Sign in to follow this  
T18

Medical - Protein shakes

I'm aware this is probably one of those rumours.which has spiralled and is nowhere near the truth, but someone in our group suggested we should stop taking protein shakes before the medical as it often has something in that they don't like, is there any truth in this?

I just take simple whey protein like you can get from Holland and Barrett or similar

Maybe ring Occupational Health (or what it's branded locally) I have heard some things do show up as misleading things, i.e say some OTC Painkillers.

as for the shakes I often drink SIS Recovery Shakes after riding and have heard of no 'dodgy effects' of these as i'm liable for medscreen at work at any given time so i watch what I take in.

if I remember correctly by cousin got temp medically unfit for army when he had his medical due to protein but again it is diffrent for the army to the police so maybe give them a ring?

Hope not?

I use PHD whey ht+ twice a day, along with OTC test boosters.

I thought the drugs test was purely for recreational drugs, Wouldn't have thought you could fail the medical for doing something that's not illegal in the slightest?

I can't see how it would affect your medical, if your fit with no underlying illness.

If they test your urine and elevated levels of protein are found this is an indicator of kidney disease or diabetes which could be a medical concern. But if your fit your body should be able to process the protein from these shakes, that is unless your going crazy with them!

• Like 1

*shakes head*

Protein in your urine is a possible sign of infection. When they say protein they mean, proteins shed from the infection itself. Hitting the Maximuscle before and after your workout isn't going to fail you :aok:

...and if just for peace of mind, lay off it for a day or two :)

• Like 1

You'll be fine - I was a bit worried as I take hemp protein after working out (I feel it's better for me than whey) but I thought it may show up as a false positive for cannabis but it didn't so don't worry too much about it!

Shouldn't be an issue. I take protein but only straight after workouts. It didn't affect me. If you're at all worried, give it a miss for a little while leading into the medical.

• Like 1

Absolutely fine.

You can take anything available from holland and barrat without any worries what so over. Or similar websites.

The test I assume is for general fitness and for recreational drugs use.

Hair and urine sample I believe if its still the same.

Drugs test is hair, urine sample is medical - I think it's just glucose they're looking at in case of undiagnosed diabetes. If they're looking for protein, then it's your kidneys they've an interest in, and a high result would be a case for further tests rather than a fail.

Great, thanks all :aok:

I only take it before and after the gym, and I'm pretty fit anyway so it should be fine, as it happens I can't make it to the gym for about a week before my medical so I'll be laying off it anyway!

I took a lot of paracetamol and codiene before the weeks building up to my medical as had a bad knee, I did let the nurse know and I passed the medical fine so couldn't have been a problem.

I know this thread isn't about OTC meds but my point was if you feel it may effect you just tell the nurse.

Paid Membership Required

There are 4 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.
Sign in to follow this