Sign in to follow this  
Jre

Trafford Specials

Hi everyone,

Does anybody currently work on the Trafford division as a Special? Particularly interested in working within the Sale or Altrincham areas and wondered what people's experiences were like.

Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, Jre said:

Do you work on the M?

I do not sorry, but I know a few officers on the 'M' and they are good bunch.

Although when it comes to experience, every area outside of the City of Manchester division are fairly similar.

Thanks Popeye, I have considered the City of Manchester but I'm unsure. Working within Trafford would allow me to get to know my own community better - although on the flip side some officers say that it best not to work too closely to home. 

Do you know roughly how many SCs work on the M?

10 hours ago, Jre said:

Thanks Popeye, I have considered the City of Manchester but I'm unsure. Working within Trafford would allow me to get to know my own community better - although on the flip side some officers say that it best not to work too closely to home. 

Do you know roughly how many SCs work on the M?

Personally I'd say not to work the city centre, if I was you I'd choose Trafford.

Also if you live in Trafford and Police as a Special in Trafford for (I think it's) more than 2 years you get something like 50% knocked off your council tax.

I Police the area I live in and have neither had any issues. Just ask for the other side of the division from what you live on. i.e. I live on the north of my division so I only work the south.

Thanks for the advice Popeye, much appreciated. 

Do SC's ever work where they live, I.e. Live on the north, also police on the north?... or is this prohibited? 

The council tax discount sounds great. I had heard rumours about some form of discount but wasn't sure on how much / when it applies. 

12 hours ago, Jre said:

Thanks for the advice Popeye, much appreciated. 

Do SC's ever work where they live, I.e. Live on the north, also police on the north?... or is this prohibited? 

The council tax discount sounds great. I had heard rumours about some form of discount but wasn't sure on how much / when it applies. 

I'm not 100% on the details so you'd probably have to talk to Trafford council about it.

People do work their area where they live yes, this is nothing that prohibits you from doing it. It all depends on you really. I don't Police the area I live because I don't live in the nicest of areas so I don't want to run into anyone I have dealings with on duty.

Thanks Popeye, will do! It's good to know anyway.

I'll give some serious thought to the issue of where to work - definitely thinking the M but as I live on the M, I may opt for the other side. Thanks again for your advice. 

On 5/1/2017 at 19:24, Jre said:

Hi everyone,

Does anybody currently work on the Trafford division as a Special? Particularly interested in working within the Sale or Altrincham areas and wondered what people's experiences were like.

Thanks in advance. 

Jre - I'm a bit late to the post but I am an M div Special and wondered if you were: a. still going through the process, and; b. still considering Trafford?

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 12:31, GraphicalFusion said:

Jre - I'm a bit late to the post but I am an M div Special and wondered if you were: a. still going through the process, and; b. still considering Trafford?

Hi GraphicalFusion - sorry about my late reply also.

I was strongly considering the M but I've been told that I'm now allocated to Wigan (K) and that there is nothing that can be done to change this. Slightly confused as Wigan was never one of my choices and it's quite inconvenient for me. 

From everybody that I have chatted to, it seems that 90% of people get their first choice, and the remainder get at least their second or third choices.

I did think that I would have had more say over where I work being a volunteer? 

15 minutes ago, Jre said:

I was strongly considering the M but I've been told that I'm now allocated to Wigan (K) and that there is nothing that can be done to change this. Slightly confused as Wigan was never one of my choices and it's quite inconvenient for me. 

From everybody that I have chatted to, it seems that 90% of people get their first choice, and the remainder get at least their second or third choices.

That's very unusual. Also I'd confirm that as Wigan is L division and the K division is Bolton.

What were your first, second and third choices?

18 hours ago, Owen said:

That's very unusual. Also I'd confirm that as Wigan is L division and the K division is Bolton.

What were your first, second and third choices?

Oh, that's even more bizarre! Re-read the e-mail and it definitely says K - Wigan. Hadn't even noticed the mistake. 

I also emailed to ask about changing this allocation (quoting K - Wigan) and was told that the decision cannot be changed. Very odd.. I've been told to speak to my trainer about it during training to see if anything can be done.  Trafford, Stockport and Manchester Centre (M, J and A) were my choices. 

I'll have to see what's said during training but it doesn't sound hopeful. Maybe they've recently changed the allocations so that allocation is based on demand and not on personal preference? 

1 hour ago, Jre said:

Oh, that's even more bizarre! Re-read the e-mail and it definitely says K - Wigan. Hadn't even noticed the mistake. 

I also emailed to ask about changing this allocation (quoting K - Wigan) and was told that the decision cannot be changed. Very odd.. I've been told to speak to my trainer about it during training to see if anything can be done.  Trafford, Stockport and Manchester Centre (M, J and A) were my choices. 

I'll have to see what's said during training but it doesn't sound hopeful. Maybe they've recently changed the allocations so that allocation is based on demand and not on personal preference? 

It always has been based on demand but they generally place you in at least one of your choices.

Speak to the S/Insp who looks after training, he will most likely be the best person to help you.

On 13/09/2017 at 14:51, Jre said:

Jre have you started training yet?

If not, let me know when I will see if there is anything I can do. 

But if my detective skills are still on point I have a feeling you’ve already started and this has now been sorted 😉

Paid Membership Required

There are 1 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.
Sign in to follow this