Sign in to follow this  
BigPapaMike

Considering a move from Met to Dorset

Hello,

I'm a Met Special with 4 years service currently living in London but for personal reasons I am considering moving down to Dorset, specifically the Bournemouth area. I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction, or offer me advice, on what the process would be transferring as a Special to Dorset?

I'm very much a "career special" with no intentions of becoming a Regular, I am signed off as IPS with all my training up to date. I know nothing about Dorset police, or more specifically what role a Special plays down there so I would very much like your local knowledge and advice.

Thanks

Thanks for this. Although I work in a day job full of corporate-speak, I am really sniffing around for what it is really like though from those in the know! Also I did read the link you kindly shared but "Dorset specific training" sounds very vague, for example.

Thanks for this. Although I work in a day job full of corporate-speak, I am really sniffing around for what it is really like though from those in the know! Also I did read the link you kindly shared but "Dorset specific training" sounds very vague, for example.

PM Chewie, he's a Dorset special and will be able to give you all the gen you need :aok:

Edited by Damsel

Dorset specific training = sheep/horse/cow herding ;)

While there are going to be certain things that are standard from force to force, there are other bits which are unique, or which the force will need to cover it's backside with - PST, for example - so you'll need to do various bits of training to make sure those aspects are covered. Give the volunteers section a call (I believe the number's on the website) and have a chat, they're a friendly bunch and they'll be better equipped to tell you what bits will need to be covered before going operational (I can't imagine it's a particularly long list).

Any queries tho, feel free to drop me a PM. :)

In effect you will go back to being pre-IPS and have to sit in on an intake for the pre-attestation modules which cover Dorset specific processes, e.g our policy, procedures and forms. You then attest as a Dorset SC and will then complete the post-attestation modules and an eSOLAP which through experience you should be able to evidence as quickly as the objectives occur during a tutored phase, you will however be adopting a Dorset style of policing and working within the constraints of one of the poorest funded, though best performing forces in the country.. If you decide to operate in the conurbation then it might not be too much of a culture shock, but you won't have to venture too far to find yourself in the sticks.

There is a 'conversion course' which regular transferees complete, but as it is only recently that a 'national standard for SC training has been rolled out (though in some cases not fully implemented) then there isn't yet a comparable conversion course for SC and due to the low demand for it, probably never will be.

Sign in to follow this