RYAN1234

Pocket Notebook Queries

I've recently been issued my PNB (pocket notebook) by my force and I wanted to know the rules around hard backing it (protective case) or a cover for it as I can imagine a few rainy days and being in my kit bag it will get damaged as it's pretty flimsy. Does anybody have any additional info around this?

R

• Like 1

Are you not issued a holder?

Ours come with a plastic PVC cover you slip over the outside and a leather flap/holder for it. It's allowed, just don't attach anything to the book itself (as the cover is needed for files etc) - if you can get a holder if you don't have one, they're only cheap - Police Mutual used to give them away for free on their site!

As MindTheGap says, I was issued with a plastic PVC cover which goes over the front and back and the book just slips inside without anything needing to be attached. Has saved it from getting wet on a few occasions!

I would try and get yourself a leather cover or similar if you weren't issued with one. I know my force stopped issuing them for a while but soon decided it was a mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first read this I was as thinking PNB as in a smartphone - electronic pocket notebook! Was surprised no case was given with it. 

Clearly I'm thinking too far into the future :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Definitely not that advanced yet! But to be fair with mobile data terminals becoming increasingly popular, I can't see why it wouldn't happen

Never had a holder but I wrap the outside in sellotape so it has the appearance that it's been laminated. Never fell apart or let me down yet :)

Good ol' selleotape on a role....!

If you aren't issued one, ask at your resources department or whatever you guys call it. They often have lots of good freebies....

I've noticed that all the regs seem to have a nice pocketbook holder, seemingly a nice sturdy strong backed holder for their PNB, we got issued ours in the specials during training but just got given the red book, I ended up buying a nice PVC holder off Patrolstore for mine, just the typical fold over type, nothing expensively fancy.

Definitely try and do something!  I've had mine about 9 weeks (and only through training) - putting it in and out of my bag has taken the cover off :(

1 hour ago, Rijack said:

Definitely try and do something!  I've had mine about 9 weeks (and only through training) - putting it in and out of my bag has taken the cover off :(

Same, i'm in the Met so ours have a red cover, that's come off completely so there's the front and back cover and the actual notepad pages as two separate things now, the staple came loose.

Odd, we got issued a leather PNC cover.  My PNB is still slightly dogged up, and has blood on the pages though. 

On 14/10/2017 at 21:42, Beaker said:

Odd, we got issued a leather PNC cover.  My PNB is still slightly dogged up, and has blood on the pages though. 

No doubt from a loving 'customer' you dealt with? :p

4 hours ago, PC Will said:

No doubt from a loving 'customer' you dealt with? :p

All my own "work" there.  He was unhappy with the quality of the free taxi ride afterwards.

• Haha 1