232 replies to this topic

#1 Revenue_Protection_Inspect

Revenue_Protection_Inspect

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

Hello all,

As a Railway Employee and (RPI) It is my job to Deal with ticket less travel and fraudulent travel on trains and at stations. Countless times I have had to remind Special constables of there entitlement to free travel and its Limitations. It sometimes seems to be futile, So I’ve decided to come on here and make it clear to you in the most politest way. This may well prevent any unnecessary embarrassing situations for you. I work for a rail company that serves London so this is mainly Aimed at the MET specials. Here is a break down on the facts for free travel for met police special constables.

YOU HAVE
Free anytime unlimited travel on all of TFL’s services Underground/Busses/Trams/DLR

YOU DO NOT HAVE:
Free travel on any National rail service regardless if it does or does not fall with in the TFL travel card zones.

Most national rail Train operators will turn a blind eye to you travelling on their trains. However, it is an offence to board a train and not have a ticket if there was an opportunity for you to get one before boarding. You must buy a ticket before boarding any national rail train (Unless on duty and in FULL uniform. This is of course if you have a suspect on a train that you would like to catch/question ect.)

This prevents people applying for the Met specials for all the wrong reasons.
EXAMPLE: Mr Blogs lives in Cambridge and travels to work in London’s east end 5 days a week. He pays £4,620 a year for his ticket. So he joins the Met specials works 96 hours a year and gets free travel to his day job. He would have to Earn Approximately £100,000 per year in his job for it to not be worth it. Would Mr Blogs be a good Special? I don’t think so.

….So

A word of warning. If you are on a main Line train and you show your Warrant Card and the ticket officer sees you are a special Constable He may ask you if you have a ticket. If you say no(yet you have had an opportunity to get one beforehand )he may ask for your name and address (which you must give by law. ( if you don’t have a ticket) you then risk an interview under caution and possible prosecution. If you’re lucky you may be sold a ticket or Issued a Penalty Fare instead .

Josh.

#2 Darkness

Darkness

Forum Legend

• Excluded
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

RPI on duty in plain clothes? I've had occasion to take a SC with me in those circumstances in the last month...

#3 JP7

JP7

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

It's a good thing that the OP has posted the topic as it's a question that's often asked here. Now there is a definitive answer from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Edited by Whopper MacBig, 01 September 2008 - 08:14 PM.
Removed reference to earlier post

#4 En Garde

En Garde

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

I actully think this guys has been far from rude...quite the opposite in fact. He has taken the time to come on here and register and basically give Specials who may want to abuse their Warrant card or make an honest mistake a gentle reminder. Whats wrong with that?

Welcome to the forum by the way Revenue_Protection_Inspect.

EG

#5 Bananaman

Bananaman

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

Top post from Revenue_Protection_Inspect. To the point, extremely clear and honest. No problems with this post at all. Good on you for coming on here and making it as clear as it can be for those who continue to (apparently, ahem) not understand the simple rules of this excellent concession we are lucky to have.

#6 helen w

helen w

Starting Out

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

as i am only going through the very long application process i didnt even know that you got free travel, but now i do and i know what i can and cant do with it you learn something new everyday thanks for telling me.

#7 Revenue_Protection_Inspect

Revenue_Protection_Inspect

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

Hi,

There was Zero intention on my part to come across rude or aggressive. Thanks for Understanding guys.

It's sometimes hard for us because you will most likely have your ticket checked about by two different people when making a national rail Journey in London. So one of the classic lines I use when I see, Not only a SC warrant card But also forces from all over the UK, is (under my berth) "Not officially valid but I wont tell if you wont" meaning if someone questions you as to why you don't have a valid ticket please don't say "O that ticket guy on the 08:14 from London Kings Cross said it was ok" That will get me right in the brown stuff. :prone:

#8 MetNugget

MetNugget

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

Im not a Special, Just like you mate.

Best leave that judgement to Specials and Regulars :prone:

And from a Special's opinion... Fair post, cheers!

:D

#9 Dr Jamie?

Dr Jamie?

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

RPI if you see the Met section you'll see this has been done to death.
I don't know any officers who wouldn't know the limitations of the free travel. If you do catch officers doing it I assume they know what they are doing.

#10 Gettaway

Gettaway

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

Hi,

There was Zero intention on my part to come across rude or aggressive. Thanks for Understanding guys.

It's sometimes hard for us because you will most likely have your ticket checked about by two different people when making a national rail Journey in London. So one of the classic lines I use when I see, Not only a SC warrant card But also forces from all over the UK, is (under my berth) "Not officially valid but I wont tell if you wont" meaning if someone questions you as to why you don't have a valid ticket please don't say "O that ticket guy on the 08:14 from London Kings Cross said it was ok" That will get me right in the brown stuff. :D

Welcome aboard...

Could you tell me what the rules are for Police officers from "all over the UK" ? :prone: Do those of us from the sticks have to pay on the tube?

#11 Be_Happy

Be_Happy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

RPI... sorry you received a rather unnecessarily rude welcome. We're usually quite a friendly bunch!

Thanks for the informative post, straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

For those people who don't believe some specials join up just to get free travel- it happens more than you would expect!

#12 Chuckster

Chuckster

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 6,074 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

This post should probably be pinned for everyone that comes here asking about rail concessions... although saying that, it wouild still be ignored and the question would be asked anyway.

#13 Darkness

Darkness

Forum Legend

• Excluded
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

Could you tell me what the rules are for Police officers from "all over the UK" ? :prone: Do those of us from the sticks have to pay on the tube?

