Sign in to follow this  
Techie1

Telegraph: Police officer goes viral after sending selfie to group chat while helping drunk young man get home

17 hours ago, Techie1 said:

Students at Cardiff University had their group chat interrupted by a police officer as he sent a selfie using Facebook Messenger

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/16/police-officer-goes-viral-sending-selfie-group-chat-helping/

its a nice story, but isn't there a breach of ripa there , acessing info on his phone with out the requisite Authorisation ? Not to mention the dpa

Edited by george b

23 hours ago, george b said:

its a nice story, but isn't there a breach of ripa there , acessing info on his phone with out the requisite Authorisation ? Not to mention the dpa

No its fine.

On 17/03/2017 at 13:48, george b said:

What data has the officer accessed or what surveillance has he conducted?  This is similar to using a phone of a person injured in an RTC to ascertain their ID or inform their relatives.  This Officer has at worst ensured his friends are not concerned for his welfare. 

Good work, Policing lacks the human touch for to often. 

7 hours ago, funkywingnut said:

What data has the officer accessed or what surveillance has he conducted?  This is similar to using a phone of a person injured in an RTC to ascertain their ID or inform their relatives.  This Officer has at worst ensured his friends are not concerned for his welfare. 

Good work, Policing lacks the human touch for to often. 

he has accessed his twitter ( or what ever) and released his name most of his addressed and the fact he is drunk to the whole world.

there os nothing wrong with accessing data, provided you have the correct aurthority, there is everything wrong with releasing his data.

Did the officer release that info to the wider public, or was it in fact a friend of the drunk person who released it to the media?

I'd guess the latter. 

At least the guy got home safe. 

1 hour ago, george b said:

he has accessed his twitter ( or what ever) and released his name most of his addressed and the fact he is drunk to the whole world.

there os nothing wrong with accessing data, provided you have the correct aurthority, there is everything wrong with releasing his data.

The article says that the officer needed to get his address info, not that he had it nor released it. He contacted a group via FB messenger. The subsequent posting to Twitter was done by one of the drunk guy's mates.

13 minutes ago, Indiana Jones said:

The article says that the officer needed to get his address info, not that he had it nor released it. He contacted a group via FB messenger. The subsequent posting to Twitter was done by one of the drunk guy's

he released the info to face book, that data he had collected from the guy,his name, the road he lived on and the fact he was drunk. the release of which is a breach of the dpa Accessing his Facebook account is a breach of ripa

Edited by george b

1 hour ago, george b said:

he released the info to face book, that data he had collected from the guy,his name, the road he lived on and the fact he was drunk. the release of which is a breach of the dpa Accessing his Facebook account is a breach of ripa

Facebook MESSENGER. Not the same as Facebook-Facebook.

2 hours ago, Indiana Jones said:

Facebook MESSENGER. Not the same as Facebook-Facebook.

did he pass data on to a third party?,

yes, breach of dpa

He didn't release the data to anyone though.   He accessed the guy's phone, and used it to work out where the guy lived.  He didn't release it to the public, one of the guy's friends did.  If he's agreed with the officer who took him home to allow access to the handset then there are no issues there either are there?

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

He didn't release the data to anyone though.   He accessed the guy's phone, and used it to work out where the guy lived.  He didn't release it to the public, one of the guy's friends did.  If he's agreed with the officer who took him home to allow access to the handset then there are no issues there either are there?

??the PC released the info to his friends, they ARE the public. That they further distributed the data and only makes the original release worse. As he was so drunk he didn't know where he lived, it seems unlikely he could give informed consent to the release of his data? Consent doesn't allow you to search the phone for contacts etc, just like consent doesn't allow you to search him

Edited by george b

Lets see if his PSD have anything to say.  I've been so drunk I can't walk properly, but I was with it enough to explain to the officer I was speaking to where I lived.

As far as DPA is concerned it isn't a breach if you have the agreement of the data subject to use that information in a way agreed between the data subject and the data user.  That can be in writing or verbal.  So as long as he asked and got a clear agreement there is no issue.

I'm looking at RIPA, and trying to work out which bit (if any) covers it as there was nothing covert, and no delving in to records.

I was curious to see if it fell under Computer Misuse Act, but again as long as the officer got agreement from the guy who owned the phone it doesn't apply. 

There are 13 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this