Sign in to follow this  
Dice

Do you regret joining the Regulars? [SC to PC]

Howdy.

So I'm a current Special Constable undertaking the SC to PC process via the PLC course. I've been a Special Constable for a few years. don't get me wrong when I say I am looking forward to the experience of being a Regular however there's something at the back of my mind telling me that I'd rather stay a Special Constable [mostly due to the flexibility of going out and being your own person of sorts]

Question is, do you regret being a Regular having previously been a Special Constable?

- C

Edited by WaRrAz##

I'm glad I'm no longer a SC and got in as a PC. I'm glad I made the transition and got away from my previous run of the mill job. My purpose of being a SC was to eventually become a PC and now I've achieved it.

• Like 7

I don't regret joining as a PC, but then again I don't regret leaving again a few years later!

• Like 1

It does make you realise that they are very different jobs in a way - the general role is the same but you have a lot more responsibilities. As well as the pain of missing out on social life, getting days off canceled etc. I do spend a lot of time moaning too, but in my case I ended up moving up to PC pay from a lot less working at a supermarket. Especially with all the Winsor changes and LPM changes in the Met at the moment, I'd say if you are happy in your other job and earning a better/similar wage to stick at that to be honest.

I dont regret joining, but I do resent everything that's going on at the moment with changes to my terms & conditions, and I'm fully aware of the sort of money I'd be on in the private sector doing what I did before....I enjoy the job itself when I'm able to actually get on and do it without the government, cps or somebody else ruining it, but it's not the same as being a special.

• Like 3

I dont regret joining as a reg, being a police officer is all I ever wanted to do. It was my dream come true the day I got the call offering me the job.

Thats not to say that I'm not disillusioned and p'eed off with how we are currently being treated by the government.

But the way I look at it is this... I am pretty much my own boss, I get my vehicle keys at the start of the shift, I go out of the station and go wherever I want (within my divisional boundaries), I can stop cars/people that I dont like the look of and speak to people etc

I've always enjoyed problem solving and thats essentially what this job is, a mobile problem solver!

I still love my job despite all the cuts, changes etc. It pays me much much more than my previous job did even with all the cuts. I get to meet new people in a variety of situations on a daily basis. It makes me smile that sometimes I can stand there with my colleagues and say 'we get paid to do this!'

so in summary, no regrets at all!

• Like 3

Im about to join the specials, as long as my medical goes through okay!! My dream is to also become a regular. Cant wait to get started as a special!!

I have to agree with hobnob, I was a special for a couple of years and am now a reg I always wanted to be in the job but now I'm here it's a different feeling. As a special you pick and choose what shifts you want and who you work with but as a reg someone in an office does this for you. Rest days cancelled change of shifts manning up team covering station office aid aid aid case papers crime reports and very little time doing what you could as a special. The money seems to be good Before the tax man strips you of it all and well all I can say is that iTs the best decision I've ever made in my life I moan about 70% of the time but I love the job so go ahead and just take the leap

I obviously can't speak as a regretee but I know 3 SC's who did the PC conversion (via PLC) and have now sacked it because they hated it. Only 1 of them afaik has rejoined as a Special.

I've certainly seen that a few people who enjoyed swanning around as an SC have found it difficult moving to being a probationer PC.

It's certainly less fun; who really wants to be front office and the appointments car all the time. In a few years though you wont be in those roles and it should be a little more fun.

However, some people simply wont like it as much; being a PC is not the same as being an SC even though you have the same powers.

I know that I will have a hard time adjusting to being a PC.

Especially when it comes down to the reduction of hours, flexibility and independence

Probably get used to it after a while though.

Pay would be a bonus though, ha

Edited by WaRrAz##

Quite a few of the regs in my station were SC's beforehand. They said it was a bit of a shock to the system over rest days cancelled, amount of paperwork etc. Having weighed it up, I'm staying as an SC. I would have loved to have joined the regs, but a big one is my daughter (Only 4) and the lack of flexibility towards my family life, not just time off, but when I can bend my shifts at work to cover childcare. I've looked at the pension and really I'd only be £500 per year better off, plus the lump sum, which would be nice, but really I'm looking 8 - 10 years for the next 2 promotions which would put my on the same salary as a PC without the hassle (e.g. in 8 - 10 years I'll be on the same as I would be if I joined the regs and did 8 - 10 years). My pension would then be higher then what I would get for the police (due to age vs % of career in police completed). I also have a small Army pension which would top up my current one, but be knackered if I joni regs.

I also watch how much the regs, (even the ones in 5 - 6 years) say if they had their time again they wouldn't join. It's mainly over the changes, an extra 5 years in the job, thinking about how they'll cope doing what they do at 27, when they're 60, or wondering if they'll have to deal with pub fights when they're 65.

A strange one for me is that I actually enjoy my day role MORE because I'm an SC. I think it was that 10% missing from my life, so now I feel it's complete, I can carry on happy!

But good luck to those that do go regs, I probably would think harder about it (trying again that is) if I was 10 years younger.

Edited by Mr So Special

I started met sc training at Hendon nearly two years ago, through decisions I have made I have ended up with Surrey Police, and start as a Reg in just under 7 weeks. Due to Windsor I will be taking a pay cut to join the force full time, however the scope of career longevity and still a good pension is an attractive lure, if I compare it to most people I know around me age '25', the fact that I will be paying into a pension is a nice thought...in theory ;)

In retrospect it has taken me over 4 yrs to get to this point since applying for the met regs in jan 09, and then getting all the way to the completion pool, to only get placed in the 'big freeze', which ended up in my re- applying as a special etc etc etc

I suppose only time will tell whether I made the right choice to switch from SC to PC, however I only joined the Specials because of the freeze, I never really felt that I fully enjoyed being a special as I had been accepted as a Reg before, and felt the offer to become an SC was a massive slap in the face, especially as I only did it to keep my reg app open, as the Met had promised, something which they went back on, resulting in me doing an external PLC course and joining Surrey, who I must say have a brilliant HR department who keep you fully informed every step of the way.

• Like 2

There are 169 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this