Hello,

I am interested in a Enquiry Office Advisor role, with a south-west police force, and was wondering if anyone had any tips for the interview stage and the role itself. 

Also any general information would be helpful, such as, do they wear uniform, are there favourable ages for this role etc.

This would be my first police job, but not first uniformed role, and I have experience with customers in a bar role.

Thank you,

fbo194.

On 20/02/2017 at 00:39, Blakey said:

Thank you for the information. 

Hi fbo194

They're called Police Enquiry Assistants here in Lancs - PEAs for short. They man the front desk at police stations and deal with any member of the public and any issue imaginable the public can come to them with. They wear a uniform, of white shirts, blue epaulettes and combat trousers, boots. There is no favourable age, the police wont discriminate you for your age, its all about xp. I've known old and young PEAs.

As for the interview as with any police staff interview (I've done my fair share:sweat:) its all about your competences or personal qualities, whichever you want to call them.

It will be explained at the start of the interview but generally you will be asked questions which are (roughly) based around these personal qualities and marked on how good your example is.

The job advert should list these competences or personal qualities somewhere, they are decision making, leadership - openness to change & service delivery, professionalism, public service and working with others. They appear to be national qualities as a number of forces I have worked for all used them. Under each personal quality there should be a paragraph explaining each one in more detail.

You will be asked questions requiring you to give an example as an answer. These can be specific to the role, ie in this case, give me an example of when you have had to deal with an individual who was angry and upset, how did you calm the situation and what was the outcome. Or they can be general questions based on your personal qualities, ie give me an example of when you have contributed to a team with challenging team members to overcome a problem, how did you contribute and what was the outcome?

If you have xp with customers this will give you a good head start with examples of how you deal with people who aren't always amicable. Think of examples of how you have dealt with these people, how you make decisions and how you work as a team. Your examples don't need to be from your previous employment, it can be personal, ie if you play in a team sport.

It's impossible to guess what questions they are going to ask, sometimes they are pure curve balls which totally throw you, however I find if you have an example which roughly makes each personal quality it gives you a good ground base.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 27/02/2017 at 21:11, F0STER said:

Hi fbo194

They're called Police Enquiry Assistants here in Lancs - PEAs for short. They man the front desk at police stations and deal with any member of the public and any issue imaginable the public can come to them with. They wear a uniform, of white shirts, blue epaulettes and combat trousers, boots. There is no favourable age, the police wont discriminate you for your age, its all about xp. I've known old and young PEAs.

As for the interview as with any police staff interview (I've done my fair share:sweat:) its all about your competences or personal qualities, whichever you want to call them.

It will be explained at the start of the interview but generally you will be asked questions which are (roughly) based around these personal qualities and marked on how good your example is.

The job advert should list these competences or personal qualities somewhere, they are decision making, leadership - openness to change & service delivery, professionalism, public service and working with others. They appear to be national qualities as a number of forces I have worked for all used them. Under each personal quality there should be a paragraph explaining each one in more detail.

You will be asked questions requiring you to give an example as an answer. These can be specific to the role, ie in this case, give me an example of when you have had to deal with an individual who was angry and upset, how did you calm the situation and what was the outcome. Or they can be general questions based on your personal qualities, ie give me an example of when you have contributed to a team with challenging team members to overcome a problem, how did you contribute and what was the outcome?

If you have xp with customers this will give you a good head start with examples of how you deal with people who aren't always amicable. Think of examples of how you have dealt with these people, how you make decisions and how you work as a team. Your examples don't need to be from your previous employment, it can be personal, ie if you play in a team sport.

It's impossible to guess what questions they are going to ask, sometimes they are pure curve balls which totally throw you, however I find if you have an example which roughly makes each personal quality it gives you a good ground base.

Good luck!

Thanks for the thorough answer F0STER - however they have now closed the vacancy (no information) as they are suddenly closing the station! I'll keep this stuff in mind.