Sign in to follow this  
TheJazzPolice

Should SCs be allowed to be attached to Response?

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should SCs be allowed to be attached to response?

In WYP, the default is that you are attached to NPT and are expected to work with NPT. Apart from RPU and OSU, there is no official way to be attached to response units and although some divisions allow officers to always go out with response, this isn't standard across WYP.

I, like many, do work response all of the time and believe it benefits both me and the response teams much more than NPT, where I have often ended up waiting for hours for a PC to do a log that I can do little to help with.

So what are peoples views on this? Should we be attached to response teams if we want to?

Edited by TheJazzPolice

Without a doubt because like you said we are more beneficial to response than NPT. There's times on NPT where I have done 10hrs and done absolutely nothing apart from drive around with the officer looking to stumble upon a crime. (needle in a haystack). I'm all for proactive policing but when it ends up with 10 hours of your own spare time out of the window and not one single competencey ticked then it's benefiting nobody. Some people absolutely love NPT but it's each to there own. Response is where you learn how to be a police officer.

• Like 1

As said above, response is where you learn. That's why in most forces, it is usually the place where new probationers start.

For some people, response is too fast paced and isn't for them.

It might be an idea to make Specials start out with NPT and later be able to move onto response when they are more competent and able to do the basics...

Yes, 100%

PCSO's and NH Officers are more than capable of undertaking the NHP duties I have been on. Response/Nightsafe/Warrants/Cordons/Reassurance Patrols etc. are where Specials are needed/utilised.

As with most things, it depends on where you are/what force you are with. NHP in rural areas can be very unfulfilling at times, but I imagine is a different kettle of fish in urban environments.

NPT are about building a good relationship between that neighbourhood and the police?

I cannot see how specials would be able to significantly benefit NPTs unless they were extremely dedicated and put in a lot of time...

I worked response last night and was talking about this with the bobby I was working with.

On NPT, my station and supervision are pretty good at not putting specials out on appointments etc, I usually go out doing disruption visits, but there have been times where the NPT officer has so much workload that I have had to follow them around collecting CCTV and taking statements etc. The best NPT shifts I have had are when I've been out with another special (2 of the specials at my nick have compliant stop permits) so we've been able to be proactive and do TORs etc.

On response, I agree with others that it is where you learn to be a police officer. Also, when I'm only doing it part time, I want to be going down roads at 70mph with lights and sirens on, parting traffic!

Also, the reponse bobby last night said that he hates being single crewed (as a lot of response are), and we can act as an extra body, even if it was just someone to press code zero! It makes the response Bobby a lot less vulnerable than they would be going to a job alone.

It is a very good buzz did RPU on Friday 130 on leeds bypass trying to intercept a stolen vehicle from your end.

Edited by Tidytraxxxx

We have speed limits still in the Ambulance service whilst driving on Red, usually about 20mph above the speed limit. But driving down a dual carriage way in a Rapid Responce Vehicle whilst all the cars part like the Red Sea is a great feeling. Well until some muppet pulls across you trying unsuccessfully to pull in to the nearside lane.

In North Yorkshire, Specials are defaulted to response from Day 1 throughout their specials career although there are now new opportunities arising for those IPS to be permenant on different units.

In North Yorkshire, Specials are defaulted to response from Day 1 throughout their specials career although there are now new opportunities arising for those IPS to be permenant on different units.

I think WYP need to look at this approach as it is definitely the way it should be.

• Like 1

TheJazzPolice - we had 3 officers seconded to a response team a year or two back as a trial. Not sure why it didn't continue? I'm not sure whether you need a physical attachment to a response team though. If you want to work response, then do so. If you want to always work with the same team, then book your duties for when they are working. So long as you're working within your neighbourhood area and not just doing viper viper viper, then they will be ok with this.

Surrey now puts specials out onto NPT as a standard, with a chance to transfer if you wish. Personally I like NPT at the moment, but I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.

Paid Membership Required

There are 8 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.
Sign in to follow this