Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
M_R

'Stab Proof Scarecrows'

I've just stumbled across this new book whilst reading my 'Bizarre' magazine.

It sounds like quite an interesting read. If you click on either the link above or the one I post below it will take you to a page where you can read an opening introduction to the book. Also search on google and you can read more extracts from the book.

Whats your opinions?

One point which sticks out in my mind is the point the author makes about not being asked once why he wanted to be a police officer yet bombarded with loads of other questions about race, diversity and other questions which do not seem half as important.

I think I may try and purchase this one!

Link to the page I found :eek:

Sounds like a very interesting read. I think I'll give it a look once I've finished my current one.

Thanks for that Mike.

No worries bud :eek:

I'm never a massive reader of books but things like this do interest me!

just read the opening chapter. Its not well written but is interesting. My only two gripes with it are; the author seems very anti from the start and such negativity can be hard to read and that unless you are or have been in ther police, it may be difficult to understand the police jargon he uses frequently.

However as I said seems interesting and has big writting which should keep a simpleton like me entertained for a while....... no pictures though so prehaps not :eek: :D :D :D

No worries bud :D

I'm never a massive reader of books but things like this do interest me!

Hey up Mike, It looks a good read, however I'll hang on before i buy it until its in pound land. :eek:

* Why the officers that shot Jean Charles de Menezes deserve gallantry medals.

* How Race and Diversity training has taken centre stage over self-defence, legal knowledge and common sense.

* Why the Police are reluctant to let their officers use force.

* The back stabbing that is actively encouraged by senior management.

* The focus on caring for the criminal, while leaving victims to fend for themselves.

* The bullying and underhanded tactics used to bin anyone that doesn’t fit in.

* How the modern English Police put their image before everything else.

Sounds very intresting... and possible relate to many cops!

In particular I would like to read about:

* How Race and Diversity training has taken centre stage over self-defence, legal knowledge and common sense.

* Why the Police are reluctant to let their officers use force.

* The back stabbing that is actively encouraged by senior management.

* The focus on caring for the criminal, while leaving victims to fend for themselves.

Those ones sound very familiar unfortunately and I think are relevant in the police service as a whole at the moment. The backstabbing thing I am not too sure about as I have an EXCELLENT working relationship with my colleagues but the other points are sadly quite prevelant at the moment.

Lee - typical Northerner!!! :eek:

Yes please, start from the beginning with your story, I am sitting comfortably! :D

I was going to ask if I could have a free signed copy please. :eek:

The power of PS.COM!

Lance,

Is the book a fair balanced representation of the police force as a whole or based purely on your own personal experiences?

I.E. Would Joe Public reading the book come away with a negative image of the service or an image of officers trying to do their best but swamped in red tape and paperwork?

Also,

Would you ever go back to the force?

Cheers :eek:

Mike

Sounds like an interesting read with elements that many officers might be able to relate to. I must say there is little bullying visible in our force at the moment but some things may go unnoticed for awhile and it only takes one meany to affect so many. I'm tempted to have a read.

Hi guys.

I joined the police as a Special with City of London in 2004 and was on duty on both July 7th and 21st 2005 in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks. I am also friends with a survivor of the Tavistock Square bus blast who I met on a blind date in 2006.

COLP Specials won the Ferrers Cup in 2006 for our efforts on July 7th and I have a signed letter from the then Chief Super' of Snow Hill station thanking me for attending duty that day.

These events were what inspired me to join full time and as COLP weren't recruiting I applied to a county force and started training in late 2006 (if anyone on here knows me or knows what Force I worked for I ask that you keep it off here. Despite the fact that I loathe and despise a great deal of the people I worked with, others have my complete respect and I do not wish to embarrass them. The names have all been changed in the book or simply left anonymous).

The experience was depressing, disillusioning, emasculating and humiliating. I resigned in 2008 after suffering bullying and disability discrimination (slipped disc) and realising that the modern police are a shadow of what they used to be and still should be (i.e. I don't give a ###### if you like me, I want the position in society that I hold to have your respect).

The book is based on my personal experiences, most of which were mixed to say the least. People will definitely come away with a negative image of the police but NOT officers who I have portrayed as people who are trying to stay afloat and deal with stupid managers, cretinous leadership and an incredulous amount of red tape.

My anger is focused on SMT and the lack of backbone shown by our leaders over the last few decades towards public opinion (currently being illustrated again with Ian Tomlinson's enquiry) and the desire to put public reassurance over public safety.

One of many reasons I left was what happened to murdered Manchester Goth Sophie Lancaster (hence the interview in Bizarre magazine) and her boyfriend Robert Maltby. I was angry and vicariously ashamed that this happened solely due to the degradation of society's morals and the pandering to the type of people that killed her and the misguided attempts to "understand" why teenagers act like thugs at the expense of protecting the innocent.

The book is dedicated to Sophie with her mother Sylvia's permission and one chapter is about the effect this incident had on me both as a man and a serving officer.

The book is best described as "anti police but pro police officer" and last week was no.7 on Amazon.co.uk out of 100 books in the Police genre (outselling Ali Dizaei's "Not One Of Us").

I do not know COLP's reaction but the Other Force are apparently none too pleased at SMT level while everyone below that level (bar the people who think they are in it) apparently like the book.

Free copy. LOL. Nope, but I'm selling them for £12 incl p&p (this was a bargain until Amazon started selling out and reduced the price to £6.99 including P&P).

No, I would not go back. I hate what the modern police are now, which is social workers with arrest powers (or STAB PROOF SCARECROWS) but I conversely miss being a COLP Special.

There is a blog for this at http://stabproofscarecrows.blogspot.com

A website at www.stabproofscarecrows.co.uk

and a Facebook group.

Any more let me know.

L

Free copy. LOL. Nope, but I'm selling them for £12 incl p&p (this was a bargain until Amazon started selling out and reduced the price to £6.99 including P&P).

Hehe! Worth a try eh?

I'll most likely be getting the book either way as it sounds very interesting to me.