Rules on the tube say: Met, CoLP, BTP, Essex and Herts can brief it as there is an official agreement in place. Any other forces need to contact TfL with a business case as to why they need it.

However most countie mountie badges look the same anyway so will often be allowed to pass the barrier BUT this is not the same as having permission to travel. Headset will come along shortly and fill people in on implied permission and the like cos I can't type it on my Blackberry,.

After 7/7 all police officers were allowed to use the tube regardless of their force and most were informed of this. I've never seen this permission removed BUT I have seen a barrier guy at Colindale stop a countie PC who was at Hendon and make him buy a ticket...

#14 Whopper MacBig

Whopper MacBig

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 17,658 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

I've covered up all the rude bits on the basis that this seems like a useful post (given the extent to which this gets discussed on here.)

#15 Lee Makilo

Lee Makilo

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

Hi all,

If I'm travelling somewhere by train, before I leave I contact the railway company's Customer Services and have said that I'm a Special Constable for BTP, and what travel concessions do you have for BTP? If the say none, I dont use my Warrant Card, however, a friend of mine also a Special with BTP called South Eastern Railway and enquired, specials of BTP get free travel, I have contacted Arriva Trains Wales and enquired they also have free travel, whether Special Constable or Regular. However this may be just a BTP thing being the railways and all.

Regards,

Bravo Echo November

#16 Darkness

Darkness

Forum Legend

• Excluded
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

BEN, I really don't mind where you brief it and nor do your train company BUT what do your force say about it all?

Also as a quite new special'(I think) do you feel confident showing out as job and then having to deal with any incident, bearing in mind doing nothing is never an option...

#17 lucylovemachine

lucylovemachine

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

im so confused i think i'll just buy a ticket wherever i go!

#18 Lee Makilo

Lee Makilo

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

BEN, I really don't mind where you brief it and nor do your train company BUT what do your force say about it all?

Also as a quite new special'(I think) do you feel confident showing out as job and then having to deal with any incident, bearing in mind doing nothing is never an option...

Darkness, I've only enquired about it, not used or done it. Away from london i'd buy a ticket anyway. and at the moment as a "quite" new special, on or off duty i would assess every situation before going in flashing my warrant card about. Officer saftey is always key. and Arriva trains wales is policed by BTP and I always see them around there.

Edited by Bravo Echo November, 01 September 2008 - 08:44 PM.

#19 WT

WT

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 7,041 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:09 PM

Rules on the tube say: Met, CoLP, BTP, Essex and Herts can brief it as there is an official agreement in place. Any other forces need to contact TfL with a business case as to why they need it.

However most countie mountie badges look the same anyway so will often be allowed to pass the barrier BUT this is not the same as having permission to travel. Headset will come along shortly and fill people in on implied permission and the like cos I can't type it on my Blackberry,.

After 7/7 all police officers were allowed to use the tube regardless of their force and most were informed of this. I've never seen this permission removed BUT I have seen a barrier guy at Colindale stop a countie PC who was at Hendon and make him buy a ticket...

TVP have the same concessions in London as well.

#20 Muse2k8

Muse2k8

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:41 PM

So what is the rules for, say a reg from Edinburgh wishing to travel to York. Can s/he brief it or is it a ticket?

#21 Headset57

Headset57

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:40 PM

As per the BTP Intranet i will post the official travel restrictions for BTP PC, PCSO, SC regarding the 70 mile residential travel ( from Charring Cross, Central London ) later, unless someone beats me to it!. It's 'almost the same for Met and City PC's only ).

#22 HazRat

HazRat

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:35 AM

RPI,

Thanks for the very informative post. I have not heard about many SC's or police staff [ab]using their passes for free travel so wondered how much of a problem it really is? As a regular I use the train daily and get checked infrequently. When I do have to show my warrant the RPI sees the leather wallet, I barely get it open when they say "Thanks" and move onto the next person. So from my perspective they never really verify that I an entitled.

#23 Giraffe

Giraffe

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 16,486 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:17 AM

So what is the rules for, say a reg from Edinburgh wishing to travel to York. Can s/he brief it or is it a ticket?

I would imagine no. Assides from whether any rail companies are happy with it (or not), an Edinburgh officer (either reg or special) doesn't have full police powers outside of Scotland (they basically can arrest suspects for offences commited in Scotland who've crossed the border into E&W, and of course still they have any person powers as well).

#24 Darkness

Darkness

Forum Legend

• Excluded
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:09 AM

TVP have the same concessions in London as well.

Apologies mate, I knew I'd miss one out :prone:

#25 Headset57

Headset57

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

Apologies mate, I knew I'd miss one out :prone:

I've seen that on here, but not in print in the ATOC schedule about TVP. I doubt that TVP SC's / PCSO's get the free travel as the Met ones don't.

BTP / MPS / CoLP PC's have 70 mile travel for residential purposes from to London ( the way point being Charing Cross ). This includes travel on all TFL services and ATOC train companies in the south east.
Only BTP SC / PCSO's Have the 70 mile travel for residential purposes, as above . Thereafter, BTP ( only ) PC's / SC's / PCSO's have the above and then have the staff 1/4 rate privellege ticket travel to any destination ( this being 75% off the fare ).
BTP SC / PCSO outside London only get 8 miles residential travel and the priv rate above.
No other force officially gets the staff priv rate.

As you can imagine BTP get more than a HO Force, including family priv rates..

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users