Sign in to follow this  
DavidG

June/October Intakes

Hi guys,

As a part introduction/enquiry I'm currently undergoing the final stages of the recruitment process, having already completed my apptitude testing, interview and my medical as of today, I'm curently awaiting to attend the fittness assessment next Thursday, I was wondering if anyone else is in the same/similar position to me?

This is something I've been hoping to do for a few years now but was unable due to being at uni with my part time job in the security industry, so now after finally moving back I'm giving it a go, and as I've mentioned I've only a few steps to go.

I also have a few questions for some of the other more experienced and (or) knowledgable members of the forum if they're able to offer answers.

I was wondering how long do the security checks usually take to clear and do the intakes usually fill upto the 18 mark? I've been trying to guage as to what intake I would get onto (June/October) if I were to succeed.

Does anyone know how long the fittness assessment lasts for on the day itself?.

Thanks for reading guys, all the best with your ongoing work and applications.

David

Hi David,

And welcome to the forum. I am a serving special with Glospol so hopefully can answer some of your questions. Vetting is a tricky one as its different for each applicant. Mine took around 1 month to clear. In relation to your fitness assessment. It doesn’t normally last for more then an hour or so. My intake had 16 on, but the training you will receive is structured differently to what me and others had as they have recently changed it. It is now longer and covers a few things in more detail.

What station are you hoping to be based at?

DJMH

• Like 1

Hi David,

Well done on getting past all the initial stages. In terms of the fitness test mine took about 90 mins as although the actual fitness test is quite short, you have to wait to be seen for the urine sample (and if you can't go, you have to wait until you can).

My vetting took quite a while due to the size off my family, and they had to also check my girlfriends family as I live with her. The response you will get from a lot of users on here will be vetting takes as long as it takes unfortunately. Some people get through quick, and some people can take longer. As mentioned earlier mine took around 5 months, but like I said I have a largish family and my girlfriends Dad is in the RAF so travelled around a lot when she was younger.

I am currently in training and there are 19 of us on this intake, but I understand they have seen a surge in applicants for the Special Constabulary, I guess you are better off calling recruitment.

What local policing division are you looking to work in? (Glos, Cheltenham, Forest etc)

Anyway good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers

Rich

You will likely have the training we are undergoing. It covers certain areas like domestic abuse and traffic in more detail.

Edited by swiss_tony
  • Like 1

Hi Rich/DJMH,

Thanks for the feed back guys, it was kind of what I was expecting in being ambiguous on time scales on the vetting side of things, really hoping there's a chance it'll go through in time for the mid June intake, so similar to you DJMH.

On that last note I have another question, If I were to only be able to make it in on to the October intake would I be able to work part time in security before it started? I.e. In another sense what I'm asking is that does the list of conflicting job roles set out by the NPIA (Including that of security work) start to come into play whilst your applying or when you actually start employment/training for the role? If i were able to it would simply help my poor financial position just coming out of university! It's something I'll bring up this Thursday at the fittness assessment, but it always helps if there's a definative answer that someone may know before hand.

The area to which I was hoping to work in is the Chelt area as the area I'm living in in Gloucester isn't exactly crime free to say the least..... so even though from what I here from Glos being more "eventful/fun" looking at it in a serious light it might play things a little too close to my doorstep (again not wanting to jinx anything that's IF i get in!).

Where are you being/hoping to be posted Rich?

In my correspondence the June intake is at 18 and when I asked at the medical 4 or 5 had been cleared for that start date, so again everything else going well fingers crossed for getting on 1 of the 14/13 spaces for that intake.

Did anyone else get worried about their BMI when going for the medical? Mine was one point away from being clinically obese!! Not that I am, luckily enough I'm glad the doctor correctly attributed it from going to the gym instead of pork pies! I always get jittery when BMI seeing as it's not exactly regarded a true representation for everyone especially for a lot of gym bunnies.

Thanks for replying guys, anymore information would be great.

David

Edited by DavidG

I would suggest giving recruitment a call to see if it would be a conflicting position, but I would have thought so.

I am being posted to Gloucester City Centre and I live in Gloucester (which I don't mind). On my intake there are 3 going to Gloucester and 5 going to Cheltenham, the rest are scattered around the other LPA.

