Blank firing weapons

17 replies to this topic

#1 Airflow

Airflow

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

im aware that deactivated firearms (you'd be better discussing this on www.PoliceCommunity.co.uk) are legal (assuming done with the required proof house cert, not public place etc), but what about blank firers? they seem readily avaliable, do they fall under the same remit? is blank ammo not illegal to buy/own like normal ammo is?

#2 JH99

JH99

I'm clueless

• Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:45 PM

What are blank firers?

From my experience of blanks, they are extremely dangerous. A blank round is just a live round that has had the tip crushed or removed to leave just the casing. This means that when the bullet is fired, the core shoots out where the round would. I've seen some nasty injuries from blanks

Are you talking about cap guns?

#3 GMA79

GMA79

I Need A Life !!!

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:20 AM

Blank firers and ammo is legal to own without a licence, however UK-legal blank firers are different to those sold on the continent. Originally the ones sold in the UK were just different in that they had a completely blocked "barrel" and fired out a hole in the top, however a few years ago all blank firers were re-assessed and needed modifications to ensure they more difficult to convert to firing live rounds. I think the ones sold on the continent are still the same as before.

Edited by g_attrill, 17 October 2008 - 03:21 AM.

#4 matt_w

matt_w

I Need A Life !!!

• Members
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

I think that you might find that blank ammo is not subject to the firearms (you'd be better discussing this on www.PoliceCommunity.co.uk) Act if it is less than 1 inch in diameter. 8mm blanks do not require am FAC.

#5 MrBlonde

MrBlonde

Forum Pain

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

As per the above posts, no FAC required but you do need to be over 18 to purchase the 'ammo'
Some blank firing pistols (latest Glocks for example) are classed as RIFs and fall under the VCR Bill, so you need a suitable reason to purchase.

#6 k9nfm

k9nfm

On My Way

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

I know this is a US company but companies in the UK will also sell the same. Could easily be confused with a live firearm.

http://www.elitek9.c..._Guns/index.htm

#7 Gabba

Gabba

I Need A Life !!!

• Power Users
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

I know this is a US company but companies in the UK will also sell the same. Could easily be confused with a live firearm.

http://www.elitek9.c..._Guns/index.htm

Can they also be easly bored out to convert them to firing weapons, I know starter pistols can, was those Mac-10 that were converted blank firers.

#8 MrBlonde

MrBlonde

Forum Pain

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

Can they also be easly bored out to convert them to firing weapons, I know starter pistols can, was those Mac-10 that were converted blank firers.

Blank-firers load, fire, cycle and eject just like the real thing (depending on model obviously) so anything is possible, however the case pressure of a real round of 9mm is WAY higher than a blank 9mm PAK so it's quite likely that once you've taken the time to bore out the barrel, the first time you fire it you'll lose your hand as the gun self destructs.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users