Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Paradox

Do you claim expenses?

No.

Because as previously mentioned claiming expenses is deliberately a pain in the arse.

I book duty times and travel time accurately on DutySheet, so I should not need to jump through hoops filling out other documents and get them authorised by line managers just to get what I am owed.

Surely by not claiming "what you are owed" you're just cutting your nose off to spite your face? Our claims system is awful too, but I sure as hell make sure I get my expenses paid!

• Like 1

We used to use an old Excel spreadsheet system that wasn't so much difficult to do but was a laborious task if you didnt do it until the end of the month and had to put in 10-15 shifts. Now with the Dutysheet system it takes 5 minutes, and it's much easier to claim extras such as Boot Allowance and tunnel fares.

I have been in for 2 years now and I haven't claimed a penny, the whole system with our force is very confusing and very unclear, I prefer to stay way from it all until its cleared up.

Comming up for 3 years service now.. and still never claimed.

Untill last week I put in for the past 4 months.. comes to around £150 in mileage

I always claim, but using DutySheet is simple, i just stick in the dates of the month i wish to claim and it works it all out for me. Just print it off, sign it and stick it into internal post up the chain to be signed off.

Reading some of these responses I feel lucky. I have to fill out a form by hand with a carbon copy, which is then signed by my Sgt and submitted to finance. It takes approximately 2 minutes to fill the form out, and I've never had an issue with finance not paying out (apart from expenses accrued during basic training, of which I am still owed £200 that I don't think I'll ever see).

But with regards to the initial question, I always claim my duty allowance (BTP) but never bother with meal expenses (which we are only entitled to in certain circumstances anyway). I spend money on a taxi home from the train station most nights after a late turn so the duty allowance comes in handy. I have also put in expense claims for staying overnight in London when a duty caused me to miss my last train home which have always been reimbursed.

Edited by HerrComm

Guest cu8406

I'm all over claims like white on rice. BTPs system is very straightforward and the money makes excellent beer tokens!

Since I started around two and a half years ago, I've never claimed expenses. It's not down to anything in particular (I wouldn't consider myself a saint for it), I've just never taken the time to calculate them and hand the forms in.

So I was curious to see if there was anyone else serving at the moment that also doesn't claim part or any of their expenses.

Ours autocalculate from the duties you book...

Although claiming can be a bit of a pain...having to find a force computer to enter all my expenses, I still claim. After all it is what I have spent out in petrol etc to get to duties wherever they may be. Once you get into a routine there should not be any problems.

Don't really understand why anyone wouldn't claim to be honest, if it is there grab it.

Ours autocalculate from the duties you book...

If only!

Yeah, expenses here are very straight forward - bit of paper, put into a tray for signing off. As long as it matches your duty log you'll be fine.

I tend to only claim for longer or weekend duties, plus if I use a taxi (you know, 5AM on a bank holiday and you've been up since 6AM the previous day). Probably equates to 40% of my duties getting claimed for.

I often put mine off for 2-3 months as I'm just lazy in this area for some reason. But always claim for mileage although the pence per mile seems to be going one way and the petrol is going up!

I'm told we can also claim for a meal over so many hours but never have done as it seems to be frowned upon. Does anyone else experience this?

I've just received my first lot of expenses through from boots and training. Definitely very helpful to have.

i have put my form in and its been two months now and i am still waiting!!!!!! rather annoyed i now have another form to hand in and it will be close to £500 they owe me.

well thats not your fault so at least its building up but there is no harm in chasing these things up. Afterall if you get them in, in good time they they should be paid in good time also.

I was pleased to see you can claim for a new pair of boots after you have done so many hours/months etc.

You need to get the expenses package added to duty sheet, end of the month, click a button, all expenses completed for you all you have to do is submit them.

Mr Cheetah Sir,

Can you please expand on the expense package for DutySheet for me? I am trying to get this added for us as not only will it make claiming expenses easier but it will cut down on the amount of admin booked and hopefully result in more hours spent on patrol for our Specials.

I have put this forward to my supervisory, and it is going to be brought up at the next management meeting. What I'd like to know is your experiences of it etc and anything else that you can tell me that can strengthen the case.

If it's sensitive info then can you PM me please? :)

I don't believe it's sensitive so happy to state the case here.

The good folks at Duty Sheet can probably explain it better than I can but I'll give it a go.

