Blakey

Experiences at Hendon

It's been a while since someone has made a new post so I'm going to start something new.

How did people find training at hendon,  they also had  Richmond and Bethnal Green as a training centre that was in 2014 how much is it changed in the past couple of years ?

When I done my 4 week course at Hendon I personally didn't like the old way how officers were doing things. I also believe that 4 weeks is too little to learn legislation and you're going out there as of as a full warranted police officer..

how was yours ?

• Like 1

I did the weekend course. In the current format that is 20 days over 12 weekends. I learnt a lot but as you say felt undertrained.

The ELS  and OST was good but the classroom based elements of the course were often pretty bad. I think this was to do with the fact that many members of police staff couldn't be bothered on a weekend... 

If I had been between jobs at the time I would have done the four week intensive course for sure. 

Started my training 18th October 2015, posted to Bethnal Green on the 24 Sundays course. Half way through the course, Bethnal Green shut down as a training centre so we had to transfer to Richmond. All in all, Bethnal Green was a lovely centre with excellent trainers, wish I could say the same about Richmond but the whole of our class hated it. We joined another class who were two weeks behind so we had to do everything with them again.

From the sounds of it though, the training hasn't improved in anyway and the MSC is suffering big time for numbers.  (I wonder why?)

Fingers crossed for the future eh. 

Ironically I still say the training I had as an MSC on the old course was better than what I received as a PC....

@Disguised I think there are a variety of reasons for MSC numbers being low at the moment. Motivated people will always put up with cr*p training if they want to do a role: 

1. It's now pretty dangerous to be in uniform on the streets of London.

2. There is now more of a crack down on people who have attested and got their warrant card plus oyster but don't turn up enough/at all (a good thing).

3. Less people are wanting to join the Met in general (even as full time PCs). They seem to always be advertising for recruitment. As many people use the MSC as a way in to the Met due to the London residency requirement this has a corresponding effect on MSC numbers.

4. The economy is better than it was in 2008-2013. See number 3. 

Mostly did my training in Richmond. Overall it was ok but we had to persuade them to teach us about using the radios. Worrying really! As colleagues above have mentioned, there is a big problem with people not doing their hours, and even in terms of recruitment and retention. 

On 10/9/2017 at 10:16, Frog91 said:

Mostly did my training in Richmond. Overall it was ok but we had to persuade them to teach us about using the radios. Worrying really! As colleagues above have mentioned, there is a big problem with people not doing their hours, and even in terms of recruitment and retention. 

Brings back memories!

I'm ex-MSC (trained March-April 2016 at Sovereign Gate in Richmond, attested June 2016 and resigned August 28th 2017) and now a PC in training, I'm based at Marlowe House in Sidcup for my PC training and so far have found the course to be superior in almost every manner.

The staff seem more lenient, understanding that the student officers are only as reliable as the public transport, or the road network, when I was MSC there were several people who were held up due to public transport delays who got a bollocking, despite it not being their fault and having left plenty of time.

When I did MSC training I often found we'd turn up to class for either 0700 or 1400 hours and not have a staff member to train us for almost an hour in almost all cases, so the first hour was just wasted sat around not learning anything.

When we had our EAB lesson there was a shortage of staff on that particular day, so we were handed EAB's by a covering staff member and told to complete them and that she'd be "back in 2 hours" to collect them and mark them, bearing in mind this was an assessed subject.

We had our EAB lesson in PC training last week, and the training in comparison was worlds apart, we were actually shown how to complete one properly and given a handout, as well as given a scenario to write out a practise one, which took nearly 4 hours to complete.

MSC training was pretty shambolic, radios were supposed to be done on the second to last week, but got pushed back to the very final day and we were literally given a radio and told "speak into it and pass it around" for 10 minutes and that was it. It's no surprise when you go to Borough other PC's and MetCC staff have the perception of specials being **** with radios, not knowing correct procedure or terminology etc.

By contrast during our PC course we started using the radios on about week 4 or 5, and we've been practicing with them on numerous occasions, most times we do roleplay scenarios (of which we do a lot of) we use them, staff are continually going on about critical things such as showing TOA or "on scene" and circulating suspect descriptions, etc, all good practise and i'm glad we're doing it, just a shame it wasn't the same during the MSC course.

