Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Paradox

Do you claim expenses?

Does anyone know, in the Met, how long you have to claim back expenses? I saw further up in this thread that one force will bin claims made over 3 months after the event...

I only ask because mine have been sat in the expenses tray for over a month <_<

Apparently it only really becomes problematic when you haven't claimed by the next financial year...

I claimed my expenses during training, but I do not claim for mileage etc. The form looks straight forward, but is a pain and I am not that desperate for the petrol money. It would not cover the fuel, wear and tear anyway. It also has to be filled in using a red pen.

Is this a BTP thing or do any other forces have this rule? :eek:

Apparently it only really becomes problematic when you haven't claimed by the next financial year...

That's good then, thanks... 'tis about £500 worth so I'd rather get that back if I can :)

I claimed my expenses during training, but I do not claim for mileage etc. The form looks straight forward, but is a pain and I am not that desperate for the petrol money. It would not cover the fuel, wear and tear anyway. It also has to be filled in using a red pen.

Is this a BTP thing or do any other forces have this rule? :eek:

For our unit, the forms are generated automatically. We confirm our attendance online through our web-site. It keeps a record of your duties and at the end of the month, you push a button and it generates those two forms you need and populates all the information. All you have to do is print and sign. Simples. As long as you have 30 seconds to spare, you can claim a whole quarters expenses with ease.

after 3 years on not claiming, I started to in my 4th year. I'm getting about £30 a month in expenses which is not bad for an average of 30 hours a month!

But anyone know anything on the web about SC's being taxed?

If you get a bounty then you'll get taxed on some of your expenses (and the bounty). If you don't get a bounty then all your expenses should be tax free.

Always claim. Only takes a few minutes. Better in my pocket. :eek:

Exactly. For one thing, the force will get an amount of money for each and every Special on the books to meet expense costs (plus uniform, training etc.). Plus the more you cost them the more they'll want to get something back.

If you get a bounty then you'll get taxed on some of your expenses (and the bounty). If you don't get a bounty then all your expenses should be tax free.

I believe the above is incorrect:-

TA get paid for their duties (taxed). TA get expenses (not taxed). TA get bounty (tax free) - Bounty is payaple each April and only payable if the training requirements and committments have been completed.

My employer pays me a wage (taxed), I also claim expenses (not taxed) for reimbursment of out of pocket expenses (same as with Specials).

The above is all in line with the HMRC's rules :eek:

I know matey but try telling my force that! Im fed up trying to

I know matey but try telling my force that! Im fed up trying to

I'm with you there. It appears all forces seem to think if they pay you (wage of sorts) for your time, that they can't pay a "bounty" and others also claim that you will have to pay tax on your expenses. I certainly don't know where they get this from, as there is a clearly stated practice of this already in place ie TA.

It has also been claimed that forces could not cope because they will have to make deductions for tax & NI if they paid a wage. My force has 8,000 (ish) police officers and 3,000+ civilian staff. You'd have thought they'd got the hang of this process by now........ After all they been doing it since at least 1974, when the force came into being.

It always seems they there will be smoke & mirrors, to avoid coughing up for something that is costing them nothing for now.

Most forces are not taking on Regulars at the moment, but they are directing those interested in the Regs, to the Specials. This will serves a number of points, some good and some not so good.

1 - Number of specials may increase dramatically (Good), and targets will be achieved.

2 - Training / Mentoring issues, not enough exisiting specials (bad) to cope with large numbers of new specials.

3 - Those new specials will only be looking to stay as specials for a short time, (bad), until forces open books for recruitment to regulars.

etc

I always claim. Some people dont see the point, but £30 odd quid a month pays my phone bill, thats how I look at it!

Can i claim stuff from before the end of the financial year last year ? (before April ?)

Ive probably sent about £350 out of my own pocket on transport... thinking about claiming it back.

Can i claim stuff from before the end of the financial year last year ? (before April ?)

Ive probably sent about £350 out of my own pocket on transport... thinking about claiming it back.

Just ask your section officer mate. I put mine in every two months, usually about £10 now that the meal allowance has been kicked into touch. It can take about 6 months to a year to actually recieve payment. And then more often than not it will be wrong. But thats just our lot.