To have it set up all we did was send a copy of our current claim form to Duty Sheet (they made some minor tweeks to it) and they uploaded it to the system. We also advised Duty Sheet of our different mileage rates (we have three for cars, one for Motorbikes and one for pedal cycles).

At the end of a shift and when booking off, on the stats screen you input your mileage for that duty and declare your engine size, if you aren't claiming mileage you leave the box blank and select the 'not claiming' option.

At the alloted time in the month you go into the 'My Duties' tab (which is now called 'My Duties/Expenses') and input the relevant dates, hit the button and hey presto the claim is generated for you from your booked duties.

At present we don't claim for meals but I believe this can be added as well and I think it works it out based on the length of the duty. There is also another box where you can add miscellaneous expenses should you wish.

Once you gave generated the claim it opens as a .pdf document that you can save and email or print and send off depending on your process.

We were checking our claims againsty what was in Duty Sheet, however, this is now no longer necessary because if it's on duty sheet it's on the claim and if it's on the claim it must be on duty sheet. :aok:

I highly recommend it and if I can clarify anything then just ask, alternatively Duty Sheet will be able to answer your questions better than I could.

Duty Sheet!

If you see this post and would rather it wasn't here then just drop me a PM and I shall gladly remove it.

• Like 2

I was wondering what different forces allow you to claim? In my area we claim car mileage through Duty Sheet and we can claim up to £50 for boots if we prove we need new ones. We can only claim a meal if we are kept on beyond our original tour of duty.

We can claim fuel and meals (depending on the length of your shift, your meal allowance increases) boots £40 and we can also claim for parking ticket if we park in a carpark. Also rail and bus allowance not sure on the price limits.

we can claim for all travel costs to and from duty's so whether that be fuel, train or bus providing receipt given.

We can claim for a meal after 4hrs however its frowned upon so haven't don't it myself. We can make 1 claim per year for boots up to a value of £50 each year you need to have don't at least 200hrs before your next claim. Ill be getting my 3rd set soon :D

I think I am a nervous figiter as my boots get so scuffed up!

we can claim for all travel costs to and from duty's so whether that be fuel, train or bus providing receipt given.

We can claim for a meal after 4hrs however its frowned upon so haven't don't it myself. We can make 1 claim per year for boots up to a value of £50 each year you need to have don't at least 200hrs before your next claim. Ill be getting my 3rd set soon :D

I think I am a nervous figiter as my boots get so scuffed up!

I must ask why? I've noticed a few people put that, expenses are set out in the yearly budget and therefore you can claim them. They expect you to do a shift for free, and have to buy your own food? That seems a bit silly to me, we get to claim set amounts for a 6-9 hour shift, 9-12 hour shift, 12-15, and 15+. I claim everything, I don't think you should be out of pocket at all...

I must ask why? I've noticed a few people put that, expenses are set out in the yearly budget and therefore you can claim them. They expect you to do a shift for free, and have to buy your own food? That seems a bit silly to me, we get to claim set amounts for a 6-9 hour shift, 9-12 hour shift, 12-15, and 15+. I claim everything, I don't think you should be out of pocket at all...

I am inclined to agree Force Policy or is it a specials decree of some kind? Does state doing the role shouldn't cost us anything. But that's just how it was taught in training. After 4 hours you have to ask a on duty regular Sargent to agree to the claim, it was put across that if you did ask your duty would most likely be cut short so you wouldn't need to claim... bit of a farce but as I say I haven't ever tried it so wouldn't know. It would however save me the £6 a week I spend at KFC :p

Have to agree with you, Lancs do not offer any meal allowance, only travel expenses, so if your nick is relatively close to your home and therefore you don't get a lot in travel expenses, you'll be out of pocket as soon as you buy your tea.

Yes I claim because if I didnt the 120 mile round trips to FHQ would add up to being quite a drain ! Like others here we use Dutysheet, so its really easy. Our force cant even provide a free cup of tea when we are on duty !!

Apologies for the

axebuilder-albums-miscellaneous-picture5

but expenses and the claiming/authorising of has just reared it's head again.

Time has moved on and I am now in a position in my force to perhaps have an influence in getting the DutySheet expenses module added to cut down on time spent by Specials filling out long and protracted expenses forms and then hoping that someone somewhere might hopefully eventually authorise payment of what you they rightfully owed.

I think Lancs at least have the DutySheet expenses module? any more forces please and any more feedback?

Sign in to follow this