My BMI is only around 21 as I am quite slim (although I do train alot) so wasn't really an area of concern for me, but we have a guy in our intake who is about 16stone of pure muscle so guess they use some savy when deciding if BMI taken is accurate indicator of health.

cheers

Rich

Edited by swiss_tony
  • Like 1

Hi David,

I am currently in the process of being cleared for June's intake myself. I think we must have been at the fitness test together? any idea as to when you are expected to start? i received an e-mail from the resourcing officer a few days ago stating that he expects me to be in Junes intake.

James

Reference Policing and Living in the same area, it can be 'interesting' sometimes.

I personally live and Police in Gloucester, and have had a few 'occurances!' shall we say in the three years or so I've been policing!! :(

Quite a bit, but then, I'm regularly on duty.

Off the top of my head -

- Not long ago, my girlfriend and I ordered a taxi between two places. The taxi driver who turned up, I had previously issued a fixed penalty to, a few weeks before, for a driving offence in his taxi. He had contested the ticked, and I gave evidence against him in court. He was found guilty, and issued with a substantial fine and points, significantly more than the Fixed penalty would have attracted. So you can imagine it was very interesting when he arrived, especially as I'd had a few sherberts, by then... :eek:

- In a lively pub in the city, my girlfriend popped to the ladies, and a lady rushed over, gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. She then said "Hey, you're the copper that booked me for using my phone in the car last week. Can I buy you a drink?" (I obviously declined!!)

- A young lady who I'd warned in uniform for riding her bike on the pavement a few days previously, approached me in a packed city centre whilst on my lunch break, in plain clothes, pointed at me, and shouted "HE'S AN UNDERCOVER DETECTIVE!!!"

- I filled up a Police car with diesel, at a garage in the City. A few weeks later I was filling up my own car in plain clothes, went in to pay, and the chap was having some sort of dispute with a customer. Garage worker pointed at me, and shouted "HE'S A POLICE OFFICER" prompting everyone to look, and me wanting the ground to swallow me up.

- I was once travelling to Wales, when I showed the train conductor my ticket. I didn't recognise him at all, and was in office clothes, but he said to me "You don't need to buy a ticket, just show me your warrant card next time!) :(

- a couple of occasions where I've been asked for my number, by people who have recognised me in pubs etc. Obviously they're politely declined!

- Crossing a road off duty in plain clothes, a private hire driver I've dealt with a couple of times before recognises me, and grabs for his seat belt!! (note, private hire have no exemption without a fare in the car)

- Stopping someone for driving on the phone, and discovering they live 2 doors down from my girlfriends parents. Still had the ticket.

On a less fun note, never had anything toooo serious, but a few examples of situations that could have got hairy.

- being approached off duty while buying a train ticket, for a guy I'd given a £30 FPN to for cycling on the pavement. Said chap shoves me, hard, and says words to the effect of "you can't do anything when you're off duty can you, pig"? (He very quickly found out to the contrary!!!)

- Similar to the above, only at my workplace (which the public have access to), an unhappy customer expressed some frustrations at a court result, when he recosnised me.

- Having pig noises made behind me in the Queue at Marks and Spencer

To be honest, sometimes I do think it's all getting a bit close to home, but I love what I do, the links/connections I've made in the area, and I'm not prepared to move, now.

Just be aware that, if you live and police the same areas, you WILL become known.

Is there a so called 'pass mark' for the BMI? You get tested on your strength and stamina, surely thats all you need to be a special? :w00t:

Also, when you undergo the security vetting, what are they looking for?

Cheers guys and good luck with your applications/policing!!:(

Edited by Reajay

Is there a so called 'pass mark' for the BMI? You get tested on your strength and stamina, surely thats all you need to be a special? :unsure:

Also, when you undergo the security vetting, what are they looking for?

Cheers guys and good luck with your applications/policing!!:aok:

My girlfriend has passed the entire Glospol specials process, all bar BMI - so yes, they do factor it. She's not been rejected, her application is simply on hold until she reaches her target weight.

In terms of vetting, I doubt anyone knows for sure, but obviously they'll look at your past, any convictions/cautions, probably your associates, financial position, references, partners, relatives - in a nuthsell, they'll be checking to make sure there's nothing about you, that would make you likely to be unsuitable to hold the office of Constable :)

Oh right fair enough! Thanks for the help :aok: .. the hardest part of the whole application is the waiting bit! Itching to get on with it all!!

Vetting is at counter terrorism level, not sure what that covers but if you go on the government vetting website there may be some detail there.

Sign in to follow this