Sign in to follow this  
Space Marine

PSU Medic

Are there any PSU medics here? Can anyone tell me a bit about the role? I know there are some older topics on this, but I thought I would start a fresh one. I've not really got any specific questions at the moment, just thought I would open up a discussion about it. Its something I've always been interested in.

When I did my initial course in 2006 (ish) it was a days training. You already had to be first aid qualified and it was using cas straps, cas evac and such like. After the riots in 2011 there was talk about all PSU medics being fast aid trained, which is basic trauma management more geared towards emergency life support for gunshot and stab injuries. Whilst I was in ticket, I never saw any of that training as I guess it was down to cost. I haven't done it for a couple of years though.

The guidance I could find states:

PSU Medic - 80hrs (2 weeks)
Meets the requirements for ACPO Public Order „Operational Support Medic‟. Is aimed at those officers who will have the duty to treat in the active public disorder arena with delayed NHS Support.
Annual refreshers of 32 hours over 4 days.
Plus 1 shift with local ambulance staff.
Plus 1 day in hospital operating theatre.
But of course this can be very force variable.
If you are a Medic you get tasteful green epaulettes for use on relevant duties as well as a multi-pocketed load bearing vest stuffed with various medic kit (if the normal PSU kit wasn't heavy & hot enough!)

Know it's been discussed before, but Forces seem to have very differing views on what level PSU (What was, and might still be, 'First Aid Skills Enhanced') medics should be trained too.

Some seem to be simply FAAW, others go up to FPOS-I/FPOS-A, and some seem to be nearly paramedics. And kit varies massively too - for some it's a basic first aid kit, for others it's cervical collars and bag valve mask, and for the few it's nasopharyngeal/oropharyngeal airways and oxygen therapy.

Even the first aid kits seem to vary massively - tuffcut scissors, emergency bandages (an Israeli bandage, but lacking the really useful pressure bar) and chest seals still don't appear in most/some kits (chest seals particularly can be difficult to get hold of), which considering the sort of incidents we can be called to as first responders, and without support from further medical assistance for some time even in a big City, isn't a great place to be.

• Like 1

Know it's been discussed before, but Forces seem to have very differing views on what level PSU (What was, and might still be, 'First Aid Skills Enhanced') medics should be trained too.

Some seem to be simply FAAW, others go up to FPOS-I/FPOS-A, and some seem to be nearly paramedics. And kit varies massively too - for some it's a basic first aid kit, for others it's cervical collars and bag valve mask, and for the few it's nasopharyngeal/oropharyngeal airways and oxygen therapy.

Even the first aid kits seem to vary massively - tuffcut scissors, emergency bandages (an Israeli bandage, but lacking the really useful pressure bar) and chest seals still don't appear in most/some kits (chest seals particularly can be difficult to get hold of), which considering the sort of incidents we can be called to as first responders, and without support from further medical assistance for some time even in a big City, isn't a great place to be.

On my Mod 4 refresher, the inadequacy of the standard HSE first aid dressing in some situations was brought up by delegates, even the Reliance Trauma Fix and SP T4/T6 dressings are far superior albeit without the pressure bars of the Israeli Dressing, however it's a cost issue with these costing 4 - 8 times that of the standard dressing.

Firearms & similar do have all the latest kit up to ILS level, a sensible investment. To be fair the general first aid kit provision by our force is quite good with a good range of consumables all readily available, the only reason for a missing or incomplete kit in a vehicle is down to the crews, there are a few 'nice to have' items though it would be useful to have for general issue.

Our standard items are: 500ml Eyewash, Tuff cuts, Triangulars, HSE dressings Medium Large & Eye, Ambulance Dressing No.3 XL, finger dressing, foil blanket, plasters, tape, safety pins, wound cleansing wipes, pocket mask, vent aid, burnshield 10cm, crepe bandages 2", 3" & 4", 10cm Melolin

You could jerry rig a chest seal with the basic stuff (although I would personally want better tape to do this).

I-gels, Celox, etc are used by the tac-med teams.

• Like 1

You could jerry rig a chest seal with the basic stuff (although I would personally want better tape to do this).

It's about time every first aid kit included duct tape for this very purpose - micropore tape doesn't even do the trick in training, let alone on a wet/bloodied body. And with the change in advice on dealing with penetrating chest wounds you could be creating a lot of seals, depending how unfortunate your patient has been, so you need a lot of dressings and tape!

Saying that, most PSU medics seem to carry it anyway:

5205439862_9aa994e6a3.jpg

And check out the CAT:

6449442923_a73dc476aa_z.jpg

Most awesome, although have to be careful not to poke yourself in the eye with the "stick" if you're in a tustle!

There are 46 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this