If it makes a difference this would be in the met police service. 

Just interested if its possible to get Professionalising Investigation Program (PIP) Level 1

How many interviews would you need to complete to achieve the above status?

Would reading off the aid memoir be enough to complete this?

I haven't really thought about it til now as the people i know that do the msc, just seem to tag along with team, spending the majority of the year attempting to get their "independent patrol status" done.

Could you get your PIP 1 whilst training for the independent patrol status? 

Any help with this would be truly great, thanks.

Not Met, but I have PIP1 (PIP2 is soon to be happening) and this does not entitle me to interview. I believe I need the PEACE training as a minimum plus some other bits.

I've interviewed in Lancs, but I think that is becasue I did a degree program and we got our PIP L1 and PEACE training through the course. 

2 hours ago, MrJ said:

Not Met, but I have PIP1 (PIP2 is soon to be happening) and this does not entitle me to interview. I believe I need the PEACE training as a minimum plus some other bits.

PIP1 covers interviews for volume crime doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Indiana Jones said:

PIP1 covers interviews for volume crime doesn't it?

My PIP1 slides won't open, but as far as I recall it only covered the process of how an interview works (documents, thought process, general how-to) but the course itself did not include any interview specific skills. Last I asked about doing voluntary attendance interviews and custody interviews as an Independent, I was told I would need PEACE training and actual scenario based interview training first. I'm sure mileage in other constabularies will vary.

Thanks for the replies. I will look into PEACE training as well and if this is all viable through msc process. 

Mr J, I assisted a DC as witness to an interview through cell wicket. I'm not peace, pip 1 trained or a warrant officer. My understanding was that there are two officers for an interview to prevent false allegations but as interviews are done via tape/DVD recording and covered by CCTV there are plenty of officers that go it alone.

Recommend asking others. Some times people in this job act more knowledgeable than they are. I will be asking else where so i'll let you know if im wrong.

3 hours ago, Bill8 said:

My understanding was that there are two officers for an interview to prevent false allegations but as interviews are done via tape/DVD recording and covered by CCTV there are plenty of officers that go it alone.

No, that's not the case. Plenty of interviews happen one on one. Not all of them are taped either.

3 hours ago, Indiana Jones said:

No, that's not the case. Plenty of interviews happen one on one. Not all of them are taped either.

Plenty do happen 1 on 1 but it's not recommended. 

Depends on the offence I guess. If you're interviewing for a sexual assault then two would be best practice. But for something simple under the volume crime umbrella eg criminal damage to Mr Jones' fence where you think the offender is likely to admit the offence, full disclosure and everything be dealt with as a quick admin task, no real need to drag another officer in to interview.

6 minutes ago, Indiana Jones said:

Depends on the offence I guess. If you're interviewing for a sexual assault then two would be best practice. But for something simple under the volume crime umbrella eg criminal damage to Mr Jones' fence where you think the offender is likely to admit the offence, full disclosure and everything be dealt with as a quick admin task, no real need to drag another officer in to interview.

Consult your Force tier 5 interview advisor and they will say different. 

Although it happens regularly, it is not best practice at all regardless of the offence.

When you review volume crime interviews you realise how poor a good proportion are because of lone interviewing and bad practice due to pressure to get the job done.  

5 hours ago, funkywingnut said:

Consult your Force tier 5 interview advisor and they will say different. 

Although it happens regularly, it is not best practice at all regardless of the offence.

When you review volume crime interviews you realise how poor a good proportion are because of lone interviewing and bad practice due to pressure to get the job done.  

Quite simply, you are wrong.

5 hours ago, Sierraoscar54 said:

Quite simply, you are wrong.

Because you say so or because you have some proof of this by way of policy or some other type of evidence?

We are talking best practice, not what is commonly done.

Edited by funkywingnut

As far as i'm aware, I recall being told during training we are NOT allowed to conduct, or "lead" interviews, however we may sit in on them.. and listen in.

Pretty sure this is the case, and yes, I'm a special in the Met too, going through the recruitment process for the regs.

I have conducted a number of interviews. Mainly for fairly simple jobs like shoplifting, but I have also done two for domestic assaults.

There are 3 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE