Sign in to follow this  
Aspiring MSC

Videos on handcuffing and restraining suspects

I feel the use of audio visual aids greatly enhance one's understanding of how to handcuff a suspect. I found this really good though brief one on YouTube and can't thank this guy enough LOL.

Please comment on the use of techniques as I'm using it to revise for OST; thanks.

1. The officers have approached from outside the suspect's fighting arc and the suspect can't see what they're doing.

2. The female officer applying handcuffs has come in from underneath the wrist knuckle.

3. She has 'touched and cuffed' by clasping the thumb or fingers.

4.They have got the suspect to bring his other arm round his back

5, Then checked for tightness.

Any other comments appreciated as 'safe release' not demonstrated in video.

Edited by Aspiring MSC

I think that video's a load of rubbish and a perfect example of the unrealistic way things are taught - if you tried cuffing someone who was that aggressive like that you're asking to be head butted or have them spit in your face. Meanwhile his other arm wouldn't be straight and floppy at all, as soon as he felt it being grabbed the instinct would be to twist away, bend the elbow and bring it to his body, and if he shook the female special off then the male officer could be getting punched. If someone's displaying all those danger signs, getting into my face and trying to shove me I'd much rather put them straight on the floor or face-first against those roller shutters to cuff them from a position of advantage - even more so I'd say for those two who both seem to have a size disadvantage.

And what's the point in cautioning someone who's not been restrained or is still kicking off? Just tell him he's being locked up, everything else can wait.

• Like 3

I'm sure your trainers will tell you that what they teach is the gold standard and it won't be like that on the street. As for discussing current Officer Safety Techniques on a public forum...

(Also don't arrest someone for assault police unless you are assaulted whilst using a piece of legislation, it's just a normal assault)

In all honesty OST is pretty much an attendance course provided you can do what you're told nice and slowly. Just be aware that in the real world cuffing someone who isn't complying tends to look much more like this: two large stocky blokes struggling to cuff a man who can't be more than eight stone but displays remarkable strength and stamina due to some sort of substance or mental health issue. No amount of goose necking will keep him under control, it's simply a case of getting into an advantageous position and waiting for him to tire himself out enough to get the cuffs on safely.

(Also don't arrest someone for assault police unless you are assaulted whilst using a piece of legislation, it's just a normal assault) 

That doesn't seem to be the case.

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/86110/sd-bb-94-assault-police-office-in-execution-of-duty-s-340.pdf

The terminology used involves any task connected to their duties from start to finish. I would therefore argue this includes patrols, responding to any incident or pretty much anything a police officer does provided it's not outside of our duty as police officers.

• Like 2

In all honesty OST is pretty much an attendance course provided you can do what you're told nice and slowly. Just be aware that in the real world cuffing someone who isn't complying tends to look much more like this: two large stocky blokes struggling to cuff a man who can't be more than eight stone but displays remarkable strength and stamina due to some sort of substance or mental health issue. No amount of goose necking will keep him under control, it's simply a case of getting into an advantageous position and waiting for him to tire himself out enough to get the cuffs on safely.

At 1:54 in that video, a MOP walks over, smacks him in the face and walks off... I'm not seeing things am I?!

• Like 1

No you're not.

I think the aim of the video was to illustrate how works handcuffing in a compliant arrest however.

And regarding discussing these

I'm sure your trainers will tell you that what they teach is the gold standard and it won't be like that on the street. As for discussing current Officer Safety Techniques on a public forum...

They made the video didn't they? It clearly demonstrates what is taught!

Edited by Aspiring MSC

That doesn't seem to be the case.

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/86110/sd-bb-94-assault-police-office-in-execution-of-duty-s-340.pdf

The terminology used involves any task connected to their duties from start to finish. I would therefore argue this includes patrols, responding to any incident or pretty much anything a police officer does provided it's not outside of our duty as police officers.

Tell that to my local magistrates.

I see.

I just need to revise the basic principles though for OST. Would be great if people can comment on these as they're taught, thanks.

Aspiring MSC, my first impressions on the video, I thought immediately that it could be a one of those many scenarios to complete in the specials practical day just prior to being sworn in,although I could be wrong in this,in this particular instance something set up to determine the capabilities of an officers ability to hand cuff someone,and he certainly was the classic Mr Angry,if I had been in the shoes of the bobbies in the video and had a perfectly free reign to deal wth it as I saw fit then I probably wouldn't have gone in quite so fast,if these officers with all due respect had done an NDM on it then they were pretty quick about it,mind you they could have done it out of camera shot I suppose,I know it's ok to be wise after the event with these things but for me I would have walked up very slowly,assessing the guy as I went and what I was going to say, whether I might need my gas handy etc, maybe say good afternoon sir is every thing ok?what seems to be the trouble?in a calm quiet manner,that sort of thing,very low to start with,just hoping that will restore the peace in the first instance,I may have told you the story about the arguing man and wife one night,quite a while ago now but I remember every detail of it,all I said to him was would you mind being a little quieter please you are upsetting people,the next thing I know about half a second later is that I am rolling around in the dust of a back alley with him, with his wife pleading with me not too arrest him,(I didn't as it turned out)my partner another special shouting 10- 9 and where we were into his radio,I never got too close to people after that Ha,so in this case I certainly wouldn't have been so close to him either or told him there had been a complaint about his behaviour, but that's just me,if no gain after that then action can be stepped up a bit if required,but generally have to go along with what Sceptre says above.always good to have a thorough de brief on this sort of thing as well I think.Rich.
  • Like 1

From the video. Its not the fact that it is too textbook that annoys me, it is the fact that the gent didnt have his hat on straight!!

• Like 1

How about the legislation that confers the right to use force in effecting an arrest or for crime prevention?

I've got Section 3 of the 1967 Criminal Law Act

Section 117 of PACE 1984

and common law rights of self-defence and taking reasonable steps to prevent the breech of peace.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Aspiring MSC

How about the legislation that confers the right to use force in effecting an arrest or for crime prevention?

I've got Section 3 of the 1967 Criminal Law Act

Section 117 of PACE 1984

and common law rights of self-defence and taking reasonable steps to prevent the breech of peace.

Any thoughts?

That's everything there is bar the human rights act. Edited by Burnsy2023

There are 16 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this