Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
LMTS

Carrying warrant card 'off duty'

Id say for the last four to six months ive stopped carrying my warrant card when off duty. No particular reason, maybe because ive not needed it for a year or so and its just another thing to missplace and possibly lose!

Anyway came across an incident a few nights ago, a moment where having my warrant card really would have helped the situation big style and I needed to ID myself as a cop... Needless to say im back to carrying it... you never know!

Was out in the car off duty heading the the cinema, the quickest route is along a known red light area where ladies of the night work, Its a B road parallel with a main city road, but quiet.. Notice a male and female at the entrance of a phone box, female is pushing said male into the booth and struggling to close the door... Alarm bells start rining, but then I think 'nah cant be not on this road, not when im driving past.. they are probably just playing about.. Further to this I observe the male pushing the female over as he exits the telephone box, putting her in a headlock and pulling her across the pavement, at this point im about 400 meters down the road, but see it in the rear view mirror, and end up slamming the ancors on, Just to double make sure its not a hoax i further observe in the rearview mirror, for 10-15 seconds the female attemping to get free, only for the said male to grab her and dragg her against a wall, At this moment spin the car around and hurrle back down the road in 1st :new_no: slammed on the handbreak :new_sorry: (adrenaline) before the cars even stopped and onto the guy... Long story short dosent look friendly, she looks in a bit of distress but as usual 'oh ive just met him, .. ermm we were messing about.. honestly.. we were just waiting for a bus (no bus stop) Usual prossie trying to pretend shes not working, but worryingly not bothered shes been roughed about, Chap tells me to do one, none of my business. Not happy with what ive seen ask him to wait whilst I male a call (control room) hes not happy ... end up Iding myself (without warrant card) and detaining him section 14 since he wouldnt wait voluntary..

Unit arrived quickly and I let them deal with it.. Better getting the chaps detail to see if any warrants, and if the on duty cops want to do anything with it.. Anyway left them to it after putting a quick statement in.

Warrant card would have made things alot easier.. and put me at ease (dialog wise with the chap whilst waiting for a unit) As others may know from my posts on here I really do not agree with badging and getting involved with stuff on duty unless its serious, But I honestly thought this girl was getting a serious beating from the distance.. And I couldnt have driven off seeing that without worrying all night.

So yes I'll be carrying my warrant card again...

Edited by Chewie
Bypassing the swear filter

You should always carry it as it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. Notwithstanding that, in the Met, and no doubt elsewhere, you are required to have it with you at all times.

• Like 1

Our force policy is a bit pointless, you don't have to carry it, but you must have it to use your powers and there are certain occasion you may be obliged to use your powers...as a result you might as well carry it most of the time! :p

I think it's one of those things that you take for granted - you'll never need it until the day you leave it at home. Although I've only ever felt the need to show it a couple of times off-duty, it's one of those things that I now take for granted - if I leave the house without it it's as if I've walked outside without a watch or wallet. The only time I ever leave it at home is if I'm going somewhere where I'll need to leave it unattended (to the beach or swimming baths, for example), otherwise it stays in my back pocket, just in case.

I show mine daily in order to get on the train/bus. However, aside from that, (often whilst on public transport) I've needed to use it on average two to three times a year. It's not something I do lightly but maybe I'm just unlucky.

I'm beginning to feel naked without my card really. So it goes with me wherever I go, never had to show it yet though.

• Like 2

I use my warrant card holder as my fulltime wallet now. Our force policy is to have to on you at all times, we had an email regarding this subject not to long ago which outlined to carry it 24/7...

I use my warrant card holder as my fulltime wallet now. Our force policy is to have to on you at all times, we had an email regarding this subject not to long ago which outlined to carry it 24/7...

Thats what most officers do in my force, why carry a warrant card in a WC Holder, and a wallet when you can just carry the one. I have had to use mine once or twice off duty, one time was when waiting at a bus stop someone offered to sell me and my friends some Cocaine, so he was detained and handed to a passing PSU Carrier for a search.

I've used mine twice off-duty, once producing it de-escalated the situation and probably saved me getting a kicking. The bloke had a long history of violence but calmed down when he saw my warrant card.

That said, I wouldn't personally use it as a wallet, purely because if I lost it I would be paranoid about some undesireable now knowing where I live thanks to my address being printed on my driver's licence. Also, when I'm going out on the pop I don't tend to take my brief because of the potential for drunkenly misplacing it/because I have been pointed out by door staff as off duty plod following a pocket search at the entrance to a venue.

I'd never use my warrant card as a wallet - ever...

Its not designed to be a wallet, its designed to identify you as a police officer - thats it.

I carry my warrant card in my back jean/trouser pocket and it stays there until I:

1. Need to ID myself.

2. Get back into the house where it sits with my wallet and keys.

Edited by Radman
  • Like 1

I'd never use my warrant card as a wallet - ever...

Its not designed to be a wallet, its designed to identify you as a police officer - thats it.

I carry my warrant card in my back jean/trouser pocket and it stays there until I:

1. Need to ID myself.

2. Get back into the house where it sits with my wallet and keys.

I use mine as a wallet, its quite handy for notes and cards in it and I always know its there instead of checking for wallet and warrant card

I use mine as a wallet, its quite handy for notes and cards in it and I always know its there instead of checking for wallet and warrant card

The standard BTP holder is handy for notes and cards?

Not in my opinion, you've only got a clear cut 'window' for your warrant card and a back pocket on the opposite side, which in my case if filled with:

1. OPT 'Yellow' Card

2. Track Safety Certificate Card

3. Local H/O Gate Card

Doesnt leave room for Debit/Credit Cards or cash.

Where would you put your change?

The standard BTP holder is handy for notes and cards?

Not in my opinion, you've only got a clear cut 'window' for your warrant card and a back pocket on the opposite side, which in my case if filled with:

1. OPT 'Yellow' Card

2. Track Safety Certificate Card

3. Local H/O Gate Card

Doesnt leave room for Debit/Credit Cards or cash.

Where would you put your change?

Try it and you'll be amazed, I have my PTS, yellow card, gym membership, occasional parking ticket, bank card and a couple of notes in there, then on the warrant card side, I have the warrant card, my station ID and another note

as for change, thats what pockets are for :D

There are three occasions that I do not carry it:

1) When out drinking

2) When doing sports

3) When I just bob out of the house for a few minutes, for example to go to the shop. (Cornetto naturally)

The rest of the time I carry it with me. Like has been said previously, I've never used it off duty but it's nice to know it's there I suppose just in case I had to prove my identity.

• Like 4

I use mine as a wallet as well. Never had to use it either, but as has been said, better to have it and not need it etc...

Only time I won't carry it is if I'm going out drinking.

Edited by Mark_K

Always carry mine. It's partly through habit and partly because I like knowing where it is. I have no intention of getting it out off duty but would if I felt I had to. As far as I've been told it's up to me and I wouldn't be critcised for not carrying it.

I always carry mine unless, like others have said, I'm either out on the pop or only popping out briefly.

I also tend to carry an emergency fiver (or tenner if I'm feeling generous towards myself), just incase I need to buy some food as I don't carry my wallet on duty with me.

Sign in to follow this