Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_tony

Boot allowance?

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I missed the November intake and am now booked in on the February 2011 intake:clapping: . My familirisation evening isn't until start of Feb and I was just wondering if Glos Pol give a boot allowance?

With christmas coming up I was looking to send a letter to santa to get me a pair, but if Glos Pol give a boot allowance I will hang on. Also what other uniform did everyone get (shirts, trousers, warrant card holder etc...)?

Many thanks,

Rich

:w00t:

Edited by swiss_tony

As previously stated you will get a boot allowance to the value of about £35. Which can be claimed back at the familiarisation evening, you will get the paper work prior to the event. In regards to the uniform we as in terms of the current intake and previous where issued the traditional white shirts, ties, black trousers etc. But there are talks that the next intake so I am guessing the february/march intake will train in the new uniform. Which consists of black combat trousers, black polo shirt that has no force branding on but only says police. How true this is I cannot say as the new uniforms are meant to be issued around april time. But as there are a large amount of officers and pcsco's in the force you can imagine it will take along time to phase it in.

Yes it's the same, Pcso's will also wear it but their's will be blue trousers and polo shirt rather then black.

I wouldn’t be able to comment whether this is to reduce cost as I honestly don’t know. But the new uniform will I think eventually be a national standard. You will notice allot of forces already have issued its officers the new kit. I only know this information from speaking to more senior serving officers then me. Some units whithin Glospol already have the kit such as psu and firearms.

I wouldn't be able to comment whether this is to reduce cost as I honestly don't know. But the new uniform will I think eventually be a national standard. You will notice allot of forces already have issued its officers the new kit. I only know this information from speaking to more senior serving officers then me. Some units whithin Glospol already have the kit such as psu and firearms.

I've personally got mixed feelings about the new uniform.

Whilst I agree that for certain duties (Cycling, public order, for example) the new uniform is more practical, I think there is sitll a strong place for shirt / tie / epaulettes in many circumstances.

For example, it wouldn't seem right for a custody sergeant to be sat in a black t-shirt. Likewise with officers on neighbourhood / safer community teams - I think community bobbies should also still routinely wear shirt / tie / epps (and custodian for gents) - especially for events such as school visits / community engagement events.

I'm not at all against the idea of the new kit, I just hope that it's phased in suitably.

(Note, opinions expressed here are mine, not of the force, and I have no knowledge of the new uniform!)

I've personally got mixed feelings about the new uniform.

Whilst I agree that for certain duties (Cycling, public order, for example) the new uniform is more practical, I think there is sitll a strong place for shirt / tie / epaulettes in many circumstances.

For example, it wouldn't seem right for a custody sergeant to be sat in a black t-shirt. Likewise with officers on neighbourhood / safer community teams - I think community bobbies should also still routinely wear shirt / tie / epps (and custodian for gents) - especially for events such as school visits / community engagement events.

I'm not at all against the idea of the new kit, I just hope that it's phased in suitably.

(Note, opinions expressed here are mine, not of the force, and I have no knowledge of the new uniform!)

I to agree that the uniform looks good and maybe practical for certain roles within the police. But can you imagine being on SCT and going round a victims house looking like some kind of american swat officer. A shirt and tie would suffice nicely in that kind of scenario.

Details around the new uniform and the go live date are available on the Force net - yes the new intake will train in the new uniform as they won't be operational until after the go live day. (I'd be surprised if they do the passing out parade in it, though - but I've been wrong before). Other (serving) officers will be issued the kit in time to wear it from go live (but not before). There will be guidance issued on when it is to be worn and by whom.

As previously stated you will get a boot allowance to the value of about £35. Which can be claimed back at the familiarisation evening, you will get the paper work prior to the event.

Just for clarity, new officers will be able to claim back up to £39 (not 35) towards the cost of boots, as long as they have a receipt (not a print of an internet order, for example). The full rules about the boot allowances (as they can claim again after a certain number of hours, or if they are damaged on duty) can be got from their Divisional Officer - who they should meet at the Familiarisation evening.

Details around the new uniform and the go live date are available on the Force net - yes the new intake will train in the new uniform as they won't be operational until after the go live day. (I'd be surprised if they do the passing out parade in it, though - but I've been wrong before). Other (serving) officers will be issued the kit in time to wear it from go live (but not before). There will be guidance issued on when it is to be worn and by whom.

A quick reply to this, the February intake will train in the old uniform (shirt and trousers) and we will pass out in the new uniform (polo and combat trousers). Had my uniform fitting earlier this week and they gave me all my uniform, but also measured me for the new stuff. They mentioned I would need the old uniform in case I ever had to go to court to give evidence.

A quick reply to this, the February intake will train in the old uniform (shirt and trousers) and we will pass out in the new uniform (polo and combat trousers). Had my uniform fitting earlier this week and they gave me all my uniform, but also measured me for the new stuff. They mentioned I would need the old uniform in case I ever had to go to court to give evidence.

I will still be surprised if you pass out in the polo shirts. I am in a place to be fairly certain of that. And I'm afraid the court thing is a red herring: we attend court (except Coroners) in operational uniform. After the go live date, that will be the polo shirts, so that is what will be worn at Magistrates and Crown.

Edited by Forest Cop

Thanks for clearing that up. I was unsure of the reason for giving me full uniform to only hand it back at the end of training.

Sign in to follow this