8 replies to this topic

#1 Trojan631

Trojan631

PoliceSpecials.com Trojan

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

Hey all need some help,

Just got myself a lovely 9 week old Labrador cross German Shepard puppy called Dexter and need to get him insured had a look at a few sites and all seem quite good with Virgin money being the best so far and Direct Line and Tesco being the worse.

Just wondering if anyone here has had or does have pet insurance and if they can recommend a specific company or policy, i am looking for one with a fairly low excess i don't mind paying more on the premium's each month.

Hes due to be chipped next week so i am not sure if that lowers the cost or not.

Look forward to the replies :)

Chris

oh and here is a piccy :eek:

Attached File  DSC00013.JPG   362.43KB   19 downloads

#2 Westy

Westy

The One and Only

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

I don't have a dog, so can't help, just wanted to say that he's gorgeous :eek:

#3 Godfather

Godfather

Forum Convert

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

By best don't go for cheapest, its a false saving. Many will not pay out for a long list of illnesses and conditions and will cancel the policy after 12 months of treatments, only the best will pay continuously. It costs a few quid more but its really worth it, after all you really would NOT want to pay some of the vets bills you could end up with!

PetPlan is probably the best in my opinion, they paid out a few thousand for a cat my Mu had, constant treatment over a few years, pretty much every other policy would have cancelled after 12 months and some would not have covered the illnesses anyway. Also check the small print, miss a vets visit or delay an annual jab by a few days and if you dog needs treating you might find the policy void.

And yeah he is cute :eek:

By best don't go for cheapest, its a false saving. Many will not pay out for a long list of illnesses and conditions and will cancel the policy after 12 months of treatments, only the best will pay continuously. It costs a few quid more but its really worth it, after all you really would NOT want to pay some of the vets bills you could end up with!

PetPlan is probably the best in my opinion, they paid out a few thousand for a cat my Mu had, constant treatment over a few years, pretty much every other policy would have cancelled after 12 months and some would not have covered the illnesses anyway. Also check the small print, miss a vets visit or delay an annual jab by a few days and if you dog needs treating you might find the policy void.

And yeah he is cute :)

#4 Professional_Cynic

Professional_Cynic

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

have you tried the kennel clubs's website?

www.thekennelclub.org.uk

Edited by DarkHorse, 06 March 2008 - 05:02 PM.

#5 Godfather

Godfather

Forum Convert

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

have you tried the kennel clubs's website?

www.thekennelclub.org.uk

I would never support the kennel club as their policy is to destroy any puppy that is not perfect. I used to do some voluntary work for a dalmatian rescue centre taking in all the puppies with patches rather than perfect spots and all those with blue eyes, all should have been drowned as was the KK policy back then, though I believe they now suggest you ask a vet to put them to sleep.

#6 Hurricane

Hurricane

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

How disturbing.

I've got pet insurance with Sainsburys. Not had to claim yet, so I don't know how they will rank once I have to. I hope they'll be good. Not heard any complaints.

#7 SierraLimaSierra

SierraLimaSierra

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Who did you go with in the end?

Sadly, I consider myself quite knowledgeable on pet insurance, claims and whatnot.

#8 IanW

IanW

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Who did you go with in the end?

Sadly, I consider myself quite knowledgeable on pet insurance, claims and whatnot.
Holy Thread resurrection! As this was approaching 5 years ago don't expect a reply ;)

#9 SierraLimaSierra

SierraLimaSierra

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Well I don't really but other people may respond, oh wait ;)

Can you tell I'm bored?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users