AM505

Under 18's in regards to Tobacco products and alcohol - powers when off duty?

I know that a constable or PCSO can confiscate tobacco products from a young person aged under 16 whilst in uniform, but does the same duty/power apply when not in uniform/off duty?

Also, I read Surrey Police's website on this topic and it said that an officer can confiscate alcohol from an Under 18 even when they are off-duty, is this also correct?

Thanks in advance!

AM505

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.
  • Like 1

I would suggest speaking to the licensing team if you know where it was sold.

Maybe call 101 if there are ASB issues, but if quiet, cops really don't need to be taken to go and have a word.

Last thing to do is try and sieze it on your own. A bunch of drunken youths full of bravado, and one person, plain clothes, no PPE or backup saying "give me your booze, I'm an off duty cop" is a good way to get a kicking.

No thanks- when off duty only badge out for life or limb scenarios and even then run yourself through a ndm. Wheels can come off very quickly with no ppe or comms. Each to their own but that's my advice. Stick in an 5x5 and direct it to licensing

The Tesco next to where I work has a problem with kids and alcohol.  They even got a security guard because of it.  I've had threats because I refuse to buy for them, it's weird being in the receiving end of abuse from kids when you're 6'2" and 40 years old.  Last time they tried to box me in I just shoved them out of the way (and got threatened with the police by the kids for it), and that is pretty much all I'll do myself if off duty.  Just inform the shopkeeper and pass it on to licencing.  Even out trainer says as an SC you're better off being a professional witness, or passing on intel if you don't have backup. 

On 2/4/2017 at 6:51 PM, Traffic Rat said:

Why worry about such a minor issue off duty.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

I was just asking out of interest. 

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, AM505 said:

I know that a constable or PCSO can confiscate tobacco products from a young person aged under 16 whilst in uniform, but does the same duty/power apply when not in uniform/off duty?

Also, I read Surrey Police's website on this topic and it said that an officer can confiscate alcohol from an Under 18 even when they are off-duty, is this also correct?

Thanks in advance!

AM505

I note that nobody has answered your question

so

the power is given to a constable in or out of uniform and as the office of constable apples when off and on duty. There seems no reason why a constable couldn't so do on hos weekend off if he deemed it necessary, so as other have said. It may not be the wisest thing. Pcso ate only pcsos when on duty so no

its also worth noting that the power to seize tobacco products come from the children and young persons act 1933 , which has a)amended the age limit to 18 and b) only allows confiscation if the child is seen smoking not just in possession, a technicality that is sometimes forgotten

Edited by george b
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, george b said:

I note that nobody has answered your question

so

the power is given to a constable in or out of uniform and as the office of constable apples when off and on duty. There seems no reason why a constable couldn't so do on hos weekend off if he deemed it necessary, so as other have said. It may not be the wisest thing. Pcso ate only pcsos when on duty so no

its also worth noting that the power to seize tobacco products come from the children and young persons act 1933 , which has a)amended the age limit to 18 and b) only allows confiscation if the child is seen smoking not just in possession, a technicality that is sometimes forgotten

Thank you George for answering my question! 

• Like 1