Sign in to follow this  
Police Specials

Restricted Occupations

Here's a list of occupations which are typically excluded, i.e. if you do a job on this list, you can't be a Special. This list changes from time to time, and there appears to be some local variation. As far as I am aware, this list is correct at the time of writing (May 2009).

• Members of Police Authorities
  • Magistrates
  • Clerks to Justice
  • Clerks to Courts
  • Members of employer's police forces
  • Holders of liquor licences, managers of licenced houses and their husband or wife
  • licencees of betting and gaming establishments and lottery promoters
  • Bailiffs and Warrant Officers
  • Probation Officers
  • Members of private security organisations (whether directors, partners or employees)
  • Includes security personnel, guards, door staff
    • May also include Prison Custody Officers

[*]Private detectives and enquiry agents

[*]School crossing patrols and traffic wardens

[*]Members of Fire Services (but see below)

[*]Members of the Armed Forces (see below re TA)

[*]Members of medical, nursing and midwifery professions, and Ambulance Service (unless written permission is given by their employing NHS Trust or Health Authority)

[*]Neighbourhood, street wardens and other uniformed patrol wardens

[*]Highways Agency Traffic Officers

Subject to approval by the Chief Superintendent of Personnel Services, members of the Territorial Army may be permitted to join the Special Constabulary whilst still serving in the Territorial Army.

If you are a member of the reserve forces (i.e. Royal Navy, Army, Air Force) then you can join the Special Constabulary, and the same works in the opposite directions (i.e. Specials can join a reserve). It may be that police forces have local policies which would go against this, however it seems likely that under the "unfair treatment of part-time employees regulations" or the Human Rights Act any appeal would be successful anyway.

Some forces also exclude staff who hold certain full-time occupations in the police service, such as Civilian Detention Officers and front office staff. Check with your force.

Although some forces, including the Metropolitan Police, still won't accept members of the fire service into the Specials, it appears that others will. If this affects you, then check with the recruitment department of your chosen force to be sure.

Prison custody officers are ineligible.

Members are the armed forces are ineligible. [Excluding reserve forces]

Edited by RMP

Prison custody officers are ineligible.

Members are the armed forces are ineligible. [Excluding reserve forces]

When I first started many moons ago, two of the people in my intake come from this list, one being a nurse and the other a prison officer...

When I first started many moons ago, two of the people in my intake come from this list, one being a nurse and the other a prison officer...

I didn't say prison officer, I said prison custody officer. The difference being is that a prison officer already has the powers of constable when on duty, the latter is a civilian employer from a company such as G4S.

The comment Lord Vader made about nurses is in brackets, (unless written permission is given by their employing NHS Trust or Health Authority).

Edited by RMP

<LI>Members of medical, nursing and midwifery professions, and Ambulance Service (unless written permission is given by their employing NHS Trust or Health Authority)

i've just applied and awaiting occupational health appointment and i work for the ambulance service. i think you'll find it is if you are an officer in the service then you cannot join.

I've just resigned from SWP specials for a few reasons, one of which is that I'm hoping to join the Navy. Why is it that members of the forces are ineligible?

Conflict of interests apparently. I was in the Navy and was told i couldn't join.

Under the NDA (Naval Discipline Act) your rank gives you certain responsibilities, some of which could be read across to those of a constable (albeit very loosely) so i guess this is where the conflict of interests arises from.

I work for the NHS and hopefully if I pass my medical I will be a special all I did was got written permission from my matron/trust . I dont see where the conflict arrises as im trained in medical situation which should help and if theres ever an a natioal emergency i would have to go to into the hospital as thats my payed job.

I work for the NHS and hopefully if I pass my medical I will be a special all I did was got written permission from my matron/trust . I dont see where the conflict arrises as im trained in medical situation which should help and if theres ever an a natioal emergency i would have to go to into the hospital as thats my payed job.

I'm a care assistant.(NHS) I sent a letter from the agency i work for with my application. Didn't hear anything about it after that. And i'm now almost halfway through my training.

I work for the NHS and had no problems being allowed to be a Special, just got my line Manager to agree to it. Like Roxy says if ever a major incident was declared where I work I would have to go there as its my paid job (and forms part of my Professional Code of Conduct).

When I applied the only thing my employer was interested in and worried about was the working time directive.

Conflict of interests apparently. I was in the Navy and was told i couldn't join.

Under the NDA (Naval Discipline Act) your rank gives you certain responsibilities, some of which could be read across to those of a constable (albeit very loosely) so i guess this is where the conflict of interests arises from.

the old fashioned view is that in a time of emergency, a sailor is required elsewhere ie, on a ship, if we have any left of course,,,,,,, (same for fire and used to be nurses too)

I suppose a soldier isnt much use down Union Street when they should be in Basra either,,,,,

For a quick query, has anyone got the offical home office guidelines on this? Or can link me, as there is a special at my nick who has been told he's going to have to resign because hes becoming a prison officer.

Paid Membership Required

There are 224 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.