So our new SCO is now in post and no doubt trying to juggle his Police training to become a warranted officer with a plethora of HQ meetings including those next week .

I haven't met the boss yet but it would appear he sounds keen to deliver a meaty plan over the next few years and nobody can deny that opportunities for development have been increased by our regular Inspector .

For me it has illustrated that direct entry at senior level for SC is here. I would like to think the new SCO will have to obtain IPS so he obtains a real understanding of the process and front line policing but I doubt that he will ever get time for this with the role he occupies .

I am sure the head shed have done all they need to ensure that we have the right man for the job.

But what is everyone's thoughts SC direct entry ? 

Additionally I'm hopefully entering into a dual policing agreement with COLP . As part of this as I am a SSGT I will be required to sit the COLP Ospre type exam for SSGTs  , personally I think it's a great idea to have it for SSGT and all ranks above but what are your thoughts on it ? 

Would it be something you would like to see in Herts ?

I'm all for direct entry roles in both the regular and specials. What I'm not keen on is someone coming in and being out in charge of a whole unit, or section, or area of responsibility without actually learning and experiencing the fundamentals of policing first. 

I think a better way forward would be to either allow someone to "own" or "manage" a certain area of responsibility without just promoting them a number of ranks higher. Or if they are coming in to head the organisation, put them on a "fast track" scheme so they learn policing first of all with an expectation in a short/medium amount of time for them to take up the new role as head. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure about this. It's the equivalent of having a direct entry CC with no experience of policing.

Has this happened in any other force that you know of? 

Met him at event at HQ, very credible , great ideas ,full support of regular SLT and is in my opinion the most innovative and positive bloke to be in the hot seat in some time.