Sign in to follow this  
PapaOscar

Prison Service Jobs

I was told by a serving HMP Prison Officer that recruitment was currently open? Yet I am unable to find any vacancies?

Help please.

Check the civil service jobs website and there are loads of prison officer jobs on there. The starting pay has dropped somewhat though. If you qualify the prison service grad scheme is still open for a few more days if that interests you.

Recruitment was opened up about a month ago for internal candidates only. There were only twenty posts in the south and they all started training last week. This is supposedly a trial of a new initial training course to pave the way for further intakes next year.

I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere for gainful employment though, the prison service is an absolute disgrace at the minute with zero morale and prisoners running most establishments due to staff cuts.

As a new officer on top money you would also be on £5,000 a year less than those who joined pre-2009 with no hope of promotion or pay progression. You'll also be working until you're 68 or until they can get rid of you on medical grounds.

I would leave tomorrow if I could find a job paying a similar wage including the pension. Sorry to be so negative but I couldn't recommend my job to anyone in good conscience.

Edit to add: if you want to see the true prison service search "Know The Danger" on Facebook and see what really goes in behind the wall.

Edited by Prae
  • Like 5

Have you worked for the prison service long Prae? I see hear what your saying, there isn't anything worse than low morale on a job that could be essentially fantastic and very rewarding. I'm guessing the prison service is the same way as the police at the moment in the sense that there is only going to be internal recruitment for the next few years? Or is there likely to be an external drive at some point?

PO: sorry, just had another look, and I can't see them anymore :(

I was logged into civil service jobs as I work within the civil service so may have come up as a internal vacancy. Sorry :(

Still got the grad scheme closing like now I think?

Is an OSG not a Prison Officer?

Confused. Same Uniform, kit, only under a different name I thought to save money?

Thank you for everyone's replies. I was going to send an app in for the OSG role. Don't think I will now.

An OSG is to a Prison Officer what a PCSO is to a Police Officer. It's a lower paid less confrontational role. They do the non prisoner contact jobs.

Morale is so low because of all the cuts. Worse pension, retiring 8 years later than the contract I signed said I would, no pay rises. I've been in 7 years and not had a single inflation or cost of living pay rise!!! There are more cons than ever and half the staff of when I joined. Staff are badly beaten up and all management care about is how long they're going to be on the sick for or if they're going to put a claim in or not. It's a joke!

They put out an early retirement package last year at my prison and 60 of the 210 officers here applied for it and left. There were people in their early twenties and thirties leaving a £30k a year job in an area where the average wage is £21k to work in burger vans and as window cleaners!

If that doesn't tell you all you need to know I don't know what does.

Edited by Prae

There are 6 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this