Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
rob90

Lord Chancellor chides Thorpe LJ over driving ban

Lord Chancellor chides Thorpe LJ over driving ban

13 January 2012 | By Katy Dowell

Court of Appeal judge Lord Justice Thorpe has been reprimanded by the Lord Chancellor Ken Clarke and the Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge over his driving ban.

Kenneth_Clarke_150.jpg

Lord Chancellor Ken Clarke

Thorpe LJ was originally handed a six-month ban after racking up 12 points in 18 months, but this was reduced last August to eight weeks because he ran a farm in Wiltshire.

The judge was caught last February driving through a red light in his Skoda Fabia near the Royal Courts of Justice (RCJ) in London. He was caught again just two months later and pleaded guilty to failing to comply with red light signals.

District Judge Daphne Wickham reduced the ban after hearing Thorpe LJ was needed at the farm to feed his 80 cattle and no one else in his home village was qualified to do so.

A statement from the Office for Judicial Complaints said the appellate judge had been reprimanded.

"The Lord Chancellor and the Lord Chief Justice have issued Lord Justice Thorpe with a reprimand for receiving a driving ban and for failing to adhere to the guidance regarding the reporting of traffic offences," it said.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Apparently M'Lord has a little difficulty with red ATS and the like... One wonders what would happen to a police officer were they to flout the traffic laws so wantonly...?

I cannot help but think that he should receive more than a talking to for this, what credibility has he as a member of the judiciary if he cannot even manage to keep a driving licence, and, I would argue, more importantly, conform to the integrity rules about reporting his disqualification...

Edited by David
Formatting removed for ease of reading

Why does this a shock any one, depending who you are, depend on how the justice system treats you, You say a police officer, what about your Mr average, say lorry driver.

Why does this a shock any one, depending who you are, depend on how the justice system treats you, You say a police officer, what about your Mr average, say lorry driver.

I say a police officer because we are in a position of trust and expected and required to main high levels of personal integrity, and to stay on the right side of the law which we are charged with upholding. And I never expressed shock at anything. He is human, we are all flawed, I had just hoped somewhat that members of the judiciary might exercise better judgement than the majority of the population.

I've heard of similar reasons for reducing a ban being given a couple of times, I'm not sure it is as exceptional as you claim.

He was banned after Totting up offences, I don't think the sentence is that lenient.

Ken Clarke may one day have something useful to say, I live in hope but am prepared to be disappointed.

I'm pretty sure that Ken Clarke didn't actually "reprimand" Mr. Thorpe in person. Just that the law states that the person who handles judicial misconducts outcomes, such as an official reprimand, has to be the Lord Chancellor.

Just like the Chief Constable (quite probably) didn't actually say any magic words to specifically make you a police constable. Or the Queen personally commissions every officer in the armed forces.