Faledon

Special Constable Final Interview

Hey,

I've been reading through this website extensively since I discovered it a bit over a week ago. I find it absolutely fascinating, especially the stories about peoples first shifts as a special constable!

Over the last half a year I have progressed through the process myself and will be attending the final interview on the 29th of this month. Between working full time and helping to look after our one year old son with my partner I've been cramming in preparation whenever possible.

I feel that I'm pretty prepared in regards to the competencies and my real life examples of when I've demonstrated them. I have multiple examples ready for each. I have also spent some time researching the specific force I'm applying for so that I understand their overall goals and objectives and current campaigns they are running. I have also done a bit of research into the actual geographic area of the county and how this can affect policing methods.

I've tried my best to structure all answers to the potential competency questions using the recommended S.T.A.R format. 

I think I'm also happy with how to conduct my self in the interview to show my enthusiasm for the role.

I also have my suit ready and shoes shinned. 

All I'm wondering is if there are any more tips or anything I've missed. Most of all I'm excited more than nervous just like I have been with every stage thus far. I finally feel I've found the right direction in terms of a career that I want to do and can be passionate about. I've craved job satisfaction all my working life which I can honestly say I don't believe I've ever experienced, but will do with this role.

I have 5 more days to revise so I'll get back to it and not spend too much time on here! 

No matter the outcome I'll update this post sometime into next month I'm sure.

Best of luck to any others reading this who are currently working through the application for the role of special constable or any others!

(Thanks in advance for listening to me waffle on)

Hey @Faledon, you seem to be very well prepared! That's the key to passing assessment for the specials really. I'm sure you'll be fine mate. Using the STAR format is a good idea for interviews :) 

The key to doing the requisite recruit training whilst working full-time is time management. I had a Monday to Friday job when I did my MET specials training and essentially had hardly any weekends/time off for 12 weeks. I loved it though and I would recommend being a special to anyone. It has made me more confident and assertive and I've met some cool colleagues (one of my close friends is a special in the same borough as me). 

15 hours ago, kcl16 said:

Hey @Faledon, you seem to be very well prepared! That's the key to passing assessment for the specials really. I'm sure you'll be fine mate. Using the STAR format is a good idea for interviews :) 

The key to doing the requisite recruit training whilst working full-time is time management. I had a Monday to Friday job when I did my MET specials training and essentially had hardly any weekends/time off for 12 weeks. I loved it though and I would recommend being a special to anyone. It has made me more confident and assertive and I've met some cool colleagues (one of my close friends is a special in the same borough as me). 

Thanks I'm really excited, right now I'm sat in a coffee shop working on my competency based answers! My partner is awesome and understanding so was the one that actually suggested I get myself out of the house to concentrate so that we don't distract each other. She's been supportive and helpful with the whole thing as my ultimate end goal would be to transition into a full time paid role in the future is everything goes well. 

We've already had the chat about the extra time I'd be committing each month but again she's being very understanding and supportive.

That's awesome that you have a close friend who's a special in the same borough as yourself, bet it helps at times to be able to share stories.

I think wanting to join the police has always been an inherent urge inside me as I've always had an interest and my dad served just shy of 30 years with North Yorkshire Police. I think the main thing that persuaded me recently is also a close friend who was a special and is now going through his training as a regular police constable.  

So to follow up as I said I would, I attended my special constable final interview yesterday evening. I had a bit of a build up of nerves yesterday as it got closer and closer to setting off to the interview location. I was starting to irrationally doubt some of the preparation I'd done and was convinced there was more I should know. I'm happy to say once I got stuck into the first question I felt relaxed and comfortable. After a few more questions I felt it was going so well that I found myself actually looking forward to and anticipating the next questions. I left the interview extremely pleased with my performance, again, this is from my point of view. What is much more important is how it went from their perspective. Regardless of the outcome I won't feel any regret in relation to the effort and time I'd but in beforehand as I did my absolute best. I was told I could expect to hear back sometime next week if everything goes to plan. I'm feeling generally positive while trying to manage my expectations in case I don't receive the news I want. I'm glad to have got this far and am very proud of what I have already achieved. It is nice to have got this step over and done with though haha!

I will provide another update, hopefully next week as to the outcome. 

• Like 1

I received fantastic news less than a couple of days after completing the interview. Received an email saying that I had been successful in the interview and more details would follow shortly. I'm now very pleased to say that I have a date this month for my full medical and a date next month for the fitness test. I have already booked and gone for an eye test (the first ever in my life!) with the results being spot on. Now I just need to carry on getting myself out on an evening for runs and nook an appointment with my GP to sign the medical questionnaire. I'm feeling pretty confident about these last stages and am incredibly eager to get stuck into the training. I feel that the most challenging hurdle is going to be getting the company I work for to agree to the ESP- Employer Supported Policing. I'll be looking to convince them to let me have 8 hours a month off paid to carry out some of the voluntary role. I've started compiling a case together with all the reasons and benefits as to why it's a good idea, I also have the support of the marketing team. If other people eventually start replying to this thread I have a question, are any of you in an agreement with your employers in relation to the ESP scheme?   

On 2/5/2018 at 06:09, Faledon said:

I received fantastic news less than a couple of days after completing the interview. Received an email saying that I had been successful in the interview and more details would follow shortly. I'm now very pleased to say that I have a date this month for my full medical and a date next month for the fitness test. I have already booked and gone for an eye test (the first ever in my life!) with the results being spot on. Now I just need to carry on getting myself out on an evening for runs and nook an appointment with my GP to sign the medical questionnaire. I'm feeling pretty confident about these last stages and am incredibly eager to get stuck into the training. I feel that the most challenging hurdle is going to be getting the company I work for to agree to the ESP- Employer Supported Policing. I'll be looking to convince them to let me have 8 hours a month off paid to carry out some of the voluntary role. I've started compiling a case together with all the reasons and benefits as to why it's a good idea, I also have the support of the marketing team. If other people eventually start replying to this thread I have a question, are any of you in an agreement with your employers in relation to the ESP scheme?   

I too was a Special in the Met from March 2016 until August 2017 when I resigned.

I am now a PC in the Met and having my station induction tomorrow after I collect my warrant card, my departure from my training RLC base was long overdue, I should have started coached patrol/street duties back at the end of November, but for reasons I won't go into I have just finished my last session of OST today and will be having my first shift on borough on Friday, with tomorrow being the day I drive to Hendon to collect my warrant card and then have my induction at my station.

I used to work at Tesco, whilst I was a special (in training anyway), supposedly they allowed their employees to take a certain amount of time off each year to complete shifts, however at the store I was located at, they were less than supportive, my immediate manager was very supportive, the senior managers less so and just saw it as another problem.... one less person they could rely on.

Having been through the recruitment and training process twice, I can honestly say the training for the regulars was very good (13 week foundation course), the specials training however I found to be mediocre at best, things we should have been taught either missed out, or pushed right back to the last minute on the very last day.

Some topics we weren't even taught properly... I left after the 4 week intensive course feeling not ready to go out on Borough, I still feel that way now after 13 weeks of training as a regular officer!

I can only hope your specials training goes well, which brings me onto the question - which force is this for? I'm guessing SYP/NYP?