Sign in to follow this  
X5WAM

car with no road tax

Car with out of date road tax parked in a train station car park spotted when off dutie!What do you do?Call the local stationCall BTPNot bother as your off dutie

Car with out of date road tax parked in a train station car park spotted when off dutie!What do you do?Call the local stationCall BTPNot bother as your off dutie

All Police can do is inform DVLA who can chose to prosecute / fine the offender at their discretion.

Being an off duty cop doesn't really come into it, it's not a matter you would report to the Police. Any person can report an untaxed vehicle to DVLA directly.

If you want to know how, A 5 second google returned the following:

If you see a vehicle on the public road with an out of date tax disc, you can report it online, by telephone or by post. You don't have to give your name. Your report will be investigated and enforcement action taken, if needed.

What you need to report

Provide the details about the vehicle:

• registration mark
  • make, model and colour

Provide details about the location of the vehicle:

• eg outside 24 Anystreet, Anytown, Any Postcode
  • any feature landmark eg opposite telephone box

If possible, provide:

• the time the vehicle can be seen on the public road
  • name and address of the owner

Report the vehicle

Use the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency's (DVLA) online service.

By phone

Telephone the national untaxed vehicles telephone hotline on freephone 0800 0325 202.

By post

Send a letter to the enforcement section at your nearest DVLA local office.

What happens next

An enforcement field officer, who will make a formal sighting of the vehicle and complete a witness statement, will investigate the information you provide and take the appropriate action if needed.

Source: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...icle/DG_4022073

Reason for edit - Source URL added.

Edited by SC James

But to go home from station je needs to go on public road. Is there some other reason apart from being skint that the incumbent has no road tax? Insurance, mot etc

But to go home from station je needs to go on public road. Is there some other reason apart from being skint that the incumbent has no road tax? Insurance, mot etc

Quite possibly - but in your scenario, you are off duty.

Although you carry your powers/rights of a Constable while off duty, you would only really be expected to act off duty if it was serious enough to warrant doing so.

You'd need to apply some discretion -

In your post, the only fact known is that the car has an expired VEL.

In the scheme of things, (especially while off duty!) all you have is a minor traffic discretion.

If on duty with a radio you could do more checks on the car if desired, but my opinions is that it's not worth of any off duty involvement, other than noting details and informing DVLA as above if you feel that strongly about it.

I know I certainly don't have time to stop and look at everyone's tax disks while I'm going about my daily business :prone:

If I walked past a car and spotted an out of date vel of more than fortnight while off duty I think I would take 5 minutes at home to report it. I pay £35 per year for my tax so why shouldn't others pay their way

So you've got a bigger reason to report untaxed vehicles

I am not disputing that reporting to DVLA via the correct means, is the correct thing to do, IF you feel it's appropriate.

I would still question the OP though, regarding informing the Police for further checks, when you spot a car without tax off duty.

Agreed, it does raise the question that if the owner is lacking tax, suspicion is increased wiht regards to what other legal motoring requirements are lacking - but realistically, it's not practical (or appropriate, really) when off duty, to be spotting untaxed cars and running further checks (apart from informing DVLA). Is it? :prone:

I am not disputing that reporting to DVLA via the correct means, is the correct thing to do, IF you feel it's appropriate.

I would still question the OP though, regarding informing the Police for further checks, when you spot a car without tax off duty.

Agreed, it does raise the question that if the owner is lacking tax, suspicion is increased wiht regards to what other legal motoring requirements are lacking - but realistically, it's not practical (or appropriate, really) when off duty, to be spotting untaxed cars and running further checks (apart from informing DVLA). Is it? :prone:

Depending on individual circumstances I may decide to investigate it further

Better things to do with my time to be fair...... if you really are feeling a bit of a power surge when off duty then phone the dvla if you really have to...

Unless your a closet traffic warden who patrols car parks when you cant get on duty :prone: ..

Three points

1) The car park is not public highway so no DVLA offence (yes it might have travelled on public road etc) so assuming that the owner has the permission of the car park owner and has completed a SORN then no action.

2) DVLA now send out automatic fines unless a SORN is completed.

3) Assuming that the owner does not have permission from the owner then most car parks make it a condition of entry that you to have an in date tax disc but even then this would be a civil matter.

In short not a lot... if it was on the public highway, then it could be removed by the local government if they were so inclined.. but they will only do so once they've determined that it's not SORN

I really wouldnt bother doing a great deal as as been said all we can do is report it to DVLA. There has been a car ouside one of my shops for nearly 9 weeks with no tax and ive lost count the number of parking attendants and PCSO's that have walked past and not given it a second glance.

Are you for real - what do you do when you see an expired tax disc off duty?

Railway car park is more than likely not a public road.

There are 15 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this