Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Paradox

Do you claim expenses?

Good question, one that I ask the tax office who tell me to speak to my force who tell me to speak to the tax office covering HQ who tell me they cant help me as its not my tax office and to speak to my tax office................................oh and its taxed at BR

Whilst looking on the tax office website I found this interesting quote

I shant bother posting it in General Discussion I can just imagine the replies

But anyone know anything on the web about SC's being taxed?

You'll get a heated discussion which will end with 'Why can't PCSO's use B&T's?' 

My force tells me I need to declare my expenses to HMRC, and it is solely my responsibility.

The most i had when i claimed expenses was around £320 so it's worth it.

We just use a template that has already been pre filled with certain info, put my shifts i've completed in then print it off. A five minute job.

Whilst looking on the tax office website I found this interesting quote

Police Community Support Officers wear a uniform which is identical, apart from its insignia, to that of a uniformed police officer. They may also be given the flat rate expenses deduction of £140 per year

The insert reference PCSO's £140, is the tax allowance for cleaning of the uniform. This is the same for Police Officers, who also get this flat rate (Both HA traffic Officers and Police uniformed civilian workers should also get this)

Yet Specials are not entitled to this allowance (presummably we don't clean our uniforms) because we don't get a wage, from the police force. So our wages from our employment must pay for this activity, which in turn we can not claim this tax allowance against. Great system ........!

Edited by 24880208

sent off mine for 340 miles over 3 months... I have no idea how much I'll get, but thats almost a full tank so be about £50

As a derbyshire special we only get to claim milage at around 28p a mile which means its worth around £12 a month to me and I book the 30 minutes or so i spend filling in the forms on my timesheet as admin.

Im always find it strange that people in voluntary roles would be willing to sacrifice any sort of expenses after all we do the job for free so why also spend your own money!

I try to remember to claim my expenses, though as it has been suggested it is a highly beaurocratic process designed to deter you from claiming it (no doubt!). Its not a perk and its certainly not an income.. if you get £300 expenses then somewhere along the line you must have spent around that figure!

Like Derbys we in Notts only get 28p/mile compared to 56p/mile which the regs get.. Maybe they all have 7000cc cars or something.. If you travel by bus then you should keep your tickets and they will be refunded (after much photocopying, signing and stapling), if you are required to stay on duty after the buses have stopped running then you will get a courtesy taxi cab ('required' means asked by an Inspector to stay on duty and not because you've rotered yourself on for those times or have over-run due to paperwork etc.) Travel costs only cover direct routes which are then used as a cost centre for your usual station, if you travel to a foreign station be prepared for more form filling..

Our refs expenses only kick in if you've done 10 hours duty and you have been asked (by an Inspector) to stay on. You get something like £8 as a meal allowance.

We can get tokens for cleaning costs associated with the uniform - which is a waste of time unless you really really want to take it to the laundry (and pay more in travel...)

Edited by Obsidian_Eclipse

Well I claim every month as it's better off in my pocket than the governments. Did have someone ask why I don't add 40p to claim for the stamp for when I send it in. Think that's taking it a bit far though.

My chargeout rate in my day job is about £450 per day, so the force is getting me at a bargain price of about £1 per hour.

We have to submit claims within 3 months other they are binned. I do a fair few courses every year so claim for mileage. To make it harder (it seems...), they insist on seeing our veh docs which must include being insured for business use for traveling. Some officers have had to pay an extra 20-30 pounds on their car insurance for this. I asked mine and they said it sounds like a scam as you are not on 'business' if in your own car between your home and course location, you are not going to stop someone in your own car....

You may be on duty for time sheet purposes but you wont be doing anything proactive.

We have to submit claims within 3 months other they are binned. I do a fair few courses every year so claim for mileage. To make it harder (it seems...), they insist on seeing our veh docs which must include being insured for business use for traveling. Some officers have had to pay an extra 20-30 pounds on their car insurance for this. I asked mine and they said it sounds like a scam as you are not on 'business' if in your own car between your home and course location, you are not going to stop someone in your own car....

You may be on duty for time sheet purposes but you wont be doing anything proactive.

What? You mean you've not got a blue light in the glove box, two tones under the bonnet, and a Taser in the boot? You're weird you are :D

I designed (designed is really too grand a term) an Excel spreadsheet for mine. All the usual expenses are on drop down menus so I just point and click. Anything else I have to type in, obviously. Print it off and sign it, job's a good'un.

Had to run it past admin first though, as it's not an "official" form :eek:

Edited by Damsel

I designed (designed is really too grand a term) an Excel spreadsheet for mine. All the usual expenses are on drop down menus so I just point and click. Anything else I have to type in, obviously. Print it off and sign it, job's a good'un.

I've got a similar spreadsheet, although not as fancy as yours - I just enter the start & end times of my duties and it works out all my expenses for me. I simply transfer it onto the official form at the end of the month and submit it (I've never thought to tart it up and ask admin if I could use it instead).

