Sign in to follow this  
LosingGrip

Parking on the pavement

Just wondering if anyone is able to help me about parking on the pavement.

Where I live we get a few people parking on the pavement, often blocking the pavement for people in wheelchairs or pushchairs, I often have to walk down the middle of the road with my brother in his wheelchair as cars are parked on the pavement on both sides of the road.

Is there anything that can be done? Is it against the law at all?

s.72 of the Highways Act 1835, makes it an offence to drive a motor vehicle on the pavement and thereby a vehicle which is parked on the pavement will be assumed to have been put there by driving unless the owner can provide evidence to the contrary. NEFPN notice applies and you will find out about these when you do your training, providing you do OK on Sunday.

It will depend entirely on the situation, marked parking bays half on pavements are obviously legal. And your force (like mine) may not cover parking offences under FPN systems, due to the introduction of civil parking enforcement.

I would only have the option of NE-FPN'ing the vehicle for 'Causing an Unnecessary Obstruction'. If it is the fact that a number of vehicles park there and it is a residential street, I think some words of advice to drivers might be the best start.

Thanks both of you :D

On a side note...we could normally go and speak to them about it, but last time we spoke to them about something (parking again) we had our car damaged...although we cant prove it was one of the kids around here...chances of it being anyone else are slim.

Arr... well perhaps a word with the local PCSO or PC might mean they can have a word. Afterall if you can't get a wheelchair past then mothers with prams will be struggling aswell.

If after suitable advice from them then tickets can be issued, perhaps.

Causing an unnecessary obstruction. There is a seperate offence for HGV's of parking on the pavement/verge.

Sounds quite dangerous if you have to walk in the road.

I would ring up your local PS and ask for the PCSO's to pop round and deal with it.

Most parking seems to be delt with by the local councils these days and they rarely turn down a chance to give out tickets and make tom cash if they know about it, so give them a call.

Whether it's council parking attendants or police traffic wardens that enforce the parking, causing an unnecessary obstruction is an offence dealt with by PCSO/Police Officers/Police TW's. Civil enforcement may or may not have any power to deal depending on the local orders/restrictions and location.

what if the owners of the car lives on a busy main road, and with the other 30 cars on one side of the street has no choice but to park half on the pavement due to amount of times the wing mirrors have been knocked off, are you going to ticket all 30 cars?

Are all 30 cars blocking the pavement?

The pavement is for pedestrians.

If there are people with pushchairs/wheelchairs having to use the road because the pavement is blocked then the cars will have to move.

I would knock on doors and encourage them to park with a little more consideration.

I don't have an interest in upsetting 30 car drivers but I do have a duty to make sure pedestrians aren't endangered by the actions of the car drivers.

I park half on the verge half on the road in my street.

This means the house opposite can park their car in the road and there's still room for cars to drive past.

The pavement is clear but my car is on the grass verge, am I in breach of that s72?

I park half on the verge half on the road in my street.

This means the house opposite can park their car in the road and there's still room for cars to drive past.

The pavement is clear but my car is on the grass verge, am I in breach of that s72?

Is the verge a pavement? Do you drive your vehicle on the verge/pavement to get it there?

Justifying breaking one law to avoid breaking another one (causing an obstruction) when both were avoidable isn't going to hold up, I think...

what if the owners of the car lives on a busy main road, and with the other 30 cars on one side of the street has no choice but to park half on the pavement due to amount of times the wing mirrors have been knocked off, are you going to ticket all 30 cars?

and let's not forget...there's no god-given right to park outside your house. One doesn't own the stretch of road in front of one's house.... unless you live on a private road of course.

There are 11 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this