Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
rachael27161

What to expect - PCSO Training

Hi all,

Would just basically like a brief run down of what to expect on my training?

If anybody has done it quite recently:

• How is it structured?
  • Is there any fitness?
  • What are the hours?
  • What is the duration? 6-8 weeks?

All help and advice would be much appreciated :)

Thank you!

:D

Edited by rachael27161

Hi all,

Would just basically like a brief run down of what to expect on my training?

If anybody has done it quite recently:

• How is it structured?
  • Is there any fitness?
  • What are the hours?
  • What is the duration? 6-8 weeks?

All help and advice would be much appreciated :)

Thank you!

:D

I was a met pcso until Jan this year, it was 6 weeks training when I attended like 3 years ago. Its stuctured fairly well, with a time table being given to you upon starting on what your doing each day and where you must be at certain times etc. There will be fitness as your do self defence and various bits so gym kit will be needed, but thats not normally until week 2/3. Generally the hours were 9-5 monday to friday.

Hope that helps you a little. :)

I was a met pcso until Jan this year, it was 6 weeks training when I attended like 3 years ago. Its stuctured fairly well, with a time table being given to you upon starting on what your doing each day and where you must be at certain times etc. There will be fitness as your do self defence and various bits so gym kit will be needed, but thats not normally until week 2/3. Generally the hours were 9-5 monday to friday.

Hope that helps you a little. :)

Cool thanks for your help! I know there would be C&R training, wouldn't really count that as fitness ;) is the gym compulsary?

Cool thanks for your help! I know there would be C&R training, wouldn't really count that as fitness ;) is the gym compulsary?

No the gym isnt compulsory as long as you can push and pull 30/35 your fine :) But some fitness will be needed for warm up etc, I did it in the middle of summer, when it was boiling, so hot in fact that my AC in the car did nothing at all to cool it down! :) So that was good!

Edited by Jamie1985

No the gym isnt compulsory as long as you can push and pull 30/35 your fine :) But some fitness will be needed for warm up etc, I did it in the middle of summer, when it was boiling, so hot in fact that my AC in the car did nothing at all to cool it down! :) So that was good!

Oooh yeah I got like 70-80 on my push & pull test - beast for a girl. HAHA. Sure i'll be ok. They're hoping to get me on the October intake!

Like Jamie I was a PCSO until earlier this year and I started as a PCSO just over 3 years ago too.

Things have changed slightly since I did my training, you'll be doing shifts for your training, they're either be 7-3, 9-5 or 2-10 generally. I suspect it will still be 6 weeks, I can't see how they would be able to make it any longer. If you want any more info on either the training or on Hounslow borough drop me a PM and I'll do my best to help

My training consisted of a 5 week residential course at force HQ. On day one we arrived to be given our contracts to sign, go through the paperwork and got a very very large box of uniform. Carried on with the ice-breaker stuff for the rest of the day, then at end of tour we headed back to our blocks to sort kit out.

Day two onwards was full uniform, and timetables were given for the rest of the course. Stuff like defensive tactics, S24a power of arrest, PNB, radio and equipment sessions were included in this.