Sign in to follow this  
trip

OSPRE Part 1

Good luck to everyone who is taking their skippers exam tomorrow.

Edited by trip
  • Like 1

I did it, I passed Part 1 three years ago but failed Part 2 three times so had to do it again.

I've done the NIE too, so have done a few exams and this was by far the most difficult. I was actually disappointed with some of the questions in that they required the candidate to make subjective conclusions that in the real world would be a matter of fact for a court to decide. There were also some questions which made statements which were clearly not factually correct in the circumstances (I can't go into detail here obviously). Unfortunately the candidate feedback survey did not let me comment on these.

I did it, I passed Part 1 three years ago but failed Part 2 three times so had to do it again.

I've done the NIE too, so have done a few exams and this was by far the most difficult. I was actually disappointed with some of the questions in that they required the candidate to make subjective conclusions that in the real world would be a matter of fact for a court to decide. There were also some questions which made statements which were clearly not factually correct in the circumstances (I can't go into detail here obviously). Unfortunately the candidate feedback survey did not let me comment on these.

If you of all people found it difficult then it makes me feel better!! :D

Did mine last year, will never forget one question... "A PCSO sees a member of public drop an item of litter in a phone box surrounded on all sides with a 6 inch gap around the bottom. Can the PCSO give an FPN for littering?"

I was looking for an answer which either said "Depends on what powers the CC of that county has given them", or the more preferable "Who cares." Neither was an option unfortunately so I guessed it.

It right that they have to test knowledge of law and procedure, but some of the questions are just ridiculous! Part 2 is even less fit-for-purpose.

• Like 6

Did mine last year, will never forget one question... "A PCSO sees a member of public drop an item of litter in a phone box surrounded on all sides with a 6 inch gap around the bottom. Can the PCSO give an FPN for littering?"

I was looking for an answer which either said "Depends on what powers the CC of that county has given them", or the more preferable "Who cares." Neither was an option unfortunately so I guessed it.

It right that they have to test knowledge of law and procedure, but some of the questions are just ridiculous! Part 2 is even less fit-for-purpose.

I am now curious to know the answer!

The sooner you realise promotion prospects bear no relation to actual ability to do the job the sooner you might get promoted.

I don't think I'm necessarily there yet: I had a chap just coming out of his probation telling me what an amazing supervisor I would be for lots of different reasons. I was embarrassed and flattered but I had to keep pointing out that most of the things he was suggesting were reasons why I probably wont get promoted.

• Like 1

There are 31 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this