Also we get lockers at Sidcup, so no need to keep lugging kit back and forth like we did for the MSC training, not sure if this is the policy or if it's just dependent on how many lockers there are and how many students there are on all the intakes at a particular RLC.

We've passed ELS, had OST session 1, passed KRE 1 and we have assessed Stop and Search, assessed arrest, KRE 2 and assessed MG11's plus EAB's soon also, Monday is week 8 of 13.

I've found that i'm on a SNT at ZD, as this shows on HR self service, I'm hoping this is just for our initial 5 weeks of street duties, and not ongoing after that as I had seriously hoped for response, and have been told time and time again that ZD were seriously depleted on ERT officer numbers (around 60 officers down allegedly).

We've also been told we will all get driving (I'm going to say it's a safe bet to assume this is basic driving only) within 4 weeks of coming to borough.

we did not even do radio training, they showed us how to turn it on and off.

the good thing they done was combine day 1 and 2 for specials, i had to wait 7 months for a day 2..

so they called KRE's now ?

2 hours ago, Blakey said:

the good thing they done was combine day 1 and 2 for specials, i had to wait 7 months for a day 2..

so they called KRE's now ?

Day 1 MSC for me was also combined (October 2015) for the regs (Feb 2017) it was separate, with my day 2 being in April.

Yes, they are now known as KRE's, "Knowledge Retention Exams".

16 hours ago, Blakey said:

Isn't there an NCALT for that? :w00t:

Just now, Techie1 said:

Isn't there an NCALT for that? :w00t:

:p Oh very good.

Indeed there is, a rather tedious one at that.

The pain of having to redo all the NCALTS I did as MSC again is deplorable. 

On 14/10/2017 at 21:50, PC Will said:

Brings back memories!

I'm ex-MSC (trained March-April 2016 at Sovereign Gate in Richmond, attested June 2016 and resigned August 28th 2017) and now a PC in training, I'm based at Marlowe House in Sidcup for my PC training and so far have found the course to be superior in almost every manner.

The staff seem more lenient, understanding that the student officers are only as reliable as the public transport, or the road network, when I was MSC there were several people who were held up due to public transport delays who got a bollocking, despite it not being their fault and having left plenty of time.

When I did MSC training I often found we'd turn up to class for either 0700 or 1400 hours and not have a staff member to train us for almost an hour in almost all cases, so the first hour was just wasted sat around not learning anything.

When we had our EAB lesson there was a shortage of staff on that particular day, so we were handed EAB's by a covering staff member and told to complete them and that she'd be "back in 2 hours" to collect them and mark them, bearing in mind this was an assessed subject.

We had our EAB lesson in PC training last week, and the training in comparison was worlds apart, we were actually shown how to complete one properly and given a handout, as well as given a scenario to write out a practise one, which took nearly 4 hours to complete.

MSC training was pretty shambolic, radios were supposed to be done on the second to last week, but got pushed back to the very final day and we were literally given a radio and told "speak into it and pass it around" for 10 minutes and that was it. It's no surprise when you go to Borough other PC's and MetCC staff have the perception of specials being **** with radios, not knowing correct procedure or terminology etc.

By contrast during our PC course we started using the radios on about week 4 or 5, and we've been practicing with them on numerous occasions, most times we do roleplay scenarios (of which we do a lot of) we use them, staff are continually going on about critical things such as showing TOA or "on scene" and circulating suspect descriptions, etc, all good practise and i'm glad we're doing it, just a shame it wasn't the same during the MSC course.

Also we get lockers at Sidcup, so no need to keep lugging kit back and forth like we did for the MSC training, not sure if this is the policy or if it's just dependent on how many lockers there are and how many students there are on all the intakes at a particular RLC.

We've passed ELS, had OST session 1, passed KRE 1 and we have assessed Stop and Search, assessed arrest, KRE 2 and assessed MG11's plus EAB's soon also, Monday is week 8 of 13.

I've found that i'm on a SNT at ZD, as this shows on HR self service, I'm hoping this is just for our initial 5 weeks of street duties, and not ongoing after that as I had seriously hoped for response, and have been told time and time again that ZD were seriously depleted on ERT officer numbers (around 60 officers down allegedly).

We've also been told we will all get driving (I'm going to say it's a safe bet to assume this is basic driving only) within 4 weeks of coming to borough.

Response team is completely different from LPT, I would argue you learn the same amount of skills, they are just different.

You will not get your driving after 4 weeks.