PC Will

Declaration to force?

So yesterday I was en-route to a petrol station late at night and accidentally drove past the turning for it, I decided to turn up the next road and turn around, as I drove up the road I saw a marked police vehicle at the end of the road which appeared to be a cul-de-sac/dead end, so decided to turn around in the entrance to another side road that branched off the road I was on. Obviously the PC's in the vehicle saw me coming towards them sat in their marked police vehicle and then suddenly  turn and go the other way, as I expected they decided to follow me and stopped me for a quick chat.

Before they said anything I jumped out and said "I know how it looks" as I was thinking the exact same, in that it looks dodgy to them, they ran a PNC on my vehicle which came back fine, the other PC took my name address and DOB but I don't think he ran a PNC check on my name as he was with me the whole time talking to me.

I'm currently a PC in the Met in training, it was a satisfactory stop and they were happy with my explanation (missed the turning because not concentrating on the route I was taking, decided to turn around in a side road which happened to be a little way down from where a marked police vehicle was parked, which to them looked a bit suspicious).

My question is this - do I need to declare this to anyone at work, my line manager or the vetting unit perhaps? 

I recall vetting telling us we need to declare anything which involves us and any police force, or government agency in any manner but not sure that this needs to be declared given it was a routine satisfactory stop.

Edited by PC Will

I would say if in doubt declare. Talking to your supervisor will take two minutes of your time and it's always best to be overly honest in these situations. 

1 hour ago, kcl16 said:

I would say if in doubt declare. Talking to your supervisor will take two minutes of your time and it's always best to be overly honest in these situations. 

Declared it via email, just sent it to my lead trainer and line manager.

On 26/10/2017 at 12:48, PC Will said:

So yesterday I was en-route to a petrol station late at night and accidentally drove past the turning for it, I decided to turn up the next road and turn around, as I drove up the road I saw a marked police vehicle at the end of the road which appeared to be a cul-de-sac/dead end, so decided to turn around in the entrance to another side road that branched off the road I was on. Obviously the PC's in the vehicle saw me coming towards them sat in their marked police vehicle and then suddenly  turn and go the other way, as I expected they decided to follow me and stopped me for a quick chat.

Before they said anything I jumped out and said "I know how it looks" as I was thinking the exact same, in that it looks dodgy to them, they ran a PNC on my vehicle which came back fine, the other PC took my name address and DOB but I don't think he ran a PNC check on my name as he was with me the whole time talking to me.

I'm currently a PC in the Met in training, it was a satisfactory stop and they were happy with my explanation (missed the turning because not concentrating on the route I was taking, decided to turn around in a side road which happened to be a little way down from where a marked police vehicle was parked, which to them looked a bit suspicious).

My question is this - do I need to declare this to anyone at work, my line manager or the vetting unit perhaps? 

I recall vetting telling us we need to declare anything which involves us and any police force, or government agency in any manner but not sure that this needs to be declared given it was a routine satisfactory stop.

What they mean is any process/arrest/PND etc, a general stop is not expected to be reported