to loose as you're more likely to gets earlies your lost a chunky wallet, 2) you aren't pulling out your warrant card every time you need cash or to get a card out, some people love having the leather wallet and badge but it carries no powers, 3) it just makes you more of a target for those to identify you off duty.... if anything kicks off or you need travel you can always slide the warrant card itself out of your wallet and discretely pop it back in *stubs out fag* *old sweat*

And for those who want the discount..... %50 off the price... %50 additional flem and gob from the chef or the person out back.. Pay full price and keep the card in the pocket! = decent tasting pizza!

I carry my standard wallet with cash, cards etc, and just have my warrant card hidden in it...1) it makes it harder to loose as you're more likely to gets earlies your lost a chunky wallet, 2) you aren't pulling out your warrant card every time you need cash or to get a card out, some people love having the leather wallet and badge but it carries no powers, 3) it just makes you more of a target for those to identify you off duty.... if anything kicks off or you need travel you can always slide the warrant card itself out of your wallet and discretely pop it back in *stubs out fag* *old sweat*

And for those who want the discount..... %50 off the price... %50 additional flem and gob from the chef or the person out back.. Pay full price and keep the card in the pocket! = decent tasting pizza!

Old police tip from the States, if you're eating somewhere on duty in uniform, make sure it's somewhere you can see the food being prepared (a la Subway) :D

Old police tip from the States, if you're eating somewhere on duty in uniform, make sure it's somewhere you can see the food being prepared (a la Subway) :D

Makes sense....you never know what they might add to your coffee, sarnie etc :new_shades:

I always have mine with me, but never carry anything that gives away my address or pictures of my family, if I loose it then I have no worries about anything except contacting the boss to tell them ive lost it.

I was under the impression we are required to carry it at all times. No flashy card holders here in the provinces so mine lives in my wallet with my other cards and collection of ridiculous foreign currency (transnistrian rubles always a good travel boast). I do have a wonderful lanyard (no expense spared) to put it in for hanging it around my neck so if I go for a jog I stick it in the plastic holder thing with my debit card in case I want to buy something whilst I'm out.

Other than getting the bus the only time it's ever come out off duty was when a neighbour's burglar alarm was going off and I thought I'd just pop round the back and check there hadn't been a break in. I got the card out anticipating the likely scenario of my neighbour confronting me to find out what the hell I was doing in his garden rather than the much less likely chance of spotting some scrotbag coming out the back window with a flatscreen under his arm :)

50% additional phlegm & gob? How much phlegm do you normally have on your pizzas, then? The beauty of Dominos is that you can see the pizzas being prepared and cooked, so there's no worries about extra ingredients being added.

You should always carry it as it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. Notwithstanding that, in the Met, and no doubt elsewhere, you are required to have it with you at all times.

I'd actually say it's potentially neglectful to not carry it as it affects how you are able to carry out your duty. No doubt the reason that it's almost always a force policy that it be carried whenever practicable.

• Like 2

Our force policy is a bit pointless, you don't have to carry it, but you must have it to use your powers and there are certain occasion you may be obliged to use your powers...as a result you might as well carry it most of the time! :p

same for us

I carry mine with me everywhere I go, never know when you're going to need it. Might be that 5 minute walk to the shops for milk when you come across an RTC.

The only time I don't carry it is when I go abroad, as we have no power outside of England and Wales there really isn't much point, plus I always holiday light.

Haven't had to 'badge out' off duty yet.

By the way, I've been carrying my warrant card and using at my wallet sicne 2004, and I've never lost it... What do all those who don't carry it do with their wallets to be so fearful of losing it?!

I have used mine as a wallet too for over a year now but it has become trashed. The resources guy was not happy when I showed him my warrant card, asking for a replacement only a year in. Said he would email me about getting a new one, but he never did. I had mine on me during TA exercises all last year too, probably not the best idea.

Carry mine all the time and use it as a wallet, you never know when you might need it for something that spontaneously happens infront of you. Force policy to carry it around with you.

I've only used it once off duty at an RTC i stopped to assist at and that is all. As long as you are sensible and do not lose it, all is well.

The only time I don't carry it is when I go abroad, as we have no power outside of England and Wales there really isn't much point, plus I always holiday light.

Except when you go to the States.... yes, I know you have no powers over there but some theme parks have a 'Servicepersons' area where they thank you for your hard work with free food and drink on production of Police/Fire/Ambo/Military id! (plus they ask you to stand up during some shows and every one claps you and gives you American high fives and whoops... bless America eh?!)

When I went to Ukraine in the spring I spent the whole week being hassled by the police who were always on the lookout for a bride. I wonder if having my warrant card ("look comrade I'm in the club too!") would have been any use? (or just made things a hell of a lot worse)

When I went to Ukraine in the spring I spent the whole week being hassled by the police who were always on the lookout for a bride.

Remind me to strike Ukraine off my list of places to visit.

Edited by Smiley Culture
  • Like 2

I carry mine everywhere, if I forget mine, its almost as bad as forgetting your phone!! :new_doh2: feel bare without it. Its guaranteed that the only time you will need it, you wont have it.

Except when you go to the States.... yes, I know you have no powers over there but some theme parks have a 'Servicepersons' area where they thank you for your hard work with free food and drink on production of Police/Fire/Ambo/Military id! (plus they ask you to stand up during some shows and every one claps you and gives you American high fives and whoops... bless America eh?!)

This is amazing!! I never knew this!! Do they raise the flag while they all sing "OH SAY CAN YOU SEE" before letting loose a gaggle of Eagles? if so I'm on the next flight over!

If an american serviceman tried to ID himself at one of our parks he would get "...and? back of the line mate." or "Brilliant, you can join the queue if you like... but the rides going to be broken down for the next 8 hours....."

The more important lesson I've learnt is always carrying a mobile phone with you, having just nipped out to the shops once without phone or warrant card and coming across an arson in progress.

The other top tip is don't believe the fire control room when they say they'll pass on the message to the police. Speak to the police control room as they'll have the decency to call a cop back and let you know if anyone is free to attend.

You don't need your warrant card (PACE searches aside I believe) but the phrasing on Fife's SOP re warrant cards is along the lines of "questions may be asked as to why you didn't have it on your person whilst exercising police powers.

You don't need your warrant card (PACE searches aside I believe)

Depending on force. Us lot (BTP) have to have it on us to exercise police powers.

• Like 2

I stopped carrying mine on nights out after I left it in the back of a taxi once.

Thankfully, it was handed in and I didn't even get my wrist slapped for it because I had a decent governor. But it was a mistake that I didn't want to repeat because if I had not had a beer (not that I was drunk), then I probably would have noticed that it had slipped out of my pocket.

Sign in to follow this