Sign in to follow this  
martin.taylor

Introduction

Morning all,

I have just found this website and spent my time reading through various posts so thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Martin, I am 22 years old and I have just this week sent my application form to Gloucestershire Constabulary to become a SC. I have been volunteering with my other half at one off events on and off since school; however, I wanted to find something that was more exciting, more regular and as my parents were both full-time officers (quite a while ago!) I thought this would be perfect and I could follow in their footsteps!

After I sent my application I received a letter explaining that the next training would start in June 2011 but if I did not make it onto that one it would be October! (Obviously I have got to get passed all the initial stages first!) In everyones experience, should I make it through the initial stages, what is the likelihood of being accepted onto the June intake? or is it more likely to be October?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Martin

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum!

The resourcing unit at Glospol is a mystery to many but I will try my best to help. Don’t be put off by what seems a long wait before you start training. When I went through the recruitment process it took almost a year as well from the time I applied. If you pass all the stages then I see no reason why you would not be on the June intake. There are allot of things which may effect which intake your on. These can include how many applicants there are, if you fail a certain stage this can delay you application. I have a friend who was meant to be on the November 2010 intake but due to failing her fitness she is now meant to be on the March intake.

From speaking to some of the trainers the training is going to be much longer in the future that may be why they have said June/October for you. If you have any other questions we are a friendly bunch on here so ask away!

All the best,

Dan

Hi Martin,

Like Dan said it's impossible to say how long the process can take. My own application was very quick, a matter of months but others such as Dan have waited up to a year. There are so many factors that can delay the process and the end of it is such a long way off that I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Just concentrate fully on each step as you come to it and take the advice and help given in the recruitment part of this site. If you have any questions then feel free to ask any of us and we will do our best to help you along.

Good luck.

Ian.

• Like 1

Hi and thanks for the replies!

It sounds like it will just be a case of crossing my fingers and being patient....in the mean time I am reading as much as I can with regards to the police force and doing additional fitness training in preperation :rolleyes:

Where are you both stationed and how long have you been in the force?

Edited by martin.taylor

Check my sig out.

I found the whole experience to be very smooth. I was originally looking to be on the November 2010 intake, but it took longer to get all my security checks and clearance returned and signed off. Today I received all my paper work offering me a position, along with also my badge number. Called uniform stores today and booked in 5th Jan 2011 for my uniform fitting.

Overall I would recommend staying patient, doing allot of research on the role and staying active on the forums. I can without doubt say this forum is the best source of information you are ever likely to get and getting involved in discussions is a helpful way of preparing yourself as best as you can for the role of a Special Constable.

Good luck anyway and look forward to hearing about your progress.

Richard

Check my sig out.

I found the whole experience to be very smooth. I was originally looking to be on the November 2010 intake, but it took longer to get all my security checks and clearance returned and signed off. Today I received all my paper work offering me a position, along with also my badge number. Called uniform stores today and booked in 5th Jan 2011 for my uniform fitting.

Overall I would recommend staying patient, doing allot of research on the role and staying active on the forums. I can without doubt say this forum is the best source of information you are ever likely to get and getting involved in discussions is a helpful way of preparing yourself as best as you can for the role of a Special Constable.

Good luck anyway and look forward to hearing about your progress.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Congratulations on getting signed off and I hope the training all goes well! :w00t:

I am trying to watch and read all the threads as much as possible and am going to buy some light bedtime reading to get up to speed with various procedures and laws. Were there any books you found particlarly useful?

Cheers

Martin

To be honest I didn't read any books. I got all my information from this forum and reading about the local policing pledges and policies. I also made sure I was confident with the core competency's questions and if I was unsure of anything, the forum was a good place to get an answer.

I was bought a 'Student Officer's Handbook' when I joined, it is excellent - can't remember Author at the moment.

Aimed at regulars, but obviously the legislation stuff is all relevent. Will try and dig out the details.

Be just a touch wary of relying too much on the forums for advice unless you know a) who is giving it and b) that they are in a position to know that fact. If in any doubt - and especially if it's important - seek an official answer.

Obviously I'm not talking about people giving their own personal experiences of the process, but there's a lot goes on behind the scenes that they may not know about, and it's scary how fast some rumours become perceived wisdom!

I'm always willing to help offline, and am in a position to be reasonably authoritative.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this