Sign in to follow this  
duffymoon62

OUTRAGING THE PUBLIC DECENCY

I read in my local newspaper about someone who had been charged with this offence.I was told that the person charged had been caught urinating in public but from information ive found on the internet it seems a much more serious offence.What offences would warrant this charge of outraging the public decency.The piece in the paper mentioned twocounts of outraging the public decency,does this mean two offences on different dates or two offences all in one as it were?

Urinating in public could constitute the offence, however it would need aggravating factors, for example intentional exposure of genitals, or urinating on a dying person (as someone was convicted of recently).

Outraging public decency is a common law offence and is triable only upon indictment I believe, with a maximum penalty of life imprisonment. In the example you give, it's likely that it was a far more complex thing than a quick pee in publiuc.

If the guy was urinating in an alloy or a doorway then this is still an offence of urinating in a public place, but if the guy was urinating in the middle of the pavement in full view of MoP's then it could constitute public indecency or possibly indecent exposure.

Urinating in public could constitute the offence, however it would need aggravating factors, for example intentional exposure of genitals, or urinating on a dying person (as someone was convicted of recently).

Outraging public decency is a common law offence and is triable only upon indictment I believe, with a maximum penalty of life imprisonment. In the example you give, it's likely that it was a far more complex thing than a quick pee in publiuc.

Yep, there would be aggravating factors. I doubt a simple pee down an ally, unless he waited for someone to come past before dropping his trousers.

Flashing at the kids in the park or through the school gates could be an outrage of public decency, it would probably carry more weight than a simple Public Order offence.

Using a video camera to film 'voyeuristic' images could also be a outrage of public decency. Even if no one saw you do it - but it was capable of being witnessed by one or more persons and it was possible someone could be affected by it.

Really???? what sort of sick person would do that!!!

As pointed out in the public breastfeeding thread, to be guilty of the offence it requires the behaviour to be 'lewd, obscene and disgusting'.

Really???? what sort of sick person would do that!!!

Someone did, and got several years for it. There is a news thread on the site somewhere.

Flashing at the kids in the park or through the school gates could be an outrage of public decency, it would probably carry more weight than a simple Public Order offence.

Using a video camera to film 'voyeuristic' images could also be a outrage of public decency. Even if no one saw you do it - but it was capable of being witnessed by one or more persons and it was possible someone could be affected by it.

I would say sexual offences are probably most appropriate there, but three people were recently charged and convicted of the offence near to where I live for having sex on a beach.

Must be an Essex thing :prone:

Didn't pre-read my reply before posting. "alley"

I can't believe the Essex twang has caught up to me, only lived in Essex since 2002 previously an East Londoner :iagree:

We're in the process of investigating someone for this very offence,

To Outrage Public Decency you must do something to outrageous,

Where at least two or more people were or could have been present and in a place where its reasonable to expect that there could be others around.

My 3rd arrest was an outrage of public decency.

Couple at it hammer and tongs in a graveyard in Barking about 10 metres from a footpath leading into the town centre.

If you don't know Barking does come under Essex. Although, it is covered by the Met.

Edited by iPlod

Note too that the act the person is doing has to be something more than trivial. One recent example from my town is a girl who was giving her boyfriend oral sex outside a nightclub.

There may be other, more appropriate statutory offences to use though - sexual offences, public order, etc. This is a common law offence and therefore something of a fallback if nothing else applies.

My 3rd arrest was an outrage of public decency.

Couple at it hammer and tongs in a graveyard in Barking about 10 metres from a footpath leading into the town centre.

If you don't know Barking does come under Essex. Although, it is covered by the Met.

Doing it in a graveyard is bad enough, but I know the graveyard and town centre your talking about, and they actually quite close, how on earth did they think they could get away with it?

Amazingly even when people are drunk they don't want to wet themselves. But they must think they are dogs, by peeing up lampposts and other things

(Once had a guy urinate up the back wheel of a police carrier) Shoud have seen his face when the back doors opened :prone:

I'm a bit confused about this urinating. I thought for outraging public decency the behaviour had to be lewd, and for behaviour to be lewd there must be a sexual nature.

I'm a bit confused about this urinating. I thought for outraging public decency the behaviour had to be lewd, and for behaviour to be lewd there must be a sexual nature.

It does, but if they are urinating in the middle of the pavement, waving their magic wand about it could constitute as lewd, plus they may splash the police car :prone:

There are 13 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this