Sign in to follow this  
Response1

Just a few questions...

Hey guys,

Just got a few questions that I was hoping some Special Constables could answer for me.

Just a bit of info to help you answer these, Im 17 at the moment (18 in January), On a 2 year college course (Just finished 1st year), live in Cirencester, and going to apply as soon as i turn 18 (Cant Wait!)

1) How hard are the English and Math tests? (gots C's in GSCE)

2) How long will it be untill i start patrolling? (from when I apply)

3) Will still being in College prevent me from joining? (will be finished by July 2013)

4) Truthfully...Being 18 how likely is it that I'll be able to join and get through?

Thanks Guys

Appreciate It!

First of all, a disclaimer, this is in no way official whatsoever, simply my opinion...

1) The aims of the English and maths test are to make sure you can think correctly, and communicate ideas, thoughts and opinions - hopefully Cs in English and Maths will be satisfactory. I didn't find the tests too taxing, but they do require you to think.

2) From application to patrolling I took 9 months, but if you pass everything first time it may take anywhere between 3 months and 2 years to join. It depends on many many things, for example the Olympics which is delaying the next intake of specials, if I recall correctly.

3) Being in college shouldn't count against you, per se, but the assumed associated qualities, that you have limited life experience of "doing stuff" may could against you. If you have been through college, worked a full time job for a few years, etc then you may have more skills to deal with the stresses and strains of the job. I'll come back to this topic.

4) It's possible.

If I may offer you some advice? Joining the specials is an amazing experience, you learn so much about yourself and others, and you gain tools to deal with the demands of the job. For me, and I have only been in service a very limited time, I can safely say joining has been an amazing thing for me.

My disclaimer-appropriate advice to you (not from the perspective of the job) would be to go to college, do well, continue on your life path and apply to do the job in a few years. Enjoy yourself while you are young, joining the service can be an amazing opportunity but it can also be something of a burden (I love the job but there can be emotional strains which can feel like a burden).

For me, personally, I have found some of the jobs I have dealt with to be harrowing and horrific. Without the support and coping mechanisms I gained after leaving school ad before joining I'm not sure I would have been able to cope with it all. It's one thing to say you are able to cope with the actual job, it's another thing to be able to cope with the consequences of the job. One job I attended sticks in my mind as poignant; without the support network established as a young adult I'm not sure I would have been able to cope with the mental ramifications over the few days and weeks that followed. I must point out that there was a huge amount of support from the PCs I was working with at that time and it makes you feel like part of a fantastic and well oiled team machine.

I'm not accusing you of this, but I would like to point out that joining doesn't mean you'll be racing around Cirencester on blue light runs all day, nor fighting people in riots across the county. Being a special is about communication, forging the relationship between the police and the community; we do help out where we can and I think the Special Constabulary does a great job.

If you do apply in January, good luck with your application, and do stay in touch :)

G

Edited by Gambit

2) From application to patrolling I took 9 months, but if you pass everything first time it may take anywhere between 3 months and 2 years to join. It depends on many many things, for example the Olympics which is delaying the next intake of specials, if I recall correctly.

Hi,

Applied in September '11 and am still waiting to take the medical and fitness due to the olympics, have heared little rummours though that swe should start up around September this year though. Everytime i get an email from recruitment its like "YAY" then "oh" when its the news letter (good read though).

You may apply when your 18 but your probably going to start when your 19 or near enough. Another year of experience for you.

Chris

I applied April 2008, and started training late August 2008. I passed out in December 2008, and was then operational. Back then the training was 17 days consisting of mainly every other weekend. May have changed a little but I wouldn't have though drastically.

Signed off for independent Patrol in January 2009

Passed the Section Officer Interview (for my sins) in February 2011

Resigned in June 2012 sad.png

It's what you make it. Put in the effort and have faith in yourself, and there is no reason why not. College will be be a barrier.

Wish you all the best with it :)

I will echo the simple point of it is what you make it.

I have been in a good while and can assure you it is rewarding but extremely challenging sometimes.

The key is having the right attitude from the start - that your here to get involved, learn and grow as both an officer and an individual.

We have a great group of officers of which a good number are extremely competent.

If you have any direct questions feel free to PM me.

Hey guys,

Just got a few questions that I was hoping some Special Constables could answer for me.

Just a bit of info to help you answer these, Im 17 at the moment (18 in January), On a 2 year college course (Just finished 1st year), live in Cirencester, and going to apply as soon as i turn 18 (Cant Wait!)

1) How hard are the English and Math tests? (gots C's in GSCE)

2) How long will it be untill i start patrolling? (from when I apply)

3) Will still being in College prevent me from joining? (will be finished by July 2013)

4) Truthfully...Being 18 how likely is it that I'll be able to join and get through?

Thanks Guys

Appreciate It!

I'm 18 at the moment and am attending my uniform fitting soon! So to be honest, age is not a problem. As long as you're 17 1/2 years of age when you apply, there is no problem.

Now, quickly going over college. I was still in college when I joined and to be truthfully honest, I did struggle with college and gateway. Even so that my teachers had to pull me aside and ask if I really wanted to be there! If YOU believe you can go through college and specials, then there is nothing stopping you.

Also, as you can see from my signature I have put my process so far and this is definitely not the quickest way of going through. Like everyone else has said, it's completely down to you and your free time.

If you want to be a special, nothing can stop you.

Edited by HampshireDave

Sign in to follow this