Sapor62

Quick and Easy Food

So, you've just got in from work whether that be Policing or full time work, you're part of the population unlucky enough to work until the early hours and you're starving, what do you eat?

I find I'm eating ridiculous amounts of junk food which is A) Unhealthy and B) Quite expensive when you add it all up.

I'm not an amazing cook but I know my way well enough to cook some meals, any advice on some fairly decent quick meals to cook as I honestly have 0 motivation to slave over a stove for an hour after a night shift!

Thanks ;)

Edited by Sapor62
Spelling mistake.

Just to add - I did consider making food and freezing it for the week, however, my freezer is broken :( 

I work 45 hours a week, volunteer for a mental health crisis line in the evenings and somewhere in there am finding time to train for a marathon. Time is short and nutrition important with the marathon just 11 weeks away...!

My usual strategy is to spend a couple of hours cooking (usually on a Sunday as that's my quietest day), portion, label and freeze. I do this each week, 2 or 3 dishes a week, 6-8 portions and I've got quite a selection very quickly. But if you don't currently have a freezer that's not much use! 

My slow cooker is a life saver. Chuck it in in the morning, it's cooked and ready to eat when I get in. The remainder (I'm the only veggie in the house!) then gets portioned and frozen. 

Things like frozen veg and frozen fruit are great. Zap the veg in the microwave for 2 minutes and it's done. Frozen fruit will defrost very quickly when stirred into hot porridge. 

Then there's the convenience stuff. Microwave rice and now microwave pasta are great. Even I can manage to wait 2 minutes for that to cook without gnawing my own arm off. 

In short, you need a freezer!

I always go for cous cous and chicken as a quick and easy meal. I do find that if you let yourself get very hungry then it's easy to start binging on junk food. 

During the week I usually try to prepare my meals for work which will generally consist of Chicken / Sweet Potato / Veg. 

As @MaggotPig said frozen veg is always a winner because it doesn't go off and it's easy to cook. 

Bulk cook and freeze. So I guess in essence what I think you need is a freezer...

other than that, pasta, mince and some chopped onions/mushrooms/peppers etc generally tend to be quick enough.

if not, uncle bens rice with something else like sausages or similar, maybe a while pre cooked chicken from the meat counter at your local supermarket

Was watching BBC "Trust me I'm a doctor" last night. There was advice on keeping healthy when doing shift work. One thing that caught my attention was a suggestion that eating between midnight and 6:30am was a bad thing. Something to do with your various body clocks. If you must, then avoid fatty, sugary foods, i.e. Avoid the things you crave on a night shift!

link to advice http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4DZ3Qrnxq065Hwbk5r3dSVJ/how-can-i-stay-healthy-when-i-work-shifts

On the cooking business, I've started considering that time "slaving over the cooker" as time to switch off from work. My wife used to make and freeze me meals I could quickly microwave after a shift, but I found I started to need that "slow" time whilst cooking to decompress from work. Now she just puts a few things in the fridge for me to cook from scratch; a chicken breast, some veg, perhaps a sauce, mixed with rice, pasta or cous cous, I end up with time to switch off, healthy food and a better bank balance. Cooking time is only 15 minutes on average, but it now marks, for me, the divide between work and home.

Edited by IT Wizard
  • Like 1

Bought a new freezer for £40 (BARGAIN!), ended up just making a curry and freezing about 15 portions, I feel for whoever has to share a vehicle with me, Curry isn't the easiest on my stomach!

• Like 2

I've never known curry to be easy on anyones stomach! but sounds like cooking on mass is your forte!

It's simple and I'm serious with this.

1. Microwave a bowl of baked beans for 90 secs, make sure you put a lid on it.

2. Crack 2 eggs in a pint glass, whisk them up and microwave for 2 mins.

Serve on a plate and garnish with ketchup, eat with a fork.

So that's: 25g protein, plenty of fibre and at least one of your 5 a day all ready in less than 5 minutes. Low fat and low GI. Also works well for hot refs when on duty.

Above all you have little washing up especially if you have a dishwasher.

Just now, Philbo said:

It's simple and I'm serious with this.

1. Microwave a bowl of baked beans for 90 secs, make sure you put a lid on it.

2. Crack 2 eggs in a pint glass, whisk them up and microwave for 2 mins.

Serve on a plate and garnish with ketchup, eat with a fork.

So that's: 25g protein, plenty of fibre and at least one of your 5 a day all ready in less than 5 minutes. Low fat and low GI. Also works well for hot refs when on duty.

Above all you have little washing up especially if you have a dishwasher.

Now that would make me smell in the car!!

Budget cuts mean I was forced to hand in my force issue fabreeze and was instead ordered to go out and pick "Nice smelling, fresh flowers, to be place in the IRV"