Great minds and all that!! :eek:

On Merseyside, especially Wirral, we have to submit our expenses by the friday closest to the 20th of each month, otherwise we get put down as a non-parader as it ties in with our PI sheet and time sheet. :eek:

The point is your motor insurance will allow spocail & domestic purpose on it and include commuting. This will be defined as travelling to and from ONE NORMAL place of work. You will need class 1 business use, which allows travel to and from MORE than one place of work. This normally does not cost any extra, but will depend on the company. Usually you will be signing an expenses form which may also include some wording that say you have business use.

It is certainly a requirement of my force that you have business use on your insurance, as it is wth my employer. So if I want to be re-imbursed for my expenses, particually mileage its certainly worth the cost of a phone call.

I never botherd when i was special claiming my expenses, could never be bothered filling in the forms for what it was worth, my time was more important to me.

But do you claim your overtime and expenses now ? :eek:

I always claim my expenses thus far, because, being stationed at the same station as the Specials Finance guy...He hounds me if he is missing any of my forms :eek:

I always put mine in, have a seperate account for them and buy tea and coffee busicuits etc for all the specials on division, also use it to cover leaving gifts and the like as its easier than trying to get people to chip in

Edited by Stuart 5646

Whaaaat? loads of you guys have terrible systems. I thought it was the same nationwide (bar BTP and the forces that have tax breaks/bounties/whatever).

We get a standard sum depending on the amount of hours of duty done - and some 20something p per mile for mileage on top.

Wow If I'm ever out of London I can't say I'm particularly enthused to stay in the SC ! That said we have gone up to 300 hours for new people

Whaaaat? loads of you guys have terrible systems. I thought it was the same nationwide (bar BTP and the forces that have tax breaks/bounties/whatever).

We get a standard sum depending on the amount of hours of duty done - and some 20something p per mile for mileage on top.

Wow If I'm ever out of London I can't say I'm particularly enthused to stay in the SC ! That said we have gone up to 300 hours for new people

We get 40p a mile in Avon & Somerset. These tractors are expensive to run you know :eek:

A duty over 6 hours, we can claim 1 meal @ £6.87. And over 9 hours is 2 meals £9.61 though quite how they do the sums on that, where 2 meals only cost 1/3 more than 1, I don't know.

Boot allowance is £75, but we can realistically only claim for a new pair of boots every two years, though I'm just getting to the stage where I need a new pair, and I've had mine 4 years. Does that mean I can claim £150?.... NO! :D

No, I do not need recommendations as to which boots to buy :D

As I have said before in this topic I claim my expenses purely because admin and the officer that deals with them used to moan at me if I didn't

but due to the number of hours I put in, in the year I do make a tasty little sum at the end of it and this goes nicely to treating myself to things throughout the year as a pat on the back for a job well done

considering that the required minimumn hours are still 4 a week in Cumbria I have carried out 9 years 1 month and 2 weeks worth of duties in 31 months

edit to add

These are quality hours as well not just making up the numbers hours

Edited by French-A

As I have said before in this topic I claim my expenses purely because admin and the officer that deals with them used to moan at me if I didn't

but due to the number of hours I put in, in the year I do make a tasty little sum at the end of it and this goes nicely to treating myself to things throughout the year as a pat on the back for a job well done

considering that the required minimumn hours are still 4 a week in Cumbria I have carried out 9 years 1 month and 2 weeks worth of duties in 31 months

edit to add

These are quality hours as well not just making up the numbers hours

:eek:

I just worked out my hours since April last year. The only figures I have handy. With March still left to go I've done 571 1/4 hours in the past 11 months.

:eek:

I just worked out my hours since April last year. The only figures I have handy. With March still left to go I've done 571 1/4 hours in the past 11 months.

Do you get any recognition from the force for going above and beyond the minimum number of hours per year?

If we do over 400 in the year for Cumbria we get a certificate of appreciation framed presented to us at an awards evening last year i got mine for 786 hours in the year and to date so far this year from April '09 im on just over 800 hours so i want 2 certificates

Do you get any recognition from the force for going above and beyond the minimum number of hours per year?

If we do over 400 in the year for Cumbria we get a certificate of appreciation framed presented to us at an awards evening last year i got mine for 786 hours in the year and to date so far this year from April '09 im on just over 800 hours so i want 2 certificates

Well, I don't know, but I've never had anything yet. Oh, apart from a personal issue Airwave. Does that count? :eek:

I received a certificate for my first 750 hours completed, but not had anything since... although I'm running out of available space on my "police wall" :D I've just had a quick tally, and I probably average around 750-800 hours a year - I get the thanks of the squads and custody staff, that's good enough for me. :eek:

Does anyone know, in the Met, how long you have to claim back expenses? I saw further up in this thread that one force will bin claims made over 3 months after the event...

I only ask because mine have been sat in the expenses tray for over a month :eek:

Sign in to follow this