I claim every penny I can which is normally about £110 per month, if its there to be claimed then claim it, the force won't think any higher of you if you don't. I also encourage all of my specials team to claim every penny they can. If they ever stopped paying them I think I would pack it in, I don't need the money by any means however its the principal.

I claim mine every single month, on the dot.

I give my most valuable thing, my time, for free. The least I can get back is reimbursement so that I'm not out of pocket financially.

Claiming expenses also means that I can treat Mrs TW to a meal or some flowers now and then, to say thanks for all the times I'm out on duty - when I'm sure she'd quite like to have me at home. This weekend being such as occasion :unsure:

ive done 520 hours since december 2009.

I havent claimed anything at all since i started my training, but ive been noticing a dent in my wallet because of travel, Could i claim now for the past 7 months of my voluntary work ?

I still don't claim because it is made deliberately difficult to do so.

We were promised that it would be easier to do with with Dutysheet, but surprise surprise this has not been implemented - ho hum.

Same here. We've previously had a system called Xclaim, which the regs / staff in Surrey continue to use, but Specials have now had to revert to a more complicated sheet that needs to be completed and sent to a supervisor to authorise prior to going to HQ. We don't get subsistence either unless we go over our shift finish time.

I havent claimed anything at all since i started my training, but ive been noticing a dent in my wallet because of travel, Could i claim now for the past 7 months of my voluntary work ?

Any claim older than 3 months in our force is now being bounced back - funding cuts, etc.

By the taxman's own rules the force does not pay you a wage, but out of pocket expenses. Your force does not issue you with a payroll number, and therefore does not act as an employer, and therefore does not deduct tax at source (as it does not employ you). Therefore you can not be liable for tax. I think your mate got a raw deal from the taxman.

Police officers get a small allowance in their tax code for cleaning of uniform (since they stopped issuing dry cleaning tokens); as as special you can't get this tax allowance, and the reason the taxman gives is "the force does not employ you but only reimburses for out of pocket expenses". If you ask for this to be added to you tax allowance because your wages from your main employment is paying or the cleaning of your uniform; the taxman will tell you "tough - you are volunteering your services and not employed by the police"

I got my first payout since October -I put in for £505 and was taxed £12! Not a lot, but why should I be taxed at all?? I have to lay out for fuel costs and then later the force reimburses me -why the need for tax??

Apologies for necro-posting :new_doh2:

I still don't claim because it is made deliberately difficult to do so.

We were promised that it would be easier to do with with Dutysheet, but surprise surprise this has not been implemented - ho hum.

Same...

As for the DutySheet system.... CHEETAH!!!!!!!!!!

Same here. We've previously had a system called Xclaim, which the regs / staff in Surrey continue to use, but Specials have now had to revert to a more complicated sheet that needs to be completed and sent to a supervisor to authorise prior to going to HQ. We don't get subsistence either unless we go over our shift finish time.

That is kind of how ours works... actually I don't know how it works... I just know I sat down and attempted the "new" form the other day and couldn't work the bloody thing... absolute pain in the arse!

I got my first payout since October -I put in for £505 and was taxed £12! Not a lot, but why should I be taxed at all?? I have to lay out for fuel costs and then later the force reimburses me -why the need for tax??

You shouldn't be paying tax on expenses payment as a special. They are only covering the cost of what you have paid to travel to/from duty. I would have a word with your finance dept. incase they have taxed you incorrectly.

In theory you shouldn't be taxed so I'd query that.

No.

Because as previously mentioned claiming expenses is deliberately a pain in the arse.

I book duty times and travel time accurately on DutySheet, so I should not need to jump through hoops filling out other documents and get them authorised by line managers just to get what I am owed.

No.

Because as previously mentioned claiming expenses is deliberately a pain in the arse.

I book duty times and travel time accurately on DutySheet, so I should not need to jump through hoops filling out other documents and get them authorised by line managers just to get what I am owed.

You need to get the expenses package added to duty sheet, end of the month, click a button, all expenses completed for you all you have to do is submit them.

Sign in to follow this