Photo
- - - - -

Parks Law Enforcement (London)

arrest/detention batons blues and twos body armour handcuffs helmet other emergency services

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

I had a couple of hours spare this afternoon so knowing that a few people are interested in London Specific Parks Law Enforcement complied this- a couple of boroughs I was unable to find out but as an when maybe a MOD can add it in, Any officers based on these boroughs who can add information please do

As and when I get confirmation of what powers/Act they work under I'll update please feel free to add your own information

LB Barking and Dagenham Formerly Parks Constabulary Now Metropolitan Police

LB Barnet?

LB Bexley?

LB Brent?

LB Bromley Private Security Patrol (Ward Security)

LB Camden Parks Patrol Service (Council)

City of London (Hampstead Heath Constabulary, Epping Forest Keepers)

LB Croydon Mobile Enforcement Unit Including Dog Section (Council)

LB Ealing Private Parks Patrol (Parkguard)

LB Enfield Metropolitan Police Patrol

Royal Borough of Greenwich Parks Enforcement Officers (Council) – Met Police Royal Parks

LB Hackney Park Rangers (Council)

LB Hammersmith and Fulham Parks Police Service (With RBKC)

LB Haringey Formerly Parks Constabulary Now Metropolitan Police

LB Harrow?

LB Havering Parks Protection Service (Council)

LB Hillingdon Parks Patrol Service (Council)

LB Hounslow?

LB Islington Private Parks Patrol (Parkguard)

Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Parks Police Service (With LBHF)

Royal Borough Kingston upon Thames

LB Lambeth Formerly Park Rangers, Now Met Police (any Council Officer may enforce by-laws)

LB Lewisham Park Keeper Service (Council- Greenscene)

LB Merton Park Rangers (Possibly sworn as Met Scs- Borough Beat Scheme)

LB Newham Formerly Parks Constabulary Now Council Officers & Metropolitan Police

LB Redbridge Formerly Parks Police Service Now Community Police Team (Met Police)

LB Richmond upon Thames Private Parks Patrol (Parkguard)

LB Southwark Park Liaison Officers (Council)

LB Sutton Formerly Sutton Parks Constabulary now Safer Parks Teams (Met Police)

LB Tower Hamlets Park Ranger Services (Council)

LB Waltham Forest

LB Wandsworth Formerly Parks Police now Safer Parks Team(Met Police) & Events Police

City of Westminster

#2 OFFLINE   modplod06

modplod06

Training

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

So there is only the parks police services that are attested constables? are the various other service just policing on the cheap with no recognised standard across the board.

#3 OFFLINE   Crucible

Crucible

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

It would seem only Hammersmith & Fulham, Hillingdon, R.B. Kensington & Chelsea and Wandsworth still have attested constables?

There is a power of arrest for 'authorised' council officers under Article 19 of the Ministry of Housing and Local Government Provisional Order Confirmation (Greater London Parks and Open Spaces) Act 1967, in circumstances where a person commits a byelaw offence and their details cannot be established. It would be interesting to know if any council has authorised their officers to use this power. The threshold for the power seem quiet high- it does not mention 'suspicion' or 'belief'. The offence must have been committed for the arrest to be lawful. I seem to recall that Park Keepers from the Greater London Council used to have authorisation to use ths power and uses to carry their own 'warrant card' to give them ther powers under this section.

I have checked and this statutory power of arrest does not appear to have been repealed. However, an authorised council officer or constable can no longer call upon "any person" to assist (this has part has been repealed by SOCPA).

http://www.legislati...19670029_en.pdf

Edited by DGP, 13 February 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Crucible

Crucible

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Just another irrelevant bit of trivia, but legislation exists to appoint constables under the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Act 1871:

Appointment of constables
90. The Conservators may from time to time appoint officers for securing the execution of this Act and byelaws thereunder, and may procure any such officers to be sworn in as constables.

http://www.ledr.com/.../1871024.htm#93

The legislation doesn't seem to place restriction on such constables, as it doesn't include the words 'for that purpose'. So they may theoretically have full powers?

#5 OFFLINE   Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Security Staff

The Commons are patrolled between dusk and dawn, 365 days a year. The most effective form of transport on the Commons is the horse. Horses can cope with the rigorous conditions and have been the preferred form of transport for the Conservators' security section for well over 70 years.

The Keepers are uniformed and the current team of 7 Keepers all have a military background. They are all competent horsemen, knowledgeable in the ways of the countryside and trained in first aid. Their role is to uphold the 1871 Wimbledon and Putney Commons Act and protect the safety of Commons users.

For security purposes, the Commons are divided into three sectors. Each sector is patrolled twice daily by one or more of the Keepers. The patrols take place between dawn and dusk with each patrol lasting up to about three hours. The main focus of the Keepers' role is to ensure that the users of the Common are safe but also to ensure that the Commons users aren't breaking any of theBye-laws which govern the Common.

At walking pace, the horses can cover four miles in an hour and each horse is on patrol for an average of 6 hours a day: that will give you some idea of the area of the Commons that is covered by the Keepers each day. The Keepers also patrol on foot, often accompanied by their canine companions!

http://www.wpcc.org.uk/staff.html

#6 OFFLINE   Crucible

Crucible

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for that.

Whilst the role of the Keepers is to deal with byelaws (and, indeed, misbehaving Wombels) I am not sure if they still attest them? The Keepers have a statutory power of arrest anyhow under the Act if details are refused, so there may be no need to attest them.

My comments were around what powers such constables would have in theory. I'm not sure there are currently any :(

Edited by DGP, 14 February 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

I'm glad you reminded me of them, as to be honest I just went borough to borough and forgot about the commonland

While I'm at it a couple of updates

LB Bexley Private Security Patrol (Ward Security)

LB Brent Park Warden Service (Council)

#8 OFFLINE   Crucible

Crucible

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Brent had a parks Constabularly, which was disbanded in the 1990s apparently.

This is quiet an interesting thread ;-)

It would be interesting to clarify which councils specifically PAY the MET to police their Parks. I know that Enfield and Wandsworth have specific 'safer parks teams'. Redbridge pay the MET, but I am no sure if they have a dedicated team. Newham Council have 66 MET Officers that the have 'purchased' and whom they task, that work within the same council divisions the 40 odd uniformed 'Law Enforcement' officers that they have; both of these are responsible for patrolling parks.

Edited by DGP, 14 February 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

Brent had a parks Constabularly, which was disbanded in the 1990s apparently.

Constables in name only, the officers carried no PPE and had no training.

#10 OFFLINE   Crucible

Crucible

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

If you are collecting information on all parks and open spaces, then there is also Lee Valley Park. They have responsibility for canals and parks areas within London, Hertfordshire and Essex. I think that their responsibilities extend down to Limehouse or in the docklands. They have Rangers, whom have a power of arrest under the byelaws if details are refused apparently.

#11 OFFLINE   Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

If you are collecting information on all parks and open spaces, then there is also Lee Valley Park. They have responsibility for canals and parks areas within London, Hertfordshire and Essex. I think that their responsibilities extend down to Limehouse or in the docklands. They have Rangers, whom have a power of arrest under the byelaws if details are refused apparently.

Lee Valley are Patrolled by Parkguard, it's part in London(not sure of borough) and part Broxbourne

34.jpg

Edited by Isolated Incident, 14 February 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Crucible

Crucible

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

Lee Valley are Patrolled by Parkguard, it's part in London(not sure of borough) and part Broxbourne
34.jpg

They are contracted by Broxbourne Council, but I didn't realise that Lee Valley paid them to patrol as well. That's an interesting mix.

Actually, come to think of it I saw a funny looking 'parks police' type of vehicle in London and it must have been them. It would have been very close to Lee Valley owned land, adjourning the Olympic Park.

Edited by DGP, 14 February 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Parkguard started in Islington and seem to have a Large tract of the southeast sewn up, by all accounts they've earned a few different commendations from a few forces.

#14 OFFLINE   Crucible

Crucible

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

Parkguard started in Islington and seem to have a Large tract of the southeast sewn up, by all accounts they've earned a few different commendations from a few forces.

Indeed.

And the list compiled in this thread would be of some commercial value for anyone scoping the current market in private parks security. Ultimately, when Park Guard's contracts expire then there would have to be an open tendering exercise?

#15 OFFLINE   Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

I think it was Bexley, I found a document seeking approval to renew the contract with Ward a year early without the tender process so it is possible that LAs who're happy could offer some sort of rolling contract

#16 OFFLINE   Crucible

Crucible

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:17 AM

34.jpg

I just read something else and I didn't really realise that part of the Olympic Park is under the control of Lee Valley (the bit that sits within Waltham Forest and includes the Velodrome), which is why I probably saw a rent-a-(park)cop van cruising about.

That's certainly going to add an interesting dynamic to the policing of the park. It also complicates it because the Lee Valley bit has different by-laws to the sections of the part located within Newham, Tower Hamlets or Hackney who have agreed a common set of by-laws between them. From the point of view of a member of public, they would have very little understanding of which borough they are in.

Edited by DGP, 15 February 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

Bo-5zSbIUAEiUL6.jpg

It seems Parkguard are now doing the estates as well as the parks in Islington

BgGwuFzCIAElabW.jpg

And looking further at their Twitter account Street Patrols, in conjunction with the local Police

Edited by Forlorn Hope, 02 June 2014 - 01:26 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   Solveman

Solveman

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:40 PM

Parkguard seem to have found a niche for themselves, however, you cannot better a trained officer with proper powers. I realise, of course, that only Hampstead and, I think, RPC have/ had proper police powers, though don't quote me on that and I am also about to double check my facts... However, where there are byelaws then any person can be appointed to enforce them, be it  parks, factories or railways. One does not have to be an attested constable but, as has been mentioned, this wouldn't be covered by 'suspicion' etc. It's all a complicated affair and, personally, I think that if councils are going to pay the local territorial force to police the parks then why not send recruits to the police college and reinstate the parks police forces with proper attested constables. It would free up the local officers but would mean that there were properly attested officers that could be called in to assist the territorial force in times of emergency, as the the RPC used to when there were demos at Westminster.

Also, London parks police were established under a 1967 act. Would it be a similar act if, say, my local Borough Council in Essex wanted to establish a parks constabulary, does anyone know? Also, would anyone know the relevant act for starting a private police force, or if there is still one? It used to be covered by the 1829 Police Act but I think the rules have changed with subsequent acts. Just curiosity really. I have been reading the various acts and really am not sure.

Out of interest, a Greenwich Parks Police helmet from my own collection. If anyone has a Parks Police helmet plate, or any other non territorial, that they could be pursuaded to sell then please do let me know. I could be interested, if I don't already have it. Thank you

All the best

Attached Files

• Attached File  GPP.jpg   34.69KB   0 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arrest/detention, batons, blues and twos, body armour, handcuffs, helmet, other emergency services

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users