• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Hello lovely peoples of PS.com! I come to you for your assistance, and really and help would be appreciated.

I have a male kitten who is around 6 months old now, and up until now I haven't had any problems with him apart from a few minor things that were overcome quite easily.

But recently he has decided he likes playing with wires, and as such I have either fixed or replaced cables on 3 seperate occasions. I see everywhere that can cats chew because they are bored, but he has plenty of stuff to amuse him and gets loads of attention from me and the other half.

So really I'm looking for people who have either had this problem or know of a possible solution, really any help would be appreciated.

Just incase anyone was curious, here is the current bane of my technological existence...otherwise known as Wilson.

Attached File  IMG_0129.JPG   573.68KB   90 downloads

#2 cat thing

cat thing

ps.com's resident feline

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:48 PM

He's a cutie!

I have a similar problem, called Tallulah, I've had to replace my hairdryer, and she chewed through the power cable of my old laptop to the point that there were exposed wires...we're lucky to still have a Tallulah!

She's just over a year old now and her chewing has calmed down a lot.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you...'Lulah grew out of it, maybe Wilson will too.

#3 Lee_mk_20

Lee_mk_20

Experienced

• Members
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

not sure if you wanna do this to your cat, but my dad had a problem with his pups eating the wall!!!, so what he did was put chilli powder on the wall, they did it once after that but never again.

#4 David

David

Ninja Pussycat :)

• Moderators
  • 31,222 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

You might try plastic conduit - it tidies loose wires and might discourage Wilson too - looks a cutie in the pic, butter wouldn't melt!

Looks neat and tidy, it's a 3-sided square U shape with a removable snap-on top and can be cut to length etc. Might be an idea before pussycat finds out the hard way...

During the day, a friend of mine leaves the radio on playing very softly; apparently it cut his cat's anxiety of being left alone, you might try that too.

#5 Hades

Hades

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,842 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

Explain calmly to him that it's not suitable behaviour...... Then, if that doesn't work...

Posted Image

#6 Angua

Angua

Settling In

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Lemon, orange or other citrus oil. Cats hate all things citrus.

#7 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

Lemon, orange or other citrus oil. Cats hate all things citrus.

I've tried that, as well as the chew stopping sprays from the pet shop, but he just doesn't seem that bothered by them. I think I will have to try enclosing the wires like David suggested for the time being, then just hope he grows out of it. I am fed up with replacing the cables, but I'm more worried about him biting through the TV cable and getting the full 240 volts.

Thanks for your replies! Keep ideas coming though...I'll keep going through them till he either stops or I run out of cables! :D

EDIT: That picture is ridiculously cute DM....minus the 9mm though :D

Edited by Sooso, 05 October 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#8 foxtrot2008

foxtrot2008

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

Explain calmly to him that it's not suitable behaviour......

This also works with children :D not :D

#9 David

David

• Moderators
  • 31,222 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

Yeah sit him down and talk to him, it's the only way. If he has trouble in understanding, pictures might help.

Attached File  scared_cat.jpg   157.36KB   10 downloads

#10 cat thing

cat thing

ps.com's resident feline

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

Yeah sit him down and talk to him, it's the only way.

You may jest, but when Theo was a baby he woke me up at 4am two mornings in a row. I sat down and had a chat with him about how it wasn't fair, and he's never done it since.

Hasn't worked with 'Lulah though, no matter how many times I sit down with her for a chat, she still thinks that once the sun is up, I should be up too.

#11 SS1202

SS1202

Forum Regular

• Excluded
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:23 PM

My puppy chewed the walls inside my house. I think it had mental problems. :D

We later gave it away.

#12 Angua

Angua

Settling In

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

or demonstrate suitable restraining techiques until he grows out of it...

... yes, David, I know! Sacrilege of the sacred Pringles tin.

Attached Files

#13 Hyde

Hyde

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

You could get some of that JML cable tidy stuff that wraps round several cables, looks alot neater too!

#14 Bart S

Bart S

Veteran

• Excluded
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

Failing that you could always use these, it would definitely put an end to his chewing!! :D ;) :D B-)

Posted Image

#15 derbyspecial

derbyspecial

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:16 PM

You could let him get on with it? I'm sure after the insulation on the first cable vanishes, he won't try for a second B-)

On a serious note, you could try citrus as has been suggested, or pepper.
Neither of these fared well for me when trying to keep cats out of the garden, as the cat seemed to become acclimatised to them.

You may need to resort to the cable tidy things, or plastic conduits.

#16 Hyde

Hyde

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

HAHA made me remember this spoof. Will definitely solve the problem!

#17 Pineappleman

Pineappleman

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

Get some cheap plastic cable tidys. Ikea or most tat shops sell them you just hide your cables in them and once hes out grown it take them off. Or if they look ok keep them lol

#18 David

David

• Moderators
  • 31,222 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:29 AM

You may jest, but when Theo was a baby he woke me up at 4am two mornings in a row. I sat down and had a chat with him about how it wasn't fair, and he's never done it since.

Yeah, that's responsible and loving parenting.

Hasn't worked with 'Lulah though, no matter how many times I sit down with her for a chat, she still thinks that once the sun is up, I should be up too.

Yes but not all kittens are old enough to be able to understand. It's why we need stronger methods. Doesn't make it any less responsible or loving. It would be less responsible and loving to allow him to get away with it.

#19 Frogman

Frogman

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

We've got the same with my parents dog - i know it's different but i guess it the sme principal. A friend of mine is a dog trainer and has recommended the following...

Smear Eucalyptus oil on the parts where it's chewing (or as onther poster has stated, chilli!)

Get them a 'Kong' ball (surely cats have the same senses and toys)

If you get home and the pet has done this, don't say a word, clean up the mess, ignore it for an hour - AND I MEAN TOALLY IGNORE IT!!!!! Don't give it any attention and don't acknowledge it in any way.

Apparently it workds for dogs, may work for cats too :D

#20 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

Right, here's the next method I'm trying. I have masking taped all of the cables to the wall and taped off the area behind the tv.

I'm hoping that because the cables no longer dangle or look even vaguely interesting, he might leave them alone. Either that or I'm going to go home later today to a kitten and house covered in masking tape. :D

#21 kittyjay90

kittyjay90

I'm new!

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Explain calmly to him that it's not suitable behaviour...... Then, if that doesn't work...

Posted Image

+1 for that logical reply..!

#22 Bart S

Bart S

Veteran

• Excluded
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Posted Image

#23 ataylor0

ataylor0

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

We sell this at work, also stopped my friends dog (Who i was baby sitting for) destroying their house.

http://www.pet-super...ay_CN187001.htm

That, or Moth Balls. Cats Hate them.

EDIT - Just realised this is an EPICLY old thread.
I assume its sorted now!

Edited by ataylor0, 11 May 